Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2013, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm not arguing to be argumentative here - but - at some point we need to accept that this camera is a consumer's camera, not an enthusiasts camera nor a semi-pro tool. Pentax USA wants to emphasize the capability of the Q and somewhat downplay the fun aspect (from our Q Users' call with James Malcolm) but though I dodn't say it, they're missing the point (again). Q is about fun AND unexpectedly high image quality. It isn't a substitute DSLR, and it takes a LOT of coaxing to get a quality image out every time.

The Quick Dial and the Scene Modes and the Smart Filters don't bother me becasue I don't expect them NOT to be there.
Well, this being the internet and all I'm going to go ahead and argue anyway. I'm not expecting my Q to suddenly have more controls. But the front dial is already there. It costs money to add to every single unit. Having firmware support for letting me use it to, say, toggle focus peaking costs a tiny amount of money once, and nothing per unit. (To be clear, what I want is full user modes on the front dial.)

Being able to change the settings I care about is a lot more fun than changing settings I don't care about. Knowing how easy it would be to fix this for Pentax (or even me, if the firmware source and build tools were available) is quite annoyong. It wouldn't make the camera any less consumer-friendly either, they already have too many settings to argue that.

07-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do wish the front dial was more useful. But I can live with it the way it is. I think snostorm is right - the Q isn't meant to be a pro camera at this time. Once they build up the Q base there will likely be a higher speced unit.

drougge are you remotely interested in the Samsung mirrorless interchangeable lens camera that is going to be open source? With your programming skills it would seem difficult to resist "designing" a camera.
thanks
barondla

No matter what Pentax thinks the Q is FUN.
07-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
drougge are you remotely interested in the Samsung mirrorless interchangeable lens camera that is going to be open source? With your programming skills it would seem difficult to resist "designing" a camera.
Those cameras don't really appeal to me unfortunately. I'd much rather modify the firmware of a camera that was mostly good already. But some day I will go and try an NX300 and see if maybe it's actually nice.
07-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #19
Forum Member

If you shoot a lot of video on the Q, the front dial is immensely useful. Since you have to commit to a jpeg processing style for vid, it's pretty sweet the have 5 to choose from ready to go. I wish the K01 had something like that.

07-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Anyone find any differences yet? I've found one: When inserting an SD-card the shutter fires (there's a noise from the lens at least). (Tested with 01 prime. I still have one of my Qs on 1.12, so I'm sure that version doesn't do this.)
07-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Anyone find any differences yet? I've found one: When inserting an SD-card the shutter fires (there's a noise from the lens at least). (Tested with 01 prime. I still have one of my Qs on 1.12, so I'm sure that version doesn't do this.)
That's rather odd (have not upgraded my Q to 1.13 yet) - wonder if there is /any/ kind of reason for this, or it's just a bug that slipped through the QA process....
07-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When you power up the Q it must open the lens shutter to view an image on the LCD, that is the noise the lens makes. If the lens is off the camera or otherwise not powered up the shutter is closed, as is the shutter on the OEM K mount adapter

Hans

07-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Yes I noticed this too.
I know on the K-7 and the K-01 the orange write lamp flashes when you re insert the card, I assume this means the card is correctly seated. My guess is they have added an audible 'card seated' confirmation to the Q.
07-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Yes I noticed this too.
I know on the K-7 and the K-01 the orange write lamp flashes when you re insert the card, I assume this means the card is correctly seated. My guess is they have added an audible 'card seated' confirmation to the Q.
Hm, it's true I've noticed that lamp-flashing-thing with the K-01. I think I remember that the Q already does that also, though, but I am not 100% sure. It'd make sense for Pentax to have identical "user interfaces/clues/indicators" across their cameras, though, and am not sure that an "audible card seated confirmation" (especially an undocumented such) makes much sense?
07-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
When you power up the Q it must open the lens shutter to view an image on the LCD, that is the noise the lens makes. If the lens is off the camera or otherwise not powered up the shutter is closed, as is the shutter on the OEM K mount adapter

Hans
Yes, but drougge was referring to a sound on his 1.13 firmware Q, that his 1.12 firmware Q wasn't making. Hmm, any chance, drougge, of perhaps trying with the Q's lens-less?
07-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Indeed it's the same sound, no doubt caused by the same movement inside the lens. It just doesn't seem useful to perform it when a card is inserted.

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Yes, but drougge was referring to a sound on his 1.13 firmware Q, that his 1.12 firmware Q wasn't making. Hmm, any chance, drougge, of perhaps trying with the Q's lens-less?
Naturally it's quiet then.
07-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Indeed it's the same sound, no doubt caused by the same movement inside the lens. It just doesn't seem useful to perform it when a card is inserted.
Wow that is interesting. I just tried it with the lens removed from my OEM P2K adapter and when the camera is powered off the shutter in the adapter is mostly closed, when I insert the SD card it opens to almost completely open and stays in that position until I power up the camera, then the shutter opens completely and when I power down the camera it closes almost completely.

I was able to see the same action on my 02 lens. I put the SD card in and the lens shutter opened. I could remove the lens and the shutter remained open. I have never seen the shutter open after I removed the lens before. It seems it doesn't require power to hold the shutter open,

I wonder if there is a down side to having the shutter open for days at a time. I also wonder if this is a requirement for the 07 lens but that doesn't have a shutter. seems like a bug.
07-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I was able to see the same action on my 02 lens. I put the SD card in and the lens shutter opened. I could remove the lens and the shutter remained open. I have never seen the shutter open after I removed the lens before. It seems it doesn't require power to hold the shutter open,
It's the same with the 01 (of course). I have seen the shutter open with the lens off before, because I took it off with the camera on. (Wanted to look through the lens.)
07-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Wow that is interesting. I just tried it with the lens removed from my OEM P2K adapter and when the camera is powered off the shutter in the adapter is mostly closed, when I insert the SD card it opens to almost completely open and stays in that position until I power up the camera, then the shutter opens completely and when I power down the camera it closes almost completely.

I wonder if there is a down side to having the shutter open for days at a time. I also wonder if this is a requirement for the 07 lens but that doesn't have a shutter. seems like a bug.
Hmm, intuitively I'd suspect that keeping the shutter open like that might wear out some springs or something - so I think I'll hold off upgrading from 1.12 until some later time
07-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just updated to FW 1.13 on all three Q's. Before doing it I unmounted and remounted an 01 lens and removed and replaced an SD card, with the power on and with the power off.

Behavior of all three Q's was identical before and after the update:

Power on: Actions opened the shutter
Power off: Actions did nothing.

CONCLUSION: Before unmounting and mounting a lens, and when removing and inserting an SD card, TURN OFF THE POWER as the Instruction Manual recommends.