Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #1

330FTZ flash

just wondering if the 330FTZ is even remotely usable on the q?

06-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Hi hamtaro,

I don't have an AF 330 FTZ, so I can't say for sure, but the specs say that it's an AF class Pentax flash with a motorized zoom, and that feature won't work, so it will always fire at the widest coverage, which will limit range.

It is not a P-TTL flash, so could only be used in full manual mode which I see as either at full power or 1/16. If there is a switch where you can change between these two power levels, that will make it more usable.

This type of flash will only fire on the Q if in the flash menu, the flash is turned "off". You will either have to calculate ISO and aperture from GN, or experiment to get proper exposure.

With any of the AF lenses or adapted lenses with the OEM K2Q adapter, this flash will sync with the Q at shutter speeds from 1/250 and slower using the leaf shutter in the lens or adapter.

If you're using an MF lens or adapted lenses with a 3rd party adapter, then shutter speed will be limited to 1/13 with the Q and Q7, and 1/30 with the Q10 because it will default to the electronic shutter. This won't make much difference indoors, in a relatively dark environment. If you'd want to use flash fill outdoors or in a brightly lit room, the very slow sync speed will make this flash virtually useless for this purpose.

Personally, If I wanted a compact flash for the Q, I'd look at the Metz 24 AF-1 or 20 C-2 , or a Sunpak PF20XD.

The Metz 24 is P-TTL only, so fully automatic only with the Q.

The Metz 20 is an Auto Thyristor model with two Auto power settings and only fires at full power in manual. Both of the Metz guns have a tilting reflector that goes to 90 degrees.

The Sunpak is Auto Thyristor with three levels, and manual with 4 power settings. It does not tilt, but it can also be used as a remote wireless slave using the popup flash to fire. All of these are less than $100.

Metz mecablitz 24 AF-1 P-TTL Digital Flash Unit, Pentax MZ24317PS
Metz MZ20220 Mecablitz 20 Series C-2 Manual, Auto Mode MZ20220
Sunpak PF20XD Auto/Manual Digital Slave Flash PF20XD B&H Photo

Scott
06-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks, really good info there.