Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Q Optio Think Tank Bag Hack

Ok, here is my "hack" for carrying the Pentax Q and the following kit.

Q with 02 Zoom
06 Telephoto
Fish Eye
Prime
Adapter K to Q
Battery, Remote, and other bits and pieces

I had bought two of the Optio Bags to hold the Q because a single bag can't hold everything. Having two bags was a pain.
To make matter worse the Optio bags are not compatible with my Think Tank System as the belt loops on the Optio bag is terrible.

Because I can't attach the Optio Bags as easy as the Think Tank bags, I was leaving my Q kit home more than I wanted to.

Then it hit me.

Using the Think Tank Photo Speed Changer V2.0

I could place my Optio bag inside the speed changer.

I took the cover of the Optio bag, and rolled it back, and then used one of the inserts from the Speed Changer to cover the opening of the Optio bag.

As many bags are too deep for the Q, the dual height from the Optio bag underneath was perfect.

Ok, my *hack* is not a cheap solution, but I now have an easy *go-to-Q* bag that fits in with my existing Think Tank system.

One day someone will make a bag that is short enough or designed for smaller cameras/lenses, but until then here is my solution.

06-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you are happy. I found a small Tamrac bag that works a treat with my Q system.
06-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Glad you are happy. I found a small Tamrac bag that works a treat with my Q system.
Isn't it too deep?
Do you have a belt system already?
I have everything in Think Tank, and my K5 is always on my belt.
I hated not being able to "load out" my Q on the Think Tank.

As for other bags, I couldn't find a bag with the right proportions for the Q.

06-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Isn't it too deep?
Do you have a belt system already?
I have everything in Think Tank, and my K5 is always on my belt.
I hated not being able to "load out" my Q on the Think Tank.

As for other bags, I couldn't find a bag with the right proportions for the Q.

It holds 2 Qs, the 06 & 02/01 on the camera and the other lens under a velcro shelf, plus the 03 in a pouch/sleeve built into the front pocket, plus 4 extra batteries, 3 filters, body cap, extra SD card, a mini tripod, cleaning cloth, lens pen, remote, and viewfinder. I divide the main compartment into two vertical sections 40/60 and put one Q standing upright on the 40 side and put a horizontal velcro shelf on the 60 side with the extra lens and viewfinder under it and the 2nd Q sitting with the LCD down onto the shelf and the lens pointed up. The front pocket holds 4 batteries, the remote, the 03 lens (in the pocket with the cell phone in the picture - its like it was made for the 03 it fits so perfectly), the mini-tripod goes in the front top lid zipped compartment with the pen and cleaning cloth. The lid's interior pocket holds 3 filters. The bag has belt loops on the back and wide loops on the sides that I can attach things to as well.

Last edited by Docrwm; 06-13-2013 at 05:33 PM.
06-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I thought maybe the Thinktank Skin Body Bag (about $40-ish) would do the trick. It's supposed to hold a large body like a D4 or a 1Dx but it comes with some dividers which could be good for Q- kit (or even a few Ltd lenses actually).

I dont have the "body bag" but use a narower Skin 75 popdown which only has 1 divder but I find it OK for a K-5 and 3 small primes. It'd work for the Q too I suppose, might just be a bit deep.

Currently my Q+01 is stored in an FA31 pouch, with the 02 lens in a DA21 pouch and both then fit inside a large zipper case from my Sigma 8-16. These 3 cases cost me a couple of grand !!!.