I don't have to buy any new software,
Thanks
Woo-hoo!
06-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Real easy as I have DxO set up as an external editor
Actually, I do that too. It depends on the shoot I suppose and lens compatability in DxO. If I shoot with the sigma 100-300mm for example, I don't bother with DxO, since the k5 + the sigma isn't a supported combination.

I have only just figured out how to use edit mode in Acdsee, but I'm really impressed with it. I have no downside with Acdsee.

For another non photoshop software, I have started using Microsoft ICE for panoramic merges and I am really happy with it. It is pretty quick, easy to use, and does a good job.
06-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #19

I would say that one of the great advantages of the q and the K01 are the internal processes to manipulate pictures.
I see no sense in taking a picture as neutral as possible and then alter it in photoshop, lightroom or whatever software.
In my Q I have one setup for b/w and have altered it to my fits.
I did the same for hogh contrast color pictures and some other picture possibilites.
So, as if I had a analog camera, where I choose a color or b/w film, high or low sensitivity I do that by choosing one of my settings, I placed on the front knob.
I did the same on the green button of my K01.
So postprocessing is mostly importing it into picasa, doing some sharpening, some color correction by lowering the saturation and maybe straightening the picture.
This forces me to take the picture as I want t have it and as the postprocessing is already displayed on the backscreen it helps a lot.
I would like to encourage you to give this way a try, for me it is the shortest way to a creative shot.
And that is for me what makes the mirrorless cameras from pentax so special.
regards
Oliver

06-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tek_san Quote
I see no sense in taking a picture as neutral as possible and then alter it in photoshop, lightroom or whatever software.
In my Q I have one setup for b/w and have altered it to my fits.

. . .

This forces me to take the picture as I want t have it and as the postprocessing is already displayed on the backscreen it helps a lot.
I would like to encourage you to give this way a try, for me it is the shortest way to a creative shot.
I find that off-camera post-processing offers higher quality as well as many more controls and options than in-camera. Also, it gives you the ability to try different styles (sepia tone vs bw etc) rather than get locked into one. That said, I am amazed at the options the manufacturers have built into the cameras so if I want something quick it's very convenient to use the in-camera features.

It does take longer to process out of camera though.
06-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With my K5 iis I shoot almost exclusively RAW-dng and PP everything in Adobe Camera RAW and Photoshop.

On the other hand, the Q is my "fun" goto camera so I shoot everything in JPG and use the in camera filters and processes. I want no more post work on my Q photos than maybe a quick crop or horizon straightening in Photoshop. I find the quality of the internal JPG's is excellent, specially for my intended use.

If I do get an "exceptional" shot with my Q, there is always the option to press the exposure compensation button to save the last shot to RAW (which I occasionally do)

Pat
06-29-2013, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by picpete Quote
SilkyPix seems to be just a photo editor.
Not..
SILKYPIX is RAW developing software that generates a high-resolution picture from the RAW data of a digital camera.
I actually find SP faster and get better results than with LR.

06-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with sledger.I also find SilkyPix a joy to use.
thanks
barondla
06-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by picpete Quote
Hey that seems to work with my referenced files also,
I don't have to buy any new software,
Thanks
The sequence is command-delete moves the images to Aperture's internal trash where they can still be recovered if necessary.

When you empty the Aperture trash (shift-command-delete), it will offer you a checkbox option of moving the original referenced files from their HD location to the OSX system trash.
06-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #25

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the very good information.