Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax Q Manual Focus Help

Hi Folks,

Currently I'm limited to a Pentax Q after my K200D went AWOL and one thing I miss is CiF - sooo useful in manual mode.

For the Q I just have the 8.5mm as native plus a selection of K-mount lenses.

I can handle the focusing reasonably well but the lack of CiF is annoying to say the least, I have focus peaking enabled but really struggle to tell if it's activated!!! I think I'm getting there but any tips for improving it would be appreciated as most of my photography will be with a 28mm or 50mm lens rather than the 8.5mm as I need the extra reach.

Thanks

Kat

06-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the AF menu you can enable focus assist which magnifies the display by 2x or 4x.
You activate it by hitting OK.
It turns off when you depress the shutter button.
You can also disable power save mode to let the lcd stay active longer when manual focusing.
06-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi Kat,

MF with the Q is challenging. The Focus Peaking feature is not as well implemented as in some other cameras, but I still find it useful. For me, the use of an LCD loupe is probably the biggest aid to MF, and it makes the Peaking more apparent. even if it's not really pronounced. For many, as crewl1 suggests the magnified focus assist is even more helpful, with or without the Peaking activated. I think each has to find the best method for their use. I like Peaking without the magnified assist. I had to learn to trust the Peaking, look for the highest contrast border on my subject and even if only a few pixels showed the enhanced contrast, take the shot and then take a look at the result. It takes practice, so be patient. Technique is also important -- a lot of people find it challenging to shoot tele, and the Q's crop factor gets you into ultra tele range very quickly at 55mm, so careful technique becomes even more important when shooting adapted lenses. Using an LCD loupe actually helps here also as it allows you another anchor against your face and this gives you a steadier hold than you'd get at arm's length. Keep at it, the Q is a challenging camera to shoot with adapted lenses. I continue to get better at it as time goes on, and I've been shooting the Q with long adapted lenses for over a year now. . .

Scott
06-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks both, so in short - practice and just getting used to it.

Would I be right in thinking it's worth perhaps saving up for the 06?

I love using the K-lenses and will definitely practice more and I like esoteric stuff anyway ( I want to mount a 6x7 lens on it just cos I can!!! ) but sometimes the convenience of autofocus will be useful, especially given the Q isn't as MF as a DSLR...

That said I do need to replace the DSLR so maybe the cash is better in that direction?

06-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 06 is a very nice lens and will give you some reach if you need it.
With the latest firmware upgrades the Q has very snappy and accurate AF.
Build quality is just OK, I have taken the advice of others and added a shim to make it handle better.
See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/210797-06-lens.html#post2231907
08-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #6

Sound

Hi folks!

some cameras do have a *beep* sound when the center portion is on focus but apparently my Pentax Q doesnt have this feature on.
Anyone really knows if the Pentax Q could have this beep enabled?

Thanks
08-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Hi anjosphfa,

The assumption is that focus confirmation with manual focus in a Contrast Detection AF system is more challenging than I imagine (it seems like it would be a relatively easy proposition). IIRC, the K01 does not have this either. I would also assume that if they could do focus confirmation, then CIF (Focus Trap) would also be possible since if you can trigger a beep, the same electronic signal could trigger the shutter. I hope this is something they are working on, but as I said, it might be harder to do than it would seem.

Scott