Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 05:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax Q7: Will the larger sensor result in image circle problems?

The Pentax Q7 has a larger sensor than previous Q cameras. Do existing lenses have image circles large enough to cover the larger sensor?

I think Pentax made a smart choice by using a larger sensor. If they release new lenses to match, they'll have a winner.

--DragonLord

06-13-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hopefully there won't be any vignetting with existing lenses. One of the articles that leaked the Q7 a day or two ago claimed that the image circle is big enough.And new lenses should be designed for the newer, bigger sensor. I think it was definitely a step in the right direction, so the Q can comfortably beat P&S and mobile phones, not only in features, but also in concrete hardware
06-13-2013, 05:28 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Do existing lenses have image circles large enough to cover the larger sensor?
Yes they do.
06-13-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I suspect they wouldn't be releasing a complete kit of the new Q7 with all seven existing Q-mount lenses if any of them had image circle issues with it, especially not for a price of $1,200 or so (IIRC).

06-13-2013, 05:36 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I suspect they wouldn't be releasing a complete kit of the new Q7 with all seven existing Q-mount lenses if any of them had image circle issues with it, especially not for a price of $1,200 or so (IIRC).
Agreed. It also doesn't take too much effort to read at least one other thread or article, which would have very quickly let the first two posters know that the lenses were designed with the increased sensor size in mind... But trolls tend not to be too clever, they just seem to want to spread their negativity
06-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So, the C mount lens should behave even better, no?
06-13-2013, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bluefoam Quote
But trolls tend not to be too clever, they just seem to want to spread their negativity
Trolls? Please. Its was a completely legitimate question.
Btw, negativity isnt 'out there', its in the person interpreting things

06-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Agreed. It also doesn't take too much effort to read at least one other thread or article, which would have very quickly let the first two posters know that the lenses were designed with the increased sensor size in mind... But trolls tend not to be too clever, they just seem to want to spread their negativity
To clarify, I'm not trolling, and I'm sorry for having missed that. I wasn't paying attention...

--DragonLord
06-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
The Pentax Q7 has a larger sensor than previous Q cameras. Do existing lenses have image circles large enough to cover the larger sensor?

I think Pentax made a smart choice by using a larger sensor. If they release new lenses to match, they'll have a winner.

--DragonLord
No need to match or make new lenses because of the sensor change. ALL the information available says that all the Q lenses will work just fine with the new Q7.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/227858-q7-improvements-over-q10.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/227800-q-lens-equivalents-q-q10-vs-q7.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/227817-q7-pics-info-pentax-japan-site.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/227746-q7-specs-according-digicame-info.html
06-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But trolls tend not to be too clever, they just seem to want to spread their negativity
DragonLord - July 2010; 578 Posts; 41 Likes. Very nice Avatar.