Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2013, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
drougge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malmö
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 787
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm not arguing to be argumentative here - but - at some point we need to accept that this camera is a consumer's camera, not an enthusiasts camera nor a semi-pro tool. Pentax USA wants to emphasize the capability of the Q and somewhat downplay the fun aspect (from our Q Users' call with James Malcolm) but though I dodn't say it, they're missing the point (again). Q is about fun AND unexpectedly high image quality. It isn't a substitute DSLR, and it takes a LOT of coaxing to get a quality image out every time.

The Quick Dial and the Scene Modes and the Smart Filters don't bother me becasue I don't expect them NOT to be there.
Well, this being the internet and all I'm going to go ahead and argue anyway. I'm not expecting my Q to suddenly have more controls. But the front dial is already there. It costs money to add to every single unit. Having firmware support for letting me use it to, say, toggle focus peaking costs a tiny amount of money once, and nothing per unit. (To be clear, what I want is full user modes on the front dial.)

Being able to change the settings I care about is a lot more fun than changing settings I don't care about. Knowing how easy it would be to fix this for Pentax (or even me, if the firmware source and build tools were available) is quite annoyong. It wouldn't make the camera any less consumer-friendly either, they already have too many settings to argue that.

07-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #17
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,324
I do wish the front dial was more useful. But I can live with it the way it is. I think snostorm is right - the Q isn't meant to be a pro camera at this time. Once they build up the Q base there will likely be a higher speced unit.

drougge are you remotely interested in the Samsung mirrorless interchangeable lens camera that is going to be open source? With your programming skills it would seem difficult to resist "designing" a camera.
thanks
barondla

No matter what Pentax thinks the Q is FUN.
07-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
drougge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malmö
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 787
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
drougge are you remotely interested in the Samsung mirrorless interchangeable lens camera that is going to be open source? With your programming skills it would seem difficult to resist "designing" a camera.
Those cameras don't really appeal to me unfortunately. I'd much rather modify the firmware of a camera that was mostly good already. But some day I will go and try an NX300 and see if maybe it's actually nice.
07-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #19
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 64
If you shoot a lot of video on the Q, the front dial is immensely useful. Since you have to commit to a jpeg processing style for vid, it's pretty sweet the have 5 to choose from ready to go. I wish the K01 had something like that.

07-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
drougge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malmö
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 787
Anyone find any differences yet? I've found one: When inserting an SD-card the shutter fires (there's a noise from the lens at least). (Tested with 01 prime. I still have one of my Qs on 1.12, so I'm sure that version doesn't do this.)
07-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Anyone find any differences yet? I've found one: When inserting an SD-card the shutter fires (there's a noise from the lens at least). (Tested with 01 prime. I still have one of my Qs on 1.12, so I'm sure that version doesn't do this.)
That's rather odd (have not upgraded my Q to 1.13 yet) - wonder if there is /any/ kind of reason for this, or it's just a bug that slipped through the QA process....
07-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #22
Pentaxian
hnikesch's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,254
When you power up the Q it must open the lens shutter to view an image on the LCD, that is the noise the lens makes. If the lens is off the camera or otherwise not powered up the shutter is closed, as is the shutter on the OEM K mount adapter

Hans
07-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #23
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,294
QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Anyone find any differences yet? I've found one: When inserting an SD-card the shutter fires (there's a noise from the lens at least). (Tested with 01 prime. I still have one of my Qs on 1.12, so I'm sure that version doesn't do this.)
Yes I noticed this too.
I know on the K-7 and the K-01 the orange write lamp flashes when you re insert the card, I assume this means the card is correctly seated. My guess is they have added an audible 'card seated' confirmation to the Q.

