Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Same behavior with lens mounting and unmounting on FW 1.11.

I won't try the SD card remove/insert with the power on. I've spent so long in IT work I'm now genetically incapable of doing such a thing.

07-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I just updated to FW 1.13 on all three Q's. Before doing it I unmounted and remounted an 01 lens and removed and replaced an SD card, with the power on and with the power off.

Behavior of all three Q's was identical before and after the update:

Power on: Actions opened the shutter
Power off: Actions did nothing.

CONCLUSION: Before unmounting and mounting a lens, and when removing and inserting an SD card, TURN OFF THE POWER as the Instruction Manual recommends.
This seems quite strange. If I open the SD card door the power turns off, and turning it on with the door open doesn't work, so as far as I can tell, there's no way to take the card out or in with the power on. And of course I've always turned it off using the ON/OFF button before opening the door before.

I'm unable to find a way to insert an SD card with a lens mounted and a battery inserted that doesn't open the shutter on 1.13.

The only previous mention of unmounting lenses is (I think) when I mention that you could get the lens off the camera with the shutter open by taking it off with the camera on. This is completely unrelated to the change I described, which is about inserting an SD card with the lens mounted and power off (which I imagine is how most people usually do it).
07-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
This seems quite strange. If I open the SD card door the power turns off, and turning it on with the door open doesn't work, so as far as I can tell, there's no way to take the card out or in with the power on. And of course I've always turned it off using the ON/OFF button before opening the door before.

I'm unable to find a way to insert an SD card with a lens mounted and a battery inserted that doesn't open the shutter on 1.13.
Ah, now I get what you're saying. I wrongly assumed the camera must have been powered on when you inserted the card. Very strange indeed.
07-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

The only previous mention of unmounting lenses is (I think) when I mention that you could get the lens off the camera with the shutter open by taking it off with the camera on. This is completely unrelated to the change I described, which is about inserting an SD card with the lens mounted and power off (which I imagine is how most people usually do it).
OK - I'll try again tonight. I think I agree that opening the card door wtih the power on shuts off the power, but IIRC does not open the shutter. When I inserted the card nothing happened on my three Q's whether I started with the power ON or OFF.

Again, behavior was identical before and after updating FW to 1.13. I have one more Q that is still 1.12 I can fool around with, and I could roll the update back if necessary also.

I still believe powering off (which also causes a sound identical to what I heard when I opened the card door) solves any problems.

07-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #35
Pentaxian

I have only one Q and recently upgraded to 1.13, you are correct, when the SD card is inserted (even before closing the card door), there is a slight (very subtle) sound (could be the shutter is opened, not sure though). I don't recall it happening like that in the previous firmware.
07-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

I still believe powering off (which also causes a sound identical to what I heard when I opened the card door) solves any problems.
I wouldn't call it a problem, just something strange. But since you're talking about noises when opening the card door you still seem to be misunderstanding.

Take the camera. It's off. The card door is open. There is no card in it. Now insert a card. This is the only action you take, you slide the card in. About one second later there's a click from the lens on 1.13. If you take the card out and in again (just the card, you don't even touch the door at any time) the lens clicks again.
07-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Take the camera. It's off. The card door is open. There is no card in it. Now insert a card. This is the only action you take, you slide the card in. About one second later there's a click from the lens on 1.13. If you take the card out and in again (just the card, you don't even touch the door at any time) the lens clicks again.
Got it.

Since I have one camera that's still 1.12 I'll do that tonight before and after Updating and post here. I'll try also to observe the shutter.
07-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I wouldn't call it a problem, just something strange. But since you're talking about noises when opening the card door you still seem to be misunderstanding.

I just did exactly how you describe here with my Q v1.12. Absolutely silent - I even held the camera to my ear to be sure.

Kind of glad I was lax in upgrading right away.

07-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Monochrome, do you have 4 Q? If so wow.
thanks
barondla
07-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Monochrome, do you have 4 Q? If so wow.
thanks
barondla
Shhhh. Don't tell anybody.

I bought one for my daughter-in-law but she thinks it is too complicated. My son swapped it back for a lawnmower for their 1st house they just moved into last week.
07-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Shhhh. Don't tell anybody.

I bought one for my daughter-in-law but she thinks it is too complicated. My son swapped it back for a lawnmower for their 1st house they just moved into last week.
And here I was thinking I was bad having 2Q's and a kr & k30

Hans
07-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
And here I was thinking I was bad having 2Q's and a kr & k30

Hans
I doubt I'll have FOUR forever. I have two daughters.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-13-2013 at 10:56 AM.
07-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

Confirmed.

This is precisely my experience with the 01, 02 and 06 lenses on the 1.13 cameras. When I unmounted a lens the shutter was open. There is no sound whatsoever when there is a body cap mounted in place of a lens. I did cycle power after inserting the card on a 1.13 camera and (by sound) it appears the shutter did not open on power up and closed on power off, and remained closed.

Cycling power after a card insertion might be a good workaround for those concerned about an open shutter in the camera bag (Though I regularly store my non-A lenses with the shutter at f/22, I don't always remember to do that - I don't think it has harmed any of them, most of which are 40 or 50 years old).

There is no "sound" (no presumed shutter action) on the remaining 1.12 camera.
07-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I think it some sort of glitch or it was made to do so to open the shutter when you take in a card at camera off. i think there it's the same as my K-5 if the camera is in off position if you remove the card and insert it the card lamp lits up. i think it preload(detection) information being read to the camera. But the way to know if it is normal is to ask Pentax.