Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q7 Sample Photos [18]

Here are a few sample photos I snapped today with the Q7 and 02 lens. All were shot in raw and converted in photoshop. Enjoy!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo     
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Some more Q7 pics:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo     
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The WB seems off on the first set.
Also, some look over sharpened?

Thanks for posting, but so far I see no improvement over the results I get from the original Q.
Looking at your high ISO shots in the other thread leaves me with the same feeling, the current Q does not do as bad as some have said, well - at least mine doesn't.
06-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The illusion of overshaprening may be due to the fact that I use bilinear resampling by default rather than bicubic. I'm going to redo the jpegs.

As for the image quality, it's noticeably better, but even in web sized images you can see that they came from a point and shoot.

Adam

06-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #5

Maybe the D-Range setting is also switched on or set to auto. Never used it myself, but there's not much contrast in the pics and very little shadow. Some harsh light you're working with there in some of the photos too.
The lens seems to manage OK with the larger sensor, corner to corner.
06-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil A Quote
The lens seems to manage OK with the larger sensor, corner to corner.
That's about all we can tell from these snapshots. If the DNGs were posted, we might be able to actually see what the colors and resolution are like beyond the poorly calibrated processing.
06-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
That's about all we can tell from these snapshots. If the DNGs were posted, we might be able to actually see what the colors and resolution are like beyond the poorly calibrated processing.
Don't Harsh the thread, man!

06-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very impressed by the edge performance of the 02 on the bigger sensor.
The dynamic range looks pretty good too.
06-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Is this barrel distortion due to the larger sensor or is it the same with the previous Q/10? This is similar to RX100 raw files at the wide end so I assume there is some similar in-camera correction if you shoot jpg.
06-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote

Is this barrel distortion due to the larger sensor or is it the same with the previous Q/10? This is similar to RX100 raw files at the wide end so I assume there is some similar in-camera correction if you shoot jpg.
Yup. I tried correcting it and the correction amount was pretty big, but I decided to leave it alone as the original looked better.

Adam

06-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
While I certainly appreciate your showing us some sample images Adam, I kind of agree with Panoguy here. We all have our own recipe and likes for tuning our raw images, and I would really like to try my own processing on some of the raws.

I must admit that my first reaction was "what happened to the great Pentax colors?". I guess it could be the 02 lens since I only have the 01 native lens.

Edit to add - just realized that the 02 lens in the kit probably has no hood - that may make the difference in what I am used to seeing......
06-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the samples. I'm kind of confused. Since it has electronic leveler shouldn't it be able to tell the orientation of the camera and tag it so? I wonder why it's omitted. It's easily corrected in post but I'd prefer to have that done for me...
06-20-2013, 01:54 AM   #13

Thanks for these first impressions.

When shooting highlights like burning candles or sunsets the Q/Q10 suffered from strong flare (see Pentax-01 Standard Prime 8.5mm f/1.9 (Pentax Q) - Review / Lens Test - Sample Images & Verdict). It was stated by Pentax that this flare is sensor based. Can you say if the Q7 is better in this respect?
06-20-2013, 04:13 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The dynamic range looks pretty good too.
That was my first thought (It's an area where I do see that my girlfriend's MX-1 beats my Q10).
06-20-2013, 04:18 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As for the image quality [-] even in web sized images you can see that they came from a point and shoot.
What makes you say that? I reshot a woodland photo from a 3.2 megapixel 1/2.5" zoom camera (Konica Minolta Z10) on an 8 megapixel APS-C Canon with a 28mm/2.8, and I don't think I could see the quality difference between old and new in web-sized images.