Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fisheye lens focuses past infinity

Is this normal? Mine focuses well past infinity, which is annoying because I just want to set it at infinity and go. Instead I have to actually focus, which takes a lot of time and is not 100% foolproof.

Charles.

06-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I donīt know why, but it is normal.. Same thing happens to me with my fisheye.
06-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Is this normal? Mine focuses well past infinity, which is annoying because I just want to set it at infinity and go. Instead I have to actually focus, which takes a lot of time and is not 100% foolproof.

Charles.
are you talking the q fisheye? if so mine does too and i think ithers have said the same
06-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
are you talking the q fisheye? if so mine does too and i think ithers have said the same
Yup, that's a fairly well known characteristics of the 03 fisheye for the Q. It's kinda annoying, but you learn to live with it eventually

06-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Charles.
Many lenses are like this, as the amount it will go past infinity depends on the ambient temperature.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Many lenses are like this, as the amount it will go past infinity depends on the ambient temperature.
But this is true for 200mm and longer lenses, am I wrong?
06-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It's unusual for a fisheye to need to focus past infinity. This is something that's normally seen on super tele lenses where focus needs to be very precise to allow for material expansion. My impression is that it's cheaper to manufacture like this, since no calibration is needed at the factory .. all the "toy" series lenses are like this, btw.

Assuming you don't shoot a lot of macros or close-ups frequently ..
the solution is simple - just tape it to the big mark left of center!
06-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

all autofocus can focus past infinitie as far as i know.
It has something to do with the autofocus and focussing on far away subjects.

06-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, on my 50mm manual K-mount lens, I could remove the grip and adjust the infinity stop. Is it possible to do that on the Q fisheye?

Charles.
06-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

So, on my 50mm manual K-mount lens, I could remove the grip and adjust the infinity stop. Is it possible to do that on the Q fisheye?

Charles.
I haven't tried that.
For the time being I'm using tape.
I'd prefer to find a small rubber band instead.
06-28-2013, 02:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Nope none of the AF lenses i know off have that option.

Introduction to Focusing

Most new autofocus camera lenses now allow focus past infinity so the autofocus mechanism does not suffer a jolt when seeking focus and racking to the infinity setting.
06-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Don't forget that the Q fisheye is in the line of the "cheap toy lenses"... construction tolerances are not very tight, don't expect too much from it...

On the other hand for it's price it's an amazing tough little lens... mine survived a trip thru the washing machine in my trousers pockets... (darn tiny lenses!!!) it's a bit scratched and has mild water spots inside the lens and regardless of all that it's still usable.

Pat
06-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anvh... this is a manual focus lens
06-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Following up on my note above - has anyone found a source for small bands that can be used on the 03 to keep the focus locked in one spot like these?

06-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Don't forget that the Q fisheye is in the line of the "cheap toy lenses"... construction tolerances are not very tight, don't expect too much from it...
Hi Pat,

I don't think this is necessarily the case. Though it's inexpensive and manual focus, It was never designated a "toy" lens, and doesn't perform like one, IMO. Instead of downgrading it to toy status, I think it should be appreciated for what it is -- the most affordable FE lens ever offered by an OEM for a system camera.

Perhaps it would make people happier if it was AF, didn't focus past infinity, and cost over $400 like most other OEM FEs.

QuoteQuote:
On the other hand for it's price it's an amazing tough little lens... mine survived a trip thru the washing machine in my trousers pockets... (darn tiny lenses!!!) it's a bit scratched and has mild water spots inside the lens and regardless of all that it's still usable.
That's amazing! I'd never expect that any lens would actually be usable after this.

IMO, Pentax released this lens as a bonus -- AFAIK, the only FE lens on a compact, to show that the Q system can go photographically where others will not.

Scott