Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2013, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If cost is your main driver look for a M42 to Pentax Q adapter and a M42 Prime 50mm The adapter new is about $20 Used about $10 on Ebay and a lens you can find for $25. Check the lens guide here (Miscellaneous Lenses for Pentax: Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database) for quality and price

Hans

07-02-2013, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #17

I use an old Rikenon Zoom 35-70mm Macro lens which you can find on eBay for around $30 plus macro tubes I bough for about $10. I love the results.

I'm at work now but I can post some samples later on today.
07-02-2013, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

If you want to use a more typical field of view for a macro lens, there are machine vision c mounts in the 17 mm range that allow for focusing on objects closer than a cm away. They allow for easy handheld macro shots. I find adapted 50 mm lenses to bit a bit hard to hold steady hand held, but if you're using a tripod, by all means...

Tamron and Fujinon are good makes to look for machine vision lenses.

I also sometimes use an L39 jupiter 8 with an extension tube for greater magnification.
07-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #19

Original Poster
Sure, thanks, please post samples when you're able!

QuoteOriginally posted by Guakala Quote
I use an old Rikenon Zoom 35-70mm Macro lens which you can find on eBay for around $30 plus macro tubes I bough for about $10. I love the results.

I'm at work now but I can post some samples later on today.

07-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips!

QuoteOriginally posted by verdigris Quote
If you want to use a more typical field of view for a macro lens, there are machine vision c mounts in the 17 mm range that allow for focusing on objects closer than a cm away. They allow for easy handheld macro shots. I find adapted 50 mm lenses to bit a bit hard to hold steady hand held, but if you're using a tripod, by all means...

Tamron and Fujinon are good makes to look for machine vision lenses.

I also sometimes use an L39 jupiter 8 with an extension tube for greater magnification.
07-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #21

Original Poster
I will check those out, thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
If cost is your main driver look for a M42 to Pentax Q adapter and a M42 Prime 50mm The adapter new is about $20 Used about $10 on Ebay and a lens you can find for $25. Check the lens guide here (Miscellaneous Lenses for Pentax: Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database) for quality and price

Hans
07-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Keep in mind that all you need for close focus is to move the lens farther away from the camera. A dedicated macro lens will be optimized for this, but you can use any lens for macro, as long as you move it further away from the camera. Since there are no dedicated solutions yet, you might as well have some fun kludging it. See here:

Ugliest Macro Setup around with the Q?

They make more convenient extension tubes for most lenses, but a toilet paper roll will work in a pinch.

Older lenses are the best for things like this, since you can control the aperture directly from the lens.

07-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #23

Original Poster
Lol that was inventive! Not sure I could pull it off but if I did it'd be in my backyard only.

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Keep in mind that all you need for close focus is to move the lens farther away from the camera. A dedicated macro lens will be optimized for this, but you can use any lens for macro, as long as you move it further away from the camera. Since there are no dedicated solutions yet, you might as well have some fun kludging it. See here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/226445-ugliest-macro-setup-around-q.html

They make more convenient extension tubes for most lenses, but a toilet paper roll will work in a pinch.

Older lenses are the best for things like this, since you can control the aperture from the lens.
07-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #24

Original Poster
Here is a closeup of one of my bromeliads and a dragonfly. I didn't even have to edit the bromeliad, save to crop it, and while it does have good detail, I want even greater detail! I want extreme detailed macro shots of dragonflies and other insects in my backyard. My backyard is a sub-tropical garden that I've created with a ton of hard work over the past few years, so I do a lot of backyard photos. The only reason I can get decent flower shots is because of closer proximity to them, but for dragonflies I can't get too close, so I need a better lens for that.

The dragonfly shot I had to edit out the wazoo and it's still not as sharp as I'd like. This was the only decent one. I know I need a better lens in order to capture it properly.

Thanks for all of the input on macro lenses, I appreciate it very much. I'm a total newbie and still have so much to learn. I think I've decided on a lens and adapter and I hope they meet my expectations.
Attached Images

Last edited by noviceinla; 07-03-2013 at 10:49 AM.
07-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by noviceinla Quote
Sure, thanks, please post samples when you're able!
Right here!