Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2013, 03:08 AM   #1
Forum Member

Cleaning Q sensor and lenses

I have the 01, 02, 03 and 06 lenses and the original "Q". I have noticed one or two specks of dust on the sensor and on some of the lenses, nothing to be alarmed at I hope.

Is there a special cleaning kit that I should get that is better suited to the small "Q". I have never cleaned lenses, let alone a sensor before. Any recommendations, what do you guys use?

06-17-2013, 05:24 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hakea Quote
I have the 01, 02, 03 and 06 lenses and the original "Q". I have noticed one or two specks of dust on the sensor and on some of the lenses, nothing to be alarmed at I hope.

Is there a special cleaning kit that I should get that is better suited to the small "Q". I have never cleaned lenses, let alone a sensor before. Any recommendations, what do you guys use?
I would try a rocket blower or similar before anything else. That should be enough if it's just dust. I've never had to use anything else on any camera. Just be careful so you don't poke the sensor with the tip of the blower.

If the lenses are dirty some gentle wiping with a lens cloth should do the trick, perhaps breathe on them first if needed. If it's only dust the blower should be enough for them too.
06-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Usually you can just ignore it. If it doesn't show up in your pictures there's no harm. The hot mirror on the Q (what you probably think of as "the sensor") is unusually far from the actual sensor, most dust spots on it don't show up in pictures. And dust on lenses almost never matters, it's always far from the sensor.

If you do need to clean, try a blower first, and something that's made for cleaning glasses second. (Or lenses of course, but in most places it's easier to get something made for glasses.)