Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
The easiest way to shut me up about this would probably be to provide such a raw to look at. (After I report on whatever I find in it of course.)
Check it out here. IMGP6776

The RAW file looks same as back of camera in LR4, so maybe your RAW software will show more.

I used the same location as in the samples above, and my sample looks like the Q7 default image.

If your view of this file shows the blocked contact image field of view and dark corners then you are correct.

10-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Check it out here. IMGP6776

The RAW file looks same as back of camera in LR4, so maybe your RAW software will show more.

I used the same location as in the samples above, and my sample looks like the Q7 default image.

If your view of this file shows the blocked contact image field of view and dark corners then you are correct.
The file has 4064 x 3000 pixels of sensor information, which is of course the whole sensor. The ActiveArea tag trims 64 pixels on the right, which gives the 4000 x 3000 that we usually see. DefaultCropOrigin is (185, 139) and DefaultCropSize is (3629, 2722), which gives the area seen in the preview jpeg (or close enough anyway). You can get almost all the area by default in RawTherapee (3992 x 2992 for some reason), and of course its trivial to modify the file to not crop anything in any other raw converter.

I made a python script to modify the files in such a manner, you can download it here, if you know how to use such things. (There is no user interface.)

I attached what RawTherapee gives me with just applying the default profile and downscaling.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
10-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good work, drougge! Looks like folks have a choice with the Q7.
Thanks for the python script, it may come in handy.
10-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The results both Larry and drougge have identified seem to be quite common in the industry. My Canon S100 also shows a wider image in Raw Therapee than in the Canon Raw or Jpeg files. My Q also shows a wider image using the 02 lens when viewed using Raw Therapee. Seems most camera manufactures are lens correcting even in raw. The images show more distortion without correction and crop but also more of the image. My 03 still has not arrived (must be the shutdown slowing the post office) but it will be interesting to see what if any lens correction Pentax does in the Q and 03

Hans

10-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #95

Toronto Airport and Park

Terminal 3 at Pearson International Airport in Toronto (YYZ):

Fall colours at Edwards Gardens/Wilket Creek Park:

10-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #96
Veteran Member

You guys are making me feel bad, I ordered a 03 on 10/01/2013 and it was lost in the transition between UPS and USPS, Adorama has started a search with both USPS ans UPS but nothing yet. I am sure they will send a new one but it would have been fun on my trip to Niagara Falls this week. My luck with Q lenses leaves something to be desired first a bad 06 now a lost 03, Oh well

Hans
10-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #97

Well, that's rotten luck Hans, hope it appears soon. The fish-eye takes the Q fun factor to another level, I find. I'd put the blame on UPS myself -- besides their rep for lost/damaged packages, one of the trucks knocked me off my bike at the end of May. (Yes I am carrying a grudge.) Just a broken ankle and busted ribs, but that took me out of photography for much of the summer.

Anyhow, you should make a shot list of all the things you think would look neat with the fish-eye and you'll surely hit the ground running when it finally arrives. I sometimes put in on a monopod and use the intervalometer for some interesting overhead shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
You guys are making me feel bad, I ordered a 03 on 10/01/2013 and it was lost in the transition between UPS and USPS, Adorama has started a search with both USPS ans UPS but nothing yet. I am sure they will send a new one but it would have been fun on my trip to Niagara Falls this week. My luck with Q lenses leaves something to be desired first a bad 06 now a lost 03, Oh well

Hans

Last edited by NotSteve; 10-14-2013 at 04:20 PM.
10-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote

Hans
Wow Hans you do have bad Q luck - hope it shows up soon.
10-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bummer Hans. Hope you get the fisheye soon. You do have bad luck. The FE is so much fun on the Q.
thanks
barondla
10-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #100
Veteran Member

03 10 days late

I GOT IT, a few days late and after I returned from Niagara Falls, Oh well, it's a fun little lens. Short walk in a local park

Hans
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 

Last edited by hnikesch; 10-21-2013 at 02:02 PM.
10-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It finally showed up? Good work on those park shots.
10-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #102
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

At a recent local Pentax outing for a Indian Fire Walking Festival.
10-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #103

Here's a couple more. If you know downtown Toronto, you might know this used to be called BCE Place. Went there specifically to shoot the Q with the fisheye. The first is a bit out of focus, but I still like it.

10-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
Here's a couple more. If you know downtown Toronto, you might know this used to be called BCE Place. Went there specifically to shoot the Q with the fisheye. The first is a bit out of focus, but I still like it.
Cool shots, I haven't been to Toronto since the 80's so this must have been built after that, at first I assumed the Eaton center mall but it didn't look right. You are correct I will have to make a list of places to shoot

Hans
10-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Some bridges with the 03, the Blue Water Bridge Port Huron Mi. USA to Canada and a small foot bridge over a local river. Steam engine and a local park. Fun little lens

Hans
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo