Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
how to use the cropping feature?

Hi guys I've read that I don't need powerful zoom because of the cropping feature on the Q, I'm a novice can someone explain to me what that is and how to use it?

06-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know what the person who said that to you meant. I assume they were talking about post processing and cropping photos in off-camera software.
The thing is, lenses with big zoom (as in, big difference in #mm from smallest to biggest zoom) often have lower quality than lenses with a smaller zoom, or fixed focal length (also known as prime lenses).
So the logic goes that you can take a raw photo (in dng format, not jpeg) and use a good post processing software (raw editor) to develop the photo and just crop it to make it appear as if it was shot at a bigger zoom. If the prime lens is very good, the cropped photo (crop means the edges are cut off) can look just as good as if you used a zoom lens to zoom in closer.
So, to say it simply, you can take a photo with a wide angle lens and cut off the edges to make it look like it was taken with a standard lens (but it won't be 12MP anymore, it will be smaller). Or you can use an actual standard lens, which will give you even better IQ and use the full 12MP and save you the time of cropping it. Or use a zoom lens, which has a range of focal lengths and you can just zoom in instead of cropping.

To put it simply: Zoom is most convenient, using many prime lenses will give you best image quality, cropping photos can save you in a pinch and make them look like they were zoomed in.
06-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi backdrop,

I think that you're probably mistaking the "crop factor" of the Q with a feature of the camera. Because of the small sensor of the Q, and its ability to use interchangeable lenses, most lenses that you would use on a DSLR or other interchangeable lens camera will end up being some kind of telephoto lens when mounted on the Q with an adapter. This crop factor (to 35mm equivalent is 5.58x), so if you take the actual focal length of the lens and multiply it by this factor, you get the FL that would give you an equivalent Field of View when using a 35mm camera.

This is a major advantage of the Q IMO. With an adapter, a 100mm lens becomes a 558mm EQ, about as much reach as you can get for your Pentax DSLR, but with a much smaller, lighter, and a lot less expensive. . .

Scott