Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Q new firmware update 1.13 now available

A new firmware for Q is now published:
Latest PENTAX Q Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Glade to see pentax still supports Q, a two-generation earlier model.

07-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is new firmware for both the Q & Q10 - see previous thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/230258-new-firmware-q-q10-july-4-2013-a.html
07-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
A new firmware for Q is now published:
Latest PENTAX Q Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Glade to see pentax still supports Q, a two-generation earlier model.
Not really surprising, though: the 1.13 firmware is to add support for the 07 lens (bodycap lens), and I guess that Ricoh wants to be able to sell the 07 to as large an audience as possible.

I do not think that there are (m)any new features in the 1.13 firmware over the 1.12.

There're just a couple of things more that would be great to see fixed in the Q, so I hope that Ricoh will produce one more update to the Q, not related to simply supporting a new lens....
07-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did we always have a "user" setting as an option in the quick dial settings?

07-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
I think that we did, yeah.
07-04-2013, 01:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

missed it the first time
07-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

We never did, and we still don't. I just updated hoping to finally make the quick dial useful, but it's still the same. There is "Smart Effect" (jpeg only), "Custom Image" (colour settings), "Digital Filter" (jpeg only) and "Aspect Ratio" (just what it says).

Oh, hang on, I remember now. "Smart Effect" has three "user" slots. They don't save any of the settings I care to change, and force jpeg only. So still no useful user modes. Sadness.

07-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
We never did, and we still don't. I just updated hoping to finally make the quick dial useful, but it's still the same. There is "Smart Effect" (jpeg only), "Custom Image" (colour settings), "Digital Filter" (jpeg only) and "Aspect Ratio" (just what it says).

Oh, hang on, I remember now. "Smart Effect" has three "user" slots. They don't save any of the settings I care to change, and force jpeg only. So still no useful user modes. Sadness.
Yup, there is and (for as far back as I recall) the "user" slots on there. As you say, they're just recording useless destructive jpeg editing settings, so I'm not using them either.
07-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

D-Range setting i guess it's new auto, on & off
07-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

re smart filters and "user" settings. you can make a raw dump after its taken the image. Hit preview then the +/- key, gives you an option for raw. or something like that :P

I use to it change metering and focus setting, along with my chosen colour and sat profile.

ZING :P
07-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

re smart filters and "user" settings. you can make a raw dump after its taken the image. Hit preview then the +/- key, gives you an option for raw. or something like that :P
Yeah, it's possible but that requires another button to press for each press of the shutter release, you are burdened with having a jpeg (which is useless - at least, for me) in addition to the RAW - and how does it work when you do auto-bracketing etc?

Sure, it's possible, but it's not particularly useful other than as a novelty - which is exactly the beef with that front-dial.
07-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

What does "Improved stability for general performance." mean?
07-05-2013, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Sure, it's possible, but it's not particularly useful other than as a novelty - which is exactly the beef with that front-dial.
I'm not arguing to be argumentative here - but - at some point we need to accept that this camera is a consumer's camera, not an enthusiasts camera nor a semi-pro tool. Pentax USA wants to emphasize the capability of the Q and somewhat downplay the fun aspect (from our Q Users' call with James Malcolm) but though I dodn't say it, they're missing the point (again). Q is about fun AND unexpectedly high image quality. It isn't a substitute DSLR, and it takes a LOT of coaxing to get a quality image out every time.

The Quick Dial and the Scene Modes and the Smart Filters don't bother me becasue I don't expect them NOT to be there.

Now if they made a magnesium body Q7-Pro with an optional EVF, full-on K-5 control Menus and Buttons, proper flash sync and proper video outs then I'd have a different opinion of all the toots.
07-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kivis Quote
What does "Improved stability for general performance." mean?
Hi kivis,

This is Pentax speak for " we may have included other improvements and bug fixes, but we're not willing to be held to anything".

Since perception is reality, especially in online discussions, it's probably prudent to make minimal claims to actual FW update benefits and let the users believe what they're going to anyway about the rest. Noticeable incremental AF performance improvements were, IMO, included in most of the previous Q FW updates, but this was only mentioned in one.

Scott
07-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The firmware update made me a better lover! Promise :P

+1 for a tincy nerd Q with an extra scroll wheel for some better controls.

Until then, this silly little Q is still a load of fun. Heck just last night I was resting it a top a wine glass to clear the table for some group shots lol. Seeeeeee. Fun! :P