Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Q is a great camera. With the 01 prime you have super lowlight shooting at f1.9. Very few lenses are as sharp wide open. The 02 lens is versatile. Buy two lens kit and you are set. If you have room for the Q/zoom kit, you have room to add the 01 prime. It is so small.

The Q will work like your K cam. It has easy settings and adjustments. No limited PnS controls. If you decide to upgrade a few years from now, a new Q body will update to the newest sensor and performance. Keeping the great lenses. The PnSwill not.

No camera is more fun than the Q.
thanks
barondla

07-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
One thing that worries me is the dust and sand I may encounter when changing lenses.
Hi Steve,

Dust on the sensor for interchangeable lens cameras, though a legitimate concern, can actually turn out to be an advantage for the ILC systems. A number of retail camera salesmen that I have dealt with have told me that the most common repair issue for fixed lens compacts (by far) is dust in the camera that effects the images. For these cameras there are two alternatives -- pay to have them cleaned or buy a new camera. With ILCs, especially with those which have dust-shedding coatings like the most recent Pentax models, it's a usually a DIY proposition. For the record, I change lenses often with both of my Q bodies -- #1, I've had for over a year and this has become my Adapted Lens body. #2 is a relatively recent purchase, and is my every day carry body along with the 4 Q system lenses I've acquired. I've only had visible dust on the sensor maybe 5 times between the two bodies, and in all cases except one, the built in dust removal feature in the body took care of the problem. In the single case where it didn't, a quick blow with the small Rocket Blower that I carry around in the bag did the trick.

I've actually been very pleasantly surprised how clean the sensor stays. . . It looks so exposed and vulnerable when you take the lens off. . .

Scott
07-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is a shame the MX-1 doesnt have a view finder or a hot shoe, as that looks a very capable camera.
The IQ looks better then the X20.
The X20 is also tempting but pushing my budget.

I guess I will have to get out and have a look at what is about.

I think I need to get out of my head that Im not going to get a pocket DSLR in my price range, if you catch my drift.

Maybe a bit more reading and have a play with the various compacts.

Thanks for the comments!

Cheers, Steve
07-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Managed to get out and have a quick look at both the Q and the X20.

I was surprised of the size of the Q, no matter how many times you are told it is tiny, I don't think you are ready for the size and how well made it feels.
It felt nice in hand and menu's seemed easy, still would miss a view finder.

X20 I was a little disappointed with, I was expecting it to be more substantial, I think the Q felt better made, and the View finder is pretty useless, I could barely read the green overlay, after trying a X100s I would be disappointed with the X20, but did take a nice image and was super quite!

I set both camera's in auto and fired off a few shots, but I think they have been played with so all seemed a bit off.

Pentax Q 1/25 /1.9 ISO 200 8.5 mm.

Fuji X20 1/38 /2.5 ISO 400 13.2 mm

Im not sure if there was a film function on the Q and the image seems a bit orange, but compares well to the X20. Yes the X20 has a little less noise and is a little sharper, but what can you expect. lack of a AA filter is a big help!

TBH I think I am slightly leaning towards a Q...

Cheers, Steve

07-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
Managed to get out and have a quick look at both the Q and the X20.

I was surprised of the size of the Q, no matter how many times you are told it is tiny, I don't think you are ready for the size and how well made it feels.
It felt nice in hand and menu's seemed easy, still would miss a view finder.

X20 I was a little disappointed with, I was expecting it to be more substantial, I think the Q felt better made, and the View finder is pretty useless, I could barely read the green overlay, after trying a X100s I would be disappointed with the X20, but did take a nice image and was super quite!

I set both camera's in auto and fired off a few shots, but I think they have been played with so all seemed a bit off.

Pentax Q 1/25 /1.9 ISO 200 8.5 mm.

Fuji X20 1/38 /2.5 ISO 400 13.2 mm

Im not sure if there was a film function on the Q and the image seems a bit orange, but compares well to the X20. Yes the X20 has a little less noise and is a little sharper, but what can you expect. lack of a AA filter is a big help!

TBH I think I am slightly leaning towards a Q...

Cheers, Steve
Remember that the Q has a fast setting dial on the front so you can vary the JPG output dramatically in a single step. Good to see a place had both for you to try out.
07-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yea SRS Microsystems over here in Watford is very good.

Cheers Steve
07-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Going mental with this.... been having a looks at the Dpreview studio samples, and have added the Olympus XZ-2 into the mix....it seems to produce sharper images compared to the Fuji and Pentax, were they having a bad day?

Sending myself mad reading different reviews and opinions, wish I could just go out a buy something!

Only problem with the XZ-2 it's nearly 200 for a EVF....

Cheers, Steve
09-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well a 2nd hand X10 came up while I was on a visit to London with the Boss and that passed the price bracket for her, (Luckily I didn't spend the extra on a X20 as we needed two tyres last week..)

Had it a month now am and very pleased with it! It had been good fun, great for putting in the pocket when going for a coffee or taking the kids the park etc.

Will still be upgrading my K-r in the near future... Wont be until I get back to the UK next year, so they might have something new by then...... but am looking at a K5IIs and 18-135 lens at the mo......

Chers Steve