Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Q? what to do.....

Hi Guys/Gals,

Sorry you lot are probably bored to death of people asking about the Q and it competitors...

Now the Q is sub £200 (£178.30 with delivery) with the 5-15mm lens, I have been having a think about one for a replacement for the wife's Sony 4yr old box of tricks, and also something for travel, not that I have an impending trip to somewhere hot and sandy in my near future.... We must protect the Queens interest! So I want something to take up a bit less room in my bag.

I already have a K-r so have a fondness for Pentax and the quality of their camera, the thing that is worrying me is the sensor, and after trying my uncles Canon G1x and seeing the images he took with it I am rather impressed to say the least with the large sensor compacts.

I suspect I will mostly be using it for street and architecture shots, with some family stuff mixed in, so the size should be ideal, but how will it perform in low light for taking some night/indoor shots down the markets, I’m a little worried about the sharpness of the Q and it’s IQ.

I’m looking to stay sub £300, so the Q is very tempting, the only other I have thought of is the FujiFilm X10 which I have seen for around £250 which is also very appealing but the manual focus wont be much good for SWMBO, if the Sigma SD1X had a bit more flexibility I might have considered one of them because of it’s sensor.

Sorry it is another one of these threads, I am just getting myself confused with all the online reviews and posts on the Q and its pro’s and con’s, some rave some slate!
Can anyone give me some sound advice? I’m still a bit green with digicams.

Cheers, Steve

07-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like what I see of the Q, and would likely own one.....but a viewfinder is a must have for my needs. From what you say here, I would go with the Fuji X10, I shot with one for over a year before I got my new X20, and I can tell you the X10 was a delight to use and performed far beyond my expectations. No lenses to change, easy to use.....if you just set it in EXR mode you can shoot forever and most always be pleased with the results....build quality of the body is second to none, metal and rock solid, and the Fuji colors are wonderful.

At their current price, the X10 is a steal, and I can't imagine you not falling in love with it for your intended purpose, as so many others have done.
Here is a years worth of misc X10 shots, the good, bad, and ugly all mixed in. Did I mention, this is a fun camera to use, more fun than you can imagine without actually using it!
Fuji -x10 - a set on Flickr

Best Regards!
07-07-2013, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

VF problem solved

07-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you are really undecided you can buy it used, and if you don't like it, you can sell it at a minimal loss?
I also have a K-r, and was really thinking of the Q, but then I got a K-01 at a great discount (at the time). Its nowhere near as compact as the Q, but its noticeably smaller than the K-r (especially due to its boxy shape) and actually produces better photos. So now I usually carry the K-01 with me. But if I had the funds, I would be seriously considering a Q, because you can really take it anywhere, its so small

07-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments guys.

The Fuji X10 does seems the logical choice, I like the looks and it seems to perform well.
But I am a bit of a convert to Pentax after leaving Canon 35mm EOS1 and T90, the Budget DSLR's from Canon/Nikon didn’t match the quality feel of the K-r, and thought I am tempted by FF, I think I shall with staying Pentax and upgrade to the K5 IIs in a few months! Fell in love with the 10-17mm
So do feel a bit attached to the slightly underdog'ish Pentax, plus it is cheaper, so will have a better chance of winning over the boss
Though saying that I was a big fan of Fujichrome!

I guess I will have to get out to SRS Microsystems when I next get a chance, I don’t think Cornwall Cameras has one of each to try.

PS, I did look at the K-01 but really dont like the look of the thing, looks very lego'ish to me.

Thanks guys, any more evidence would be great, oh and please tell me to bore off if it is too tedious.

Cheers, Steve
07-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #6

I have the Q and 01 Prime + 03 fisheye lenses. Normally I use full frame Nikon DSLR's for work and have a D5100 for casual use. The thing for me is that if I was going to take anything larger than a Q (X10, G1X etc) then I might as well take my D5100 or D700/D600 and one or two prime lenses and a small shoulder bag.
I use the Q for 3 things:
1: Always with me, so for taking pics most others would take with a phone, but much better quality
2: Just going out and having some fun with taking photos and playing about with the camera. It puts a smile on my face.
3: At a social event or with friends or places where I don't want to stand out with a big camera

