Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2013, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q7 High-ISO Samples

Here's a quick high-ISO test with the Q7 (in JPEG).

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to go out and shoot today, and I'm afraid I might be a bit short on time tomorrow as well. But over the weekend I should have plenty of samples for you guys.

So far, the results look nearly identical to those of the MX-1: notice how there's a fairly big jump between ISO 800 and 1600. But this is still much better than what the original Q/Q10 could deliver.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome the ISO800 looks usable now.
06-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Even the 1600 looks like it could be made to work out, at least better than the Q's 1600. 12,800 doesn't look useful though.
06-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Even the 1600 looks like it could be made to work out, at least better than the Q's 1600. 12,800 doesn't look useful though.
Yes, it looks like ISO 800 is no problem and ISO 1600 in a pinch. It wasn't that many years ago that people said the same thing about the first generation of micro four-thirds cameras. Time and technology march on.

06-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Yes, it looks like ISO 800 is no problem and ISO 1600 in a pinch. It wasn't that many years ago that people said the same thing about the first generation of micro four-thirds cameras. Time and technology march on.
And not too much before then that people were saying it about dSLRs.
06-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know this is a test for ISO, but unlike other compacts (even including the MX-1) a major feature of the Q is it has a hotshoe and this is the sort of shot you would use a bounce flash for. So technically the specs are you can shoot perfectly sharp natural images at ISO 100 with the Q in even the most dimly lit and even near pitch black rooms whenever you need to without the garish P&S wash-out fill flash results you even have to put up with on a RX100 or Nikon J1.
06-19-2013, 01:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Are these downscaled full size images or crops?

06-19-2013, 01:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
I know this is a test for ISO, but unlike other compacts (even including the MX-1) a major feature of the Q is it has a hotshoe and this is the sort of shot you would use a bounce flash for. So technically the specs are you can shoot perfectly sharp natural images at ISO 100 with the Q in even the most dimly lit and even near pitch black rooms whenever you need to without the garish P&S wash-out fill flash results you even have to put up with on a RX100 or Nikon J1.
Has Pentax released a flash sized for the Q? I mean, it's all well that it makes people happy that there's a hot shoe (a common knock on the MX-1) and I realize that you could put a "full sized" flash on it... but a Pentax or Metz flash would be twice as large/heavy as the camera itself and would seem pretty off-balanced. Maybe this is something Pentax can address in the near future?
06-19-2013, 01:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

oh noes. justification for the temptation...

... seems I'm going to go on a biscuits diet for next month for this... lol
06-19-2013, 02:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
Has Pentax released a flash sized for the Q? I mean, it's all well that it makes people happy that there's a hot shoe (a common knock on the MX-1) and I realize that you could put a "full sized" flash on it... but a Pentax or Metz flash would be twice as large/heavy as the camera itself and would seem pretty off-balanced. Maybe this is something Pentax can address in the near future?
why bother, most people who use a flash are gonna trigger it anyways, a flash trigger on top of the Q is a very tiny portrait package.
06-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the samples.

Practically, with a Prime 01 which is already very good at at f2 and f4 and lots of DOF already available, the user can actually 'get back' 1-2 more stops from the f5.6 that was used in these examples.
Basically, that means in real use, at ISO800, f2 and maybe a hand holdable or with bracing shutter speed of 1/15 (very small light camera btw), it can make do in many indoor shots w/o going much higher in ISO.
Of course if one's tolerance is ISO1600 as shown in the samples above, then thats even better.
06-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for feeding us some Q7 info so quickly Adam.

While these are good examples, there were taken with poor indoor light. I am wondering how the same comparison would look in bright outdoor light as that is how I usually shoot. I'm thinking examples in such light may bring even better results.
06-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Are these downscaled full size images or crops?
They're full size crops

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thanks for feeding us some Q7 info so quickly Adam.

While these are good examples, there were taken with poor indoor light. I am wondering how the same comparison would look in bright outdoor light as that is how I usually shoot. I'm thinking examples in such light may bring even better results.
I'll post some more today, along with other samples.

Adam

06-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'll post some more today, along with other samples.
Great Adam - I wasn't trying to rush you - I did read where you will have more time over the weekend to do these things.