Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #16

Thanks for posting the photos. I am not struck by any amazing quality in the photos that makes me want to rush out and buy the Q7. I think the Q7 will be a fantastic camera but realistically it will only be an incremental improvement on the original Q.

06-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NeilGratton Quote
What makes you say that? I reshot a woodland photo from a 3.2 megapixel 1/2.5" zoom camera (Konica Minolta Z10) on an 8 megapixel APS-C Canon with a 28mm/2.8, and I don't think I could see the quality difference between old and new in web-sized images.
I'll post some examples later. Sensor size still makes a big difference

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brianog Quote
Thanks for posting the photos. I am not struck by any amazing quality in the photos that makes me want to rush out and buy the Q7. I think the Q7 will be a fantastic camera but realistically it will only be an incremental improvement on the original Q.
Agreed! Hopefully this gets the Pentax Q system some respect outside of Japan and outside of the Pentax community.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it looks like there's greater dynamic range. I've shot pictures recently with the Q under similar circumstances and had the highlights blown out, while the backlit leaves were about the same as here. I think it will be easier for me to decide where the new camera is better when you are able to do some real comparison shots. On the other hand, I trust your judgement when you say:

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sensor size still makes a big difference
but each of us will need to see for ourselves whether the big differnences are ones that will affect our own use of the camera.

Thanks for these shots, and would I ever love to go on a walk with you in those woods - looks wonderful to me right now.

06-21-2013, 03:41 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great examples Adam. Thanks for these!

I think it shows the additional DR that the larger sensor (and evolved technology?) allows for. Not unimportant when dealing with small sensors.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your conclusions in terms of handling and response time. I love my Q, but there are times I wish it would respond a bit faster to my using its controls.

I'll regret giving up the (to me) better looks of the original Q, but the Q7 seems to me a much more worth while upgrade than the Q10 was. I'll just have to decide on the colour...

Wim
06-21-2013, 05:11 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm glad they're advancing the Q line. Please put the larger (less tiny) sensor in a beautiful metal body like my original Q.

Shooting in woods like this is very demanding on the gear. I'm surprised at the amount of CA from the 02 zoom. A warmer white balance might help.
06-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm glad they're advancing the Q line. Please put the larger (less tiny) sensor in a beautiful metal body like my original Q.
Definitely agree with you here. I love my original Q, it's just perfect for what it is with the 01 and 06 (read: fits in my briefcase, takes great photos), and the metal body and retro look makes it feel like a real camera. The Q10 is, sure, nice but doesn't have that "feeling" of being real.

The Q7 is a step in the right direction...now, let's have the early adopters hammer out the nits, fix the uselessness of the front-dial and release a (metal-body), perfect Q7ii - and I'll be all over it
06-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
fix the uselessness of the front-dial
Yeah, I hate that thing. The only time I notice it is when I've accidentally moved it and started shooting jpegs. ARRRGHHH! What a waste of space.

06-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Yeah, I hate that thing. The only time I notice it is when I've accidentally moved it and started shooting jpegs. ARRRGHHH! What a waste of space.
Yep. Either get rid of it, or make it useful (Say, quick-access to /all/ settings, not just application of destructive jpeg processing). That's probably my biggest pet-peeve with the Q-series....