It's a small sensor camera and that is what it is and I bought it fully aware of its limitations. If I know I'm going somewhere really nice or know I will want to take some treasured photos then I take my DSLR.
07-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil A Quote
I have the Q and 01 Prime + 03 fisheye lenses. Normally I use full frame Nikon DSLR's for work and have a D5100 for casual use. The thing for me is that if I was going to take anything larger than a Q (X10, G1X etc) then I might as well take my D5100 or D700/D600 and one or two prime lenses and a small shoulder bag.
I use the Q for 3 things:
1: Always with me, so for taking pics most others would take with a phone, but much better quality
2: Just going out and having some fun with taking photos and playing about with the camera. It puts a smile on my face.
3: At a social event or with friends or places where I don't want to stand out with a big camera

It's a small sensor camera and that is what it is and I bought it fully aware of its limitations. If I know I'm going somewhere really nice or know I will want to take some treasured photos then I take my DSLR.
My thoughts exactly. The Q also gets into places where "Professional" cameras are prohibited, but it still gives you interchangeable lenses and more control than most P&S cameras.

07-07-2013, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
twin lens set is only 249, even more temptation for you to get one!

Q System Price Comparison From CameraPriceBuster
07-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great site! Bookmark me thinks!

The Q is tempting, and did look at the twins lens kit, but would't kind of defeat the idea of having something I can just stick in between my military kit, though saying that, the lenses would fit in my boots!
I would rather take my K-r but it is space that is the limitation, if I can get a compact that takes a decent quality photo all the better, I don't really have the choice of going somewhere nice I will take this and that, I will be somewhere for 4-6 months.
The X10 is winning me over slightly, might win the boss over as well as she likes here panoramic function on her Sony. Is it worth looking at any of the larger/APS-C sensor compacts or am I pushing the price much higher?

I just watched the Digitalrev video of the Q, is the RAW lag really that long? and is it similar for jpeg?

Cheers Steve
07-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #10

The Q is a great camera especially if you like to play around with different adapted lenses. It is quite versatile. but, I can see where the x10 may fit your needs better. I was playing around with the x20 the other day and was very tempted. If you look down at the off topic part of the forum, non-pentax cameras you'll find a thread devoted to Fuji x10/x100 etc: Post your fuji x100/x10 Picturs You could see what they think.

Cheers Rich

PS Digitalrev didn't do justice to the Q.

Last edited by sundr; 07-07-2013 at 02:15 PM.
07-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
Great site! Bookmark me thinks!

The Q is tempting, and did look at the twins lens kit, but would't kind of defeat the idea of having something I can just stick in between my military kit, though saying that, the lenses would fit in my boots!
I would rather take my K-r but it is space that is the limitation, if I can get a compact that takes a decent quality photo all the better, I don't really have the choice of going somewhere nice I will take this and that, I will be somewhere for 4-6 months.
The X10 is winning me over slightly, might win the boss over as well as she likes here panoramic function on her Sony. Is it worth looking at any of the larger/APS-C sensor compacts or am I pushing the price much higher?

I just watched the Digitalrev video of the Q, is the RAW lag really that long? and is it similar for jpeg?

Cheers Steve
Steve,
The Q is small and the 01 prime is a very solid lens that is very welcome in low light. The 02 is a versatile zoom, but its not the best in low light. The price together is very good - particularly since the 01 is VERY difficult to source on its own. Good luck with your decision.
07-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #12

This review convinced me to buy the now discounted Q and I couldn't be happier, what a fun camera it is.

My Pentax Q impressions | Wouter Brandsma ??
07-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Indeed, some of DigitalRev reviews are pretty pants to be honest, unless it is something he likes....
There has been some nice pictures produced by the Q, I suspect I would use the 5-15mm more as I prefer a wider angle.

Will have to look into it more.

Oh it will be replacing a Sony Cybershot W350.

Cheers, Steve
07-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
Indeed, some of DigitalRev reviews are pretty pants to be honest, unless it is something he likes....
There has been some nice pictures produced by the Q, I suspect I would use the 5-15mm more as I prefer a wider angle.

Will have to look into it more.

Oh it will be replacing a Sony Cybershot W350.

Cheers, Steve
The other nice thing about Pentax is the proven commitment to significant firmware updates for discontinued cameras. The Q has benefitted immensely from this policy.
07-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One thing that worries me is the dust and sand I may encounter when changing lenses.
The bigger sensor does give a bit nicer Bokeh, which is always welcome... to many options!

Cheers, Steve