Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #1

What Optical Viewfinder?

I thought that I might try to use an external optical viewfinder when using the prime lens and the wideangle lens. Any lower cost suggestions?

07-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll find all sorts of options, and other accessories, listed in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/189966-what-q-accessories-worth.html
07-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newsjeff Quote
Any lower cost suggestions?
Yes, don't buy one - you'll never use it
I did, tried it and felt stupid holding a tiny camera up to me eye when I had a decently large and clear LCD that 90% the time was perfect.
Besides, the advantage of an LCD, is that for lower than eye-level shots I don't need my head to go down there with the camera as well.

PS: I did buy a Hoodman Loupe for the K-01, which is brilliant.
Even works fine for the Q when you really need it.
07-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newsjeff Quote
I thought that I might try to use an external optical viewfinder when using the prime lens and the wideangle lens. Any lower cost suggestions?
I have used a Tele-wide recently to take pictures in a theater.
I needed to be able to turn off the LCD and stil frame the shot.

07-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I have used a Tele-wide recently to take pictures in a theater. I needed to be able to turn off the LCD and stil frame the shot.
+1

In a world of Smartphones and compact cameras, announcements that patrons should use proper etiquette in concerts and theaters RE: the ambient light those devices emit Larry has hit on a very important benefit of a simple OVF.

Of course that doesn't answer the question whether the appeal to keep Smartphones and compact cameras in pockets is really a polite attempt to control shooting bootleg video.

I bought a Tele-Wide for $25 myself. It came with a Yashica rangefinder film camera attached, which was the only way I could find one at a reasonable price. Q-user demand seems to have cleared eBay stock.
07-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I use a Leica Bright Line 50 OVF with my Q and 01. It's pretty small (about the diameter of a US Nickel) and looks good on the Q. I actually have two of these. The first, in EX condition, I obtained from a collector friend for a very good price (<$100), since he was culling his collection, and I found the second at a camera show -- it's a bit ugly with a cracked lens, but it's very usable and only cost @ $25. This OVF has zero magnification, so I shoot with both eyes open using the framing lines to compose with the LCD off. The framing lines are a bit tight, but I can easily compensate after using it a bit. It also has a parallax correction line to allow me to frame a shot closer than about 6 feet more accurately.

My most common use for this combination is at parties and family get togethers to get candids. The Q is small, quiet, and inconspicuous. I used to use my DSLRs and either an FA 50 f1.4, Tamron 28-75 f2.8 or a DA* 50-135 for this, and always got reactions, even with the 50. The Q gets little notice, except from other DSLR users who are naturally curious about gear.

Scott
07-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I bought a Petri Tele-Wide finder for $25. It is always on the camera when my 01 prime is mounted. The camera looks bare to me without it. The outer set of framing lines were designed for a 45mm lens. The 47mm 01 is virtually a perfect match, and the Petri will still be useable when I upgrade to the 1/1.7" sensor later (much later). I haven't bothered to figure out how wide the frame is if I ignore the framing lines, or if I use the inner set of lines. I don't use the OVF nearly as much as the screen, but it's nice to have when I want it, or need it (i.e. in bright sunlight).

I've also used the Petri on my K-01 with an FA 28mm.

07-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't use the OVF nearly as much as the screen, but it's nice to have when I want it, or need it (i.e. in bright sunlight).
A solution more suited to the tiny Q than one of those LCD attachments in many applications - such as bright sunlight.

07-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #9

I use a Helios Viewfinder I picked up on ebay for around $20. It has markings for 28mm 35mm & 50mm
07-24-2013, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A solution more suited to the tiny Q than one of those LCD attachments in many applications - such as bright sunlight.
I also find my Tele-Wide very helpful in aiming when I'm trying astro shots with the Q; while you can try sighting along the lens barrel on some of those ginormous 400-500mm lenses, the Tele-Wide makes it much easier.