Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any sentiment here for a WR Q?

I hadn't seen this specific Q mutation in various chats, but perhaps it has come up.
I'd love a Q-WR + 01WR combo, or perhaps an intermediate fast 6-24mm WR zoom. Not all the zooms need be redone, but a lens or two would serve my interests.

07-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds like that might require the camera to physically become a bit bigger.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think they need to get the price of the Q + lenses down. I think it's all a bit too expensive, and I wouldn't want to pay the premium for a WR body, personally.
07-07-2013, 03:48 AM   #4

not to mention that the lenses will need some serious redesign... But we can shove the Q and lens in a sandwich bag if we really need to.

07-07-2013, 04:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like that might require the camera to physically become a bit bigger.
O-rings and gaskets? I would have thought the increase in size from the original Q to the Q10 might have freed up any necessary additional body space. The lenses are another matter, though – the additional friction that seals would add to AF movements might require higher capacity drives.

If they could do this in the next iteration, maybe as a variant on the standard (existing) body and selected lenses, they might be into something.
07-07-2013, 04:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter

That would have been nice if they had done that from the beginning of the Q, but as pointed out in earlier posts, size and price matter.
07-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I need WR on my DSLR. From the Q, I need low price and smallest size, so Q with WR is a no for me.
07-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter

WR for the Q is a nice idea... but one that I am unwilling to pay for.

07-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I keep a waterproof pouch folded in my back pocket. Costs $3. works for me.
07-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
O-rings and gaskets? I would have thought the increase in size from the original Q to the Q10 might have freed up any necessary additional body space. The lenses are another matter, though – the additional friction that seals would add to AF movements might require higher capacity drives.
I don't know about the 02, but the 01 and 06 lenses have no external parts moved by the AF, and as such should need no additional motor strength. Possibly they'd need a little space for sealing of focus and zoom rings, but I doubt that'd be much. Still more expensive of course, but I might be interested anyway (depends on how much more expensive).
07-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Quality control and manufacturing tolerance costs would probably rise significantly with WR. It not impossible though but if that was the plan for the Q they should have done it from the start.
07-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kivis Quote
I keep a waterproof pouch folded in my back pocket. Costs $3. works for me.
Actually this sounds a better idea than WR-ing the Q altogether. DSLRs don't quite fit into those so it's understandable making sealed versions for them.

I do love the OQ's mag-alloy body though. Sadly it had to go with the Q10 and Q7 to keep costs down