07-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #24
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Yes I noticed this too.
I know on the K-7 and the K-01 the orange write lamp flashes when you re insert the card, I assume this means the card is correctly seated. My guess is they have added an audible 'card seated' confirmation to the Q.
Hm, it's true I've noticed that lamp-flashing-thing with the K-01. I think I remember that the Q already does that also, though, but I am not 100% sure. It'd make sense for Pentax to have identical "user interfaces/clues/indicators" across their cameras, though, and am not sure that an "audible card seated confirmation" (especially an undocumented such) makes much sense?
07-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
When you power up the Q it must open the lens shutter to view an image on the LCD, that is the noise the lens makes. If the lens is off the camera or otherwise not powered up the shutter is closed, as is the shutter on the OEM K mount adapter

Hans
Yes, but drougge was referring to a sound on his 1.13 firmware Q, that his 1.12 firmware Q wasn't making. Hmm, any chance, drougge, of perhaps trying with the Q's lens-less?
07-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
drougge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malmö
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 787
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
When you power up the Q it must open the lens shutter to view an image on the LCD, that is the noise the lens makes. If the lens is off the camera or otherwise not powered up the shutter is closed, as is the shutter on the OEM K mount adapter
Indeed it's the same sound, no doubt caused by the same movement inside the lens. It just doesn't seem useful to perform it when a card is inserted.

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Yes, but drougge was referring to a sound on his 1.13 firmware Q, that his 1.12 firmware Q wasn't making. Hmm, any chance, drougge, of perhaps trying with the Q's lens-less?
Naturally it's quiet then.
07-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #27
Pentaxian
hnikesch's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,254
QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Indeed it's the same sound, no doubt caused by the same movement inside the lens. It just doesn't seem useful to perform it when a card is inserted.
Wow that is interesting. I just tried it with the lens removed from my OEM P2K adapter and when the camera is powered off the shutter in the adapter is mostly closed, when I insert the SD card it opens to almost completely open and stays in that position until I power up the camera, then the shutter opens completely and when I power down the camera it closes almost completely.

I was able to see the same action on my 02 lens. I put the SD card in and the lens shutter opened. I could remove the lens and the shutter remained open. I have never seen the shutter open after I removed the lens before. It seems it doesn't require power to hold the shutter open,

I wonder if there is a down side to having the shutter open for days at a time. I also wonder if this is a requirement for the 07 lens but that doesn't have a shutter. seems like a bug.
07-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
drougge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malmö
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 787
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I was able to see the same action on my 02 lens. I put the SD card in and the lens shutter opened. I could remove the lens and the shutter remained open. I have never seen the shutter open after I removed the lens before. It seems it doesn't require power to hold the shutter open,
It's the same with the 01 (of course). I have seen the shutter open with the lens off before, because I took it off with the camera on. (Wanted to look through the lens.)
07-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Wow that is interesting. I just tried it with the lens removed from my OEM P2K adapter and when the camera is powered off the shutter in the adapter is mostly closed, when I insert the SD card it opens to almost completely open and stays in that position until I power up the camera, then the shutter opens completely and when I power down the camera it closes almost completely.

I was able to see the same action on my 02 lens. I put the SD card in and the lens shutter opened. I could remove the lens and the shutter remained open. I have never seen the shutter open after I removed the lens before. It seems it doesn't require power to hold the shutter open,

I wonder if there is a down side to having the shutter open for days at a time. I also wonder if this is a requirement for the 07 lens but that doesn't have a shutter. seems like a bug.
Hmm, intuitively I'd suspect that keeping the shutter open like that might wear out some springs or something - so I think I'll hold off upgrading from 1.12 until some later time
07-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,423
I just updated to FW 1.13 on all three Q's. Before doing it I unmounted and remounted an 01 lens and removed and replaced an SD card, with the power on and with the power off.

Behavior of all three Q's was identical before and after the update:

Power on: Actions opened the shutter
Power off: Actions did nothing.

CONCLUSION: Before unmounting and mounting a lens, and when removing and inserting an SD card, TURN OFF THE POWER as the Instruction Manual recommends.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, firmware, mirrorless, pentax, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q10, q7
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-r firmware update 1.13 alexmkd Pentax K-r 22 07-06-2013 05:55 AM
New Firmware 1.13 jmg257 Pentax K-5 167 06-23-2012 09:31 PM
New FIrmware Update v.1.12 geru2000 Pentax K-r 53 06-07-2012 11:30 AM
Firmware update for Q available StigVidar Pentax News and Rumors 5 11-03-2011 02:38 PM
K-x 1.01 firmware now available opiedog Pentax DSLR Discussion 115 01-23-2010 02:00 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:56 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top