Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another Q Question

I have been following the Q/10/7 forum for some time now and it seems to me that there are two problems with the camera that members may be kind enough to clarify for me before purchasing, I'm looking at the original Q.

I have a K200D with a fairly large assortment of manual lenses all of which I'm finding a bit too much to carry around (I'm in my 70's), I tried reducing the weight by using an 18-125mm lens but still found it was a bit too big and heavy and not at all discreet. I also have a Ricoh CX1 28-200mm lens all up weight 180g even though this has a very good 920,000 dot screen it clearly demonstrates to me the difficulties of seeing what you are doing in bright sunlight, we do occasionally get some.

The Q would be used with it's own lenses primarily for landscape and buildings but come winter a lot of wild coastal birds return from their summer holidays and I really need something to get near them, the sea shore around here is largely mud flats when the tide is out and in or out there is very little cover where you can creep up, they have excellent sentries even though they are protected species here. I was thinking of using the Q with my M 150mm or M 200mm attached for their reach.

I have noted the lengths some members go to to see the screen, I can see where an optical viewfinder will cover the view for the standard zoom or prime view but this still leaves you trying to see the on screen data, focusing etc. If you have to carry all this supplementary gear to be able to use long lenses it seems to me to negate the whole advantage of a small lightweight camera.

So is there really that much trouble with the viewfinder ?

Kind Regards

CD

07-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
CD,

The default screen brightness on the Q makes it difficult to see when used outdoors on sunny days. However, you can go into the menu system and boost the screen brightness which helps alot. It will certainly drain the battery more quickly so its best to make sure you have extra batteries with you at all times.

Dave
07-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can also use a LCD "viewfinder loupe" for those times when you need better visual focusing. Check out the Q Accessories thread for examples.
07-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Either solution is fine, loupe or increase brightness. Under some conditions the brim of my hat has been sufficient to see the LCD clearly without a loupe in noon sun on a sunny day.

07-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My bright sun issue has been when I'm wearing a light-colored shirt and it reflects onto the LCD. Nothing in the world short of completely shielding the camera with a large back cloth will fix that.

Thankfully there aren't many occasions when I take pictures between 12:00 noon and 2:00 pm.
07-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The hoodman loupe hung around the neck and used as required seems the ideal solution to me.
But in all honesty, most of the time I never need it.
07-14-2013, 04:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for your kind replies, I have to buy on-line so all I can go on is what I can see and read and there is something that I can't quite put my finger on that makes me have doubts about this camera, I will just think a bit more.

Thank you

07-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

"If in doubt.. don't.."