Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 62
Q 03 Fisheye Lens Settings

Hi guys. I have been somewhat disappointed with my fisheye lens. I am having trouble producing images with any clarity like the ones posted in the link below. They appear nice on my Q screen but when transfered to my computer they dont look any good. Is there any advice with focusing or settings that I can use to get better results?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/227557-share-your-shots-03-fisheye.html

Many thanks in advance.

06-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
I've noticed the 03 infinity focus is slightly misaligned so I have to set it slightly before the last mark.
Use focus peaking and the focus assist to make sure the items you want in focus truly are so.
06-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member
EarlVonTapia's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,153
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Use focus peaking and the focus assist to make sure the items you want in focus truly are so.
Both of those things are key for me.

Focus peaking is permanently on all the time. I don't even really look at the image anymore. I just look for the "shimmer". Like I'm looking at the Matrix.

Focus assist greatly enhances the ability to see any shimmers.
06-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,729
As above. It's a fiddly lens to focus, but once you work it out it will reward you. Hang in there.


Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 06-19-2013 at 05:07 PM.
06-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Exeter, Devon
Posts: 136
I did miss focus - and therefore get very soft images - a few times until I got in the habit of using Focus Assist every time with the fisheye. The unzoomed LCD screen without focus peaking does NOT show enough detail to know for sure if you're in focus.

I've not yet got comfortable with focus peaking, but focus assist (basically zooming in on the LCD screen to see better if you're in focus) has been good enough for me. To access it, you just press the centre 'OK' button while in shooting mode. While I doubt the 4x zoom it gives would be good enough for lower apertures, with the f/5.6 of the fisheye you have enough depth of field that you can get away with just using that.
06-19-2013, 03:14 AM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 62
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I am going to give it a go over the next couple days, hopefully the weather clears a lil.

You guys never seem to fail me.
06-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11
I focused my 03 once to roughly hyperfocal distance and gaffer taped it there. Results have been pretty good since then and there are no worries about it getting knocked out of focus.

It seems that 95% of the focus throw on this lens is meant for lens/sensor alignment. It's either in focus or..... it's not.
06-19-2013, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by NeilGratton Quote
I did miss focus - and therefore get very soft images - a few times until I got in the habit of using Focus Assist every time with the fisheye. The unzoomed LCD screen without focus peaking does NOT show enough detail to know for sure if you're in focus.

I've not yet got comfortable with focus peaking, but focus assist (basically zooming in on the LCD screen to see better if you're in focus) has been good enough for me. To access it, you just press the centre 'OK' button while in shooting mode. While I doubt the 4x zoom it gives would be good enough for lower apertures, with the f/5.6 of the fisheye you have enough depth of field that you can get away with just using that.
My experiences with the 03 have been much like yours: missing focus a LOT - it's really hard to focus with it. Like you, I am not comfortable with focus peaking - actually I find it utterly useless. People around here keep saying that it's great, though, so I am still trying.

I've tried "focus assist", and it actually works quite alright, although it's a little cumbersome to use. I still really would have wished that Pentax had made the 03 an AF lens (& I still wish that they will make a couple of further AF primes for the Q.....)

06-19-2013, 04:46 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
Looks like I'm the odd guy here.
My Fisheye is more than infinity at the infinity setting.
In fact its infinity is more like the 2nd mark of the 4 mark setting.
But no big deal as I just remember that spot as the infinity for the lens.
With its f5.6 aperture and short actual focal length, its always in focus from perhaps 2-3feet and more.
So I don't even bother to focus the lens anymore nowadays (just set to 'infinity')

As for sharpness, this lens does surprise me now and then.
It can be pretty sharp.
But I've found that in Photoshop Elements, using sharpening algorithm for 'Lens Blur' seems to recover some details as well.







06-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,729
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
My Fisheye is more than infinity at the infinity setting.
In fact its infinity is more like the 2nd mark of the 4 mark setting.
But no big deal as I just remember that spot as the infinity for the lens.
With its f5.6 aperture and short actual focal length, its always in focus from perhaps 2-3feet and more.
So I don't even bother to focus the lens anymore nowadays (just set to 'infinity')
+1
Perfectly put pinholecam!



Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, fisheye, fisheye lens, lens, mirrorless, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q10, q7, settings
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
03 Fisheye Lens Vica Pentax Q 11 05-10-2013 10:29 AM
03 fisheye as a macro? mepaca Pentax Q 5 01-29-2013 05:37 PM
[Q]New K-r user - lens and settings tips needed rootkited Pentax K-r 2 01-05-2013 07:58 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top