Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How does the Samsung NX1000 compare to the Q7?

I love my Pentax K-5 and K-01, but both are larger than I sometimes want to carry. I recently bought a Samsung NX1000 (got a good deal on it) and two OIS lenses (18-55mm, 55-200mm) and a 45mm prime lens, but am now wondering if I should have waited for the Q7. Does anyone have an idea of how these two cameras compare in the real world? I know about the sensor size differences and the lack of in-camera shake reduction in the Samsung. I guess what I'm asking is how do photos taken with each compare, what is the quality of the photographs, ease of use.

Lois
Who is thinking about getting another camera...

06-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No one knows the answer to that because the Q7 has not shipped yet. You'll have to wait until after July 5th in Japan and September in the US for anyone to answer those questions.
06-13-2013, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They are completely different cameras to me, both my brothers' NX1000 and my Q are really good ones though. Do you want something different that feels like a mini DSLR with a "fun-twist" which you also can use for super-tele work, go with the Q. Do you want something that takes the DSLR's place in image quality and optical qualities and makes sharing really fast and easy, go with NX1000.
Size isn't really the question as Samsung makes amazing small and cheap primes that Pentax would love to add to their line up. It's really only Pentax and Samsung that makes such amazing prime lenses.
06-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Forum Member

Q7 is the best Q camera. The NX1000 is the worst NX camera.
Q7 is new. NX1000 is old.
The NX lenses are huge (big) and heavy compared to Q lenses.
Probably the NX1000 have less noise for the APS-C Sensor.
The NX have more bokeh, good for protraits and newstyle streetshoots.
The Q7 have more deep to field, good for landscape and oldstyle streetshoots.

06-13-2013, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElvisQ Quote
I think that's a pretty incorrect statement.

NX1000 got a newer framework than the Q7 which is essentially a Q reincarnation x2 with a slightly bigger sensor. I think the controls leans slightly in Q's favor due to less menu diving but at the same time NX got the I-function. NX got the easy WIFI sharing down and somewhat more evolved liveview. Q has the shake reduction, ND-filter and more professional functions/menu. I find the NX1000 focus peaking slightly better most of the time but sometimes the Q works better.

NX pancakes are small, light and optically really really good. My brother got the 30/2.0 and his girlfriend the 20/2.8, both lenses are wonderful and tiny!

DOF is somewhat true for that kind of shooting as you shoot with different magnification levels to frame the shot the same, though you can stop down a lot more with the bigger sensor and still maintain image quality.

At times I've been tempted to get a NX myself as a second camera, but each time the Q whispers a haunting spell to me and I'm hooked again to its fun factor and use for super-tele shots. The new super-tiny NX fisheye doesn't help though. Both are really nice cameras and you cant go wrong!
06-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
At times I've been tempted to get a NX myself as a second camera, but each time the Q whispers a haunting spell to me and I'm hooked again to its fun factor and use for super-tele shots. The new super-tiny NX fisheye doesn't help though. Both are really nice cameras and you cant go wrong!
Well, that makes me feel better about my choice. I've been out with it, using all the lenses, and been pleased with the results. However, my loyalty to Pentax (first one bought about 15 years ago) makes me feel a little guilty about using a Samsung...
06-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lebjohnson Quote
Well, that makes me feel better about my choice. I've been out with it, using all the lenses, and been pleased with the results. However, my loyalty to Pentax (first one bought about 15 years ago) makes me feel a little guilty about using a Samsung...
Get the primes, they are way more interesting than the zooms and really suits the camera much better if you ask me. They are as cheap as the toy Q lenses on Ebay, at least here in Europe.

If you don't like the camera go for the Q as it got a completely different feel to it.
06-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by lebjohnson Quote
I love my Pentax K-5 and K-01, but both are larger than I sometimes want to carry. I recently bought a Samsung NX1000 (got a good deal on it) and two OIS lenses (18-55mm, 55-200mm) and a 45mm prime lens, but am now wondering if I should have waited for the Q7. Does anyone have an idea of how these two cameras compare in the real world? I know about the sensor size differences and the lack of in-camera shake reduction in the Samsung. I guess what I'm asking is how do photos taken with each compare, what is the quality of the photographs, ease of use.

Lois
Who is thinking about getting another camera...
Bigger sensor usually means better image quality. Expect the Q7 to do about as well as the MX-1 in that department.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Samsung lenses that you have are a bit large, but the 30/2 and 20/2.8 are as small as the 01 prime. They are really excellent too.
06-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElvisQ Quote
Here is a link to the Singapore forum that one forumer has shot fashion/Portraits with a Q.
06-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Here is a link to the Singapore forum that one forumer has shot fashion/Portraits with a Q.
So, where is the link?
06-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
I like to see that
06-15-2013, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I think felixkh meant this thread.

Cheers!

Abbazz
06-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I went to a bar last night with my Samsung, and took photos of the band, no flash used. I used my prime lens, no OIS, f/1.8-45mm, got good clear photos at 1/20 shutter speed and ISO 800 with no perceptible noise. These results are going to make it easier to wait until the Q7 gets reviewed and a comparison is possible.