Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Looking at all this product growth and evolution in Q mount makes me more convinced than ever that something is going to happen in K-mount too.

If they put this much energy and step-by-step focus into tuning and improving Q, I don't think Pentax are going to stop at just jazzing up APS-C within K-mount anymore. They are going to go beyond APS-C, I reckon.
You may have something there. I know that the 24mp sensor was not the hit that everyone thought it was going to be, and Pentax has a history of taking a sensor and shaking it like a dog shakes a rat. I doubt that if they became aware of serious failings of a sensor they would proceed unless they were already in production. I believe that is why we have seen the 16mp sensor used over and over again by them for the last couple years. I must say that what they did to it in the IIs is astounding. So, given their work on the Q system to date your reasoning makes perfect sense - particularly in light of the problems with new sensors over the past year or more.

06-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I think they've pretty much maxed out the capabilities of the excellent Sony 16MP APS-C sensor with the K-5IIs, so they will move onto a 24MP sensor of good quality for the next APS-C model, one which has already been de-bugged in the field by someone else - like Nikon .

But the Q7 tells me they really want to keep pushing until they get the best possible result out of their mounts. FF lets them pursue that goal, and now all the stars may be aligning towards that.
06-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"We are committed to Q, K-mount and 645, but Q is the exciting line, where we see the best chance for real growth." - Jim Malcolm.
06-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There do appear to be some issues with full use of several of the existing Q lenses with the new Q7. This was found on the Pentax Japan Q7 page:

Q7?PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

"*The 01, 02, 06, and 07 lenses are fully compatible with the 1/1.7-inch size. The ratio for the lens focal length equivalent in 35 mm format has become approximately 4.6. For the 03, 04, and 05 lenses, images are recorded after trimming processing for an angle of view optimized to the image circle of each."

06-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Did they say anything about flash sync with the electronic shutter or improved response while using the electric shutter?
06-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Did they say anything about flash sync with the electronic shutter or improved response while using the electric shutter?
What I have found is the following, fairly generic, statement about flash:
"The pop-up flash mechanism makes it less likely that a lens shadow will appear in the image, and it is also effective for preventing red-eye in people shots. The flash can also handle both slow-speed synchronization, which can capture both the subject and background in proper exposure in sunset scenes, and trailing curtain synchronization, which can naturally capture the trail made by a car’s lights."

And

Built-in Flash Built-in retractable P-TTL flash
Guide number: approx. 4.9 (ISO100/m) / approx. 7 (ISO200/m) Angle ofview: coverage: wide angle-lens, equivalent to 28mm in 35mm format Flash Modes P-TTL, Red-eye Reduction, Slow-speed Sync, Trailing Curtain Sync Sync Speed Lens shutter: Internal flash 1/2000 seconds, External flash 1/250seconds; Electronic shutter: 1/13 second Flash Exposure
Compensation -2.0 to +1.0 EV
06-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Electronic shutter: 1/13 second
Thanks, but that is a shame. I wonder why the limitation exists. The V1's sync is 1/60 seconds for the electronic shutter. I wonder if this can be fixed in a firmware update. One extra stop of IS should help a bit, though. They should also release a tilt flash for the system.

06-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So the Q7 gives up ground to the Q10 in electronic shutter flash sync (1/30 to 1/15). Bummer. Was hoping to match Q10 or do even better.

Q7 shoots down my hope for 180 degree FE. If Pentax thought so far ahead, why are they having to trim the image? Since the 4 & 5 are Toy lenses why even bother triming them? They were made for distortion anyway.
thanks
barondla
06-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #24

QuoteQuote:
Full HD Video is now ..(1920x1080,16:9, 30fps / 25fps / 24fps)
But still without stereo sound?