Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #1

Macro lenses for the Pentax Q

Hello, I am still very new to photography in general and I've been over the alternative lens thread here many many many times but it's confusing to me as I'm still so new to this. I can't find a reference for a good macro lens that is not made by Pentax (too expensive!) to use for my Q. I don't have a lot of money at all to spend and wondering if someone can please tell me of a lens that takes good macro shots, i.e. for plants, flowers, insects, etc, tiny details that will work with my Q that's not expensive. Also, I'm not sure what lens to use for good moon shots which I yearn to experiment with. If anyone can give me advice, I appreciate it, thanks!

07-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no dedicated macro lens for the Q yet, but Pentax is planning one. For now, most people use an adapter together with an SLR macro lens. Short focal lengths like 50mm is what you should be looking for, as longer macros will be very hard to control on the Q.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you, Adam, I appreciate your help. Do you know if the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens would be good for the purposes I desire? What about moon shots? Thanks!
07-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Have you considered an adapter and using a manual K or M42 mount lens?

Pentax M 50 f/4, Pentax M 100 f/4, and Takumar 50 f/4 are pretty good macro lenses, but they don't cost a fortune.

07-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have an adaptor, you don't need a true macro lens to get great close-ups with the Q. You get 3.7-5.6 times magnification (depending on whether you are comparing to APS-C or 135 format) due to the crop factor, so any sharp, close-focussing lens will do the job.

Your Canon 50 should be fine.

Here's one with the FA31.

Hebe

Even the DA*300 gets you pretty close.

Q-10 up close and personal
07-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #6

Original Poster
Gorgeous photos, Sandy! Do you happen to know if the canon 50 mm lens will fit the Q?

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If you have an adaptor, you don't need a true macro lens to get great close-ups with the Q. You get 3.7-5.6 times magnification (depending on whether you are comparing to APS-C or 135 format) due to the crop factor, so any sharp, close-focussing lens will do the job.

Your Canon 50 should be fine.

Here's one with the FA31.

Hebe

Even the DA*300 gets you pretty close.

Q-10 up close and personal
07-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks, Julie, I couldn't find the Pentax lenses you mentioned on Amazon, but I did see the Takumar and it's a little bit out of my price range. That's why I'm leaning toward the Canon 50 mm lens because it has great reviews and I can afford it used. I just need to know if it will work with my Q before I buy it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Have you considered an adapter and using a manual K or M42 mount lens?

Pentax M 50 f/4, Pentax M 100 f/4, and Takumar 50 f/4 are pretty good macro lenses, but they don't cost a fortune.

07-01-2013, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Gorgeous photos, Sandy! Do you happen to know if the canon 50 mm lens will fit the Q?
This adaptor should do the trick
07-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks!

This adaptor should do the trick
07-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You'll need a longer lens (and a solid tripod) for good moon shots though. This was taken with the DA*300 on the Q, but it still needed some cropping.

07-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #11

Original Poster
That's beautiful! I don't need to get extreme closeups of the moon, I would just like to be able to see it properly in a nice size but without extreme detail. Do you think the 50 mm lens would do this for me? Please pardon my inexperience, I'm still learning.

You'll need a longer lens (and a solid tripod) for good moon shots though. This was taken with the DA*300 on the Q, but it still needed some cropping.
07-01-2013, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noviceinla Quote
That's beautiful! I don't need to get extreme closeups of the moon, I would just like to be able to see it properly in a nice size but without extreme detail. Do you think the 50 mm lens would do this for me? Please pardon my inexperience, I'm still learning.
Multiply the SLR lens focal length x 5.8 to get the focal length on your Q, so a Canon 50mm will give you the equivalent of roughly a 300mm telephoto lens on your Q.
07-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Multiply the SLR lens focal length x 5.8 to get the focal length on your Q, so a Canon 50mm will give you the equivalent of roughly a 300mm telephoto lens on your Q.
07-01-2013, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by noviceinla Quote
Thank you, Adam, I appreciate your help. Do you know if the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens would be good for the purposes I desire? What about moon shots? Thanks!
With the proper adapter, that lens will work just fine.

The Q isn't the best for moon shots, but if you wanted to try doing some, then I'd recommend a 100-300mm lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-01-2013, 10:19 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't get the EF50/1.8, its aperture mechanism is electronic and you can't control it.
In other words, it will always be wide open.

If you only need close ups, and not macro or extreme macro, then just look for a Pentax M50/2 on ebay or here in the Marketplace.

For macro or extreme macro, a cheaper Takumar 50/4; M50/4 or Vivitar 55/2.8 macro lenses will do quite well.

I'd suggest that you do not think about the long lens first.
Its too taxing on resolution so you need good long lenses on the Q to do well and these will not be cheap at all.

with a F100/2.8 macro

Tele with a F*300/4

I have more samples in my flickr under the Pentax Q set.

Last edited by pinholecam; 07-01-2013 at 10:29 PM.