Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #1

Workflow using the Q

Hello All,
I just bought a Pentax Q.
My usual workflow take photos E-M5 then import pictures via the Olympus software and cull the bad out at this time with Oly software.
Then import to Aperture 3 and do my editing.
In Aperture 3 my files are referenced so deleting original image and all versions does not get rid of the master reference file. So culling does not work.
Using this type of workflow how or what software do you use when using the Q.
SilkyPix seems to be just a photo editor.

Thanks,
Peter

06-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Lightroom 4 (lr4) for culling and editing.
I first copy image folders from the card to my hard drive.
Then I use the import function from lr4 to point to the existing files.
With lr4 you can press the X key to indicate images to be deleted.
When you are ready to remove the rejected images you can have lr4 do an actual delete from the drive.
06-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I use Lightroom 4 (lr4) for culling and editing.
I first copy image folders from the card to my hard drive.
Then I use the import function from lr4 to point to the existing files.
With lr4 you can press the X key to indicate images to be deleted.
When you are ready to remove the rejected images you can have lr4 do an actual delete from the drive.
Thanks crewl1
Looks like I may have to look at Lightroom 4,
06-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use LR4 to do what you do. IF I don't like the photos, I just delete them straight from LR4.

06-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
I use LR4 to do what you do. IF I don't like the photos, I just delete them straight from LR4.
Thanks felixkh
Another point for LR4
I really like Ap3 but my work flow has become frustrating
06-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would post this in the software/ post production section - I bet there's more Mac users in there whi will respond

that said I find Lightroom very easy to delete the shots that I don't want to keep
06-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
I would post this in the software/ post production section - I bet there's more Mac users in there whi will respond

that said I find Lightroom very easy to delete the shots that I don't want to keep
you are right vagrant10
Thanks
06-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not an Aperture user but it has to be possible to remove photos permanently.

This may help, I found this by googling 'delete photos permanently from aperture'.

What I read here (apparently Aperture has it's own Trash that must be emptied) actually sounds more elegant to me than Lightroom (which is what I use).

06-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I'm not an Aperture user but it has to be possible to remove photos permanently.

This may help, I found this by googling 'delete photos permanently from aperture'.

What I read here (apparently Aperture has it's own Trash that must be emptied) actually sounds more elegant to me than Lightroom (which is what I use).
Hmm....

I am an Aperture user.

I use "managed" files (not referenced), and selecting a photo (or, multiple photos) and hitting "apple-<delete>" will remove the original from the Aperture library.

I'd guess that apple-<delete> + remove the referenced file would do the trick, would it not?
06-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I use ACDSEE Pro 6 to transfer my files into my PC, then edit the RAW files in Silkpix. Voila!
06-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Wow - another acdsee user - I bring files in with DXO Optics Pro and run the automatic calibrations. Then, I'll bring them to acdsee for management and occasional editing. Sometimes, I'll reprocess an image in DXO if I really want to work on it.

I'm always really impressed with how much acdsee gives you for the price. Also, the online system is really well integrated into the work flow.
06-26-2013, 05:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
Wow - another acdsee user - I bring files in with DXO Optics Pro and run the automatic calibrations. Then, I'll bring them to acdsee for management and occasional editing. Sometimes, I'll reprocess an image in DXO if I really want to work on it.

I'm always really impressed with how much acdsee gives you for the price. Also, the online system is really well integrated into the work flow.
Funny - I do just the opposite. I import from my card using Acdsee Pro 6. Then after my initial sort/delete, I send them to Dxo 8.2. Real easy as I have DxO set up as an external editor - just select the images in Acdsee, right click to show the context menu where my external editors are setup. Then just click on DxO, then Dxo opens automatically with the images I selected ready to process. Then for the DxO output, I send them back to the original folder where they came from, and done.
06-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by picpete Quote
what software do you use when using the Q.
DNG to TIF with Silkypix,
making any lens, distortion, or perspective corrections at that stage,
then work with the TIF in Photoshop.
06-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Hmm....

I am an Aperture user.

I use "managed" files (not referenced), and selecting a photo (or, multiple photos) and hitting "apple-<delete>" will remove the original from the Aperture library.

I'd guess that apple-<delete> + remove the referenced file would do the trick, would it not?

Well I am going to give that a try
06-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by picpete Quote
Well I am going to give that a try
Just re-read.....actually, for some reason, the forum truncated my message and ate "delete".

I meant "Apple"-"delete" as the key combination to hit in aperture. Sorry about that.