Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'll post some more today, along with other samples.

Thanks, I really appreciate your taking the time to do these and sharing them with us.

06-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #17
Pentaxian

They're full size crops
Thanks, Adam! That's pretty impressive, certainly better than my K10D that I replaced only a year ago...
06-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow my Q is new but old.=)
06-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #19

Many thanks for taking the time to do this.

If you have one, I'd love to see what the fisheye lens is like on the larger sensor Q7 and whether it's
wider..
cropped, but slightly wider
cropped and no wider at all than the Q.

06-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Phil A Quote

If you have one, I'd love to see what the fisheye lens is like on the larger sensor Q7 and whether it's
wider..
I don't have the fisheye, unfortunately. I only have the 02 and maybe the 01 lens (can't remember for sure).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Why do I have a sudden craving for ice cream?
06-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Phil A Quote

wider..
Hmm, now that I think about it, the 03, 04, 05 lenses will work in a cropped mode on the Q7. Pentax states this in their Japanese Q7 press release.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member

As a jpg shooter, I can tell you that the custom image settings and high ISO NR settings are important, and the smaller the sensor, the more important they become. If the High ISO NR is set to Auto, then there will be significant smearing as ISO increases and the camera uses higher levels of NR. The in-camera NR is not sophisticated at all, as speed must be a priority, and the Q's processor needs to be physically small, so is not the most powerful. Using custom image settings of +2 for either Sharpening or Contrast will accentuate noise at any ISO with any compact sensor, and setting both at +2 really doesn't make much sense to me in a sampling comparing images at all ISO settings..

Shooting jpg generally gets a bad rap from a lot of people, but I don't really think that most people have ever used jpgs optimally. There's really no reason not to treat jpgs much differently than RAW in at least one sense -- assume that some PP will be necessary, and set the camera up to give the best base image for PP, then use the much more sophisticated PP editing tools that are available for use with a computer's much more powerful processor to give the best possible final image.

Adding contrast in-camera will shrink DR at higher ISO (where it becomes more limited naturally -- in addition to the limitation already imposed by the eight bit depth in jpg compared to the 12 bit depth of RAW), and it's pretty easy to see that adding contrast to noise will only make it more noticeable -- and small sensors show visible noise, even at base ISO. Adding in-camera sharpening which only uses local contrast enhancement (unsharp mask) only exacerbates the noise problem. Shooting jpgs at default custom image settings with in-camera NR set to its lowest would probably give a better indication of IQ potential of the sensor in a comparison like this.

I'm not trying to resurrect the RAW vs jpg debate here, just adding a critique of the methodology used in these examples from a jpg shooter.

. . . and many kudos to Adam for taking the time and trouble to supply the Quser Qommunity with some very early examples and impressions of what to expect from the Q7 when other sites feel that the concept of this system can be easily dismissed. Despite not really being a fan of the Q system, he continually adds information and insights to our Qommunity.

Scott
06-21-2013, 12:52 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Adding contrast in-camera will shrink DR at higher ISO (where it becomes more limited naturally -- in addition to the limitation already imposed by the eight bit depth in jpg compared to the 12 bit depth of RAW), and it's pretty easy to see that adding contrast to noise will only make it more noticeable -- and small sensors show visible noise, even at base ISO. Adding in-camera sharpening which only uses local contrast enhancement (unsharp mask) only exacerbates the noise problem. Shooting jpgs at default custom image settings with in-camera NR set to its lowest would probably give a better indication of IQ potential of the sensor in a comparison like this.
Very good advice! When my daughter got a K100D as a present as a 15 year old, I helped her getting the most out of her JPEGs (which she used in the first months before starting to use only RAW) by setting the camera to Natural mode and with minimal sharpening etc. There's a world of difference in what you can do with a K100D image shot in Natural mode and in Bright mode - the latter's images are almost impossible to process if you want a less contrasty and saturated image, while it's a piece of cake in PP to add sharpening, saturation etc. to the Natural images.
06-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What NR setting was used for the jpegs? Direct comparison to actual Q photos would be a lot more telling. I don't see any significant difference in sensor performance on DXOMark for Q vs. MX1.
06-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
What NR setting was used for the jpegs? Direct comparison to actual Q photos would be a lot more telling. I don't see any significant difference in sensor performance on DXOMark for Q vs. MX1.
There are no NR settings on the Q7, like on other Q's. I'll be able to shoot some direct comparisons next month so you can compare the two side-by-side. The Q7 should be noticeably better because of the lower pixel density, but it's definitely not going to be night and day as both sensors are still quite small.

Adam

06-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are no NR settings on the Q7, like on other Q's. I'll be able to shoot some direct comparisons next month so you can compare the two side-by-side. The Q7 should be noticeably better because of the lower pixel density, but it's definitely not going to be night and day as both sensors are still quite small.
Thanks, I'll look forward to seeing that. The main interest for me in the new sensor is the less extreme crop factor, which should help somewhat with K-mount lenses.
06-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #28
Veteran Member

There are no NR settings on the Q7, like on other Q's..
Huh? My Q has NR settings on it - menu tab 2 - 5th item in the list.
06-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Huh? My Q has NR settings on it - menu tab 2 - 5th item in the list.
Crap, I was thinking of the MX-1. In any case, can't wait until I have both cameras in hand.

Adam

06-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Crap, I was thinking of the MX-1. In any case, can't wait until I have both cameras in hand.
That's ok - I forget about the myriad of settings between my K-5 and Q all the time. As Scott (snostorm) has proven in his past posts, getting the NR and sharpening down low does a lot for the Q images.

Looking forward to your comparison shots - I'm very interested in the Q7 and your examples and comparisons will help me make an educated decision.