Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Incoming Q!

Well crap, I did it. I pulled the trigger on the original Q. I wanted the 01, but it was just a bit too much even at the heavily discounted prices you can get the Q for now, so incoming is the black Q with 02. It should be here Friday.

So, clearly there is much love for this thing amongst you Qsers, but I keep seeing mentions of "learning curves" and learning the girl. So, what kind of pain and misery did I buy myself?

Also, as someone else here said, it's all your fault, all of you, who post in here. I accept no claim of responsibility in this.

Dave

07-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Q family!
The firmware upgrades took a lot of the learning curve away from the Q, it really is a snappy little performer.
Do the firmware upgrades right away, there are separate ones for the camera and the lenses.
It is easy since you do it via the menu, and it tells you which version is already loaded.
07-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Do the firmware upgrades right away, there are separate ones for the camera and the lenses.
Thanks! Actually had the lens and camera firmware sites already bookmarked and intend to do them first thing.

Just how far off on image quality is the 02 from the 01? In the "post your q shots" thread, it looks like there is a major difference. Acquiring the 01 is going to fast be a mission, isn't it...

Dave
07-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Compared to other small cameras you'll find a dSLR-type menu, so in this instance the curve isn't bad at all! Framing with the big screen in back is the biggest adjustment for me - though I also picked up a last-minute K-01 so that prepared me for the New Way of Doing Things.

07-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
Just how far off on image quality is the 02 from the 01? In the "post your q shots" thread, it looks like there is a major difference. Acquiring the 01 is going to fast be a mission, isn't it...
There're noticeable differences between 01 and 02 but shooting in Raw and PP helps a lot I think. Biggest learning curve jumping between K-5 and Q for me is the dynamic range. I still find myself crushing the highlight or black too often. Since Q pretty much have all the physical control of a regular DLSR, unlike the other brands, subconsciously I guess I still have trouble remembering that its performance characteristics are very different.
07-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Compared to other small cameras you'll find
Compared to my old 3.2mp sony P&S that I can no longer find the charging cable for.... I'm probably going to be in bliss as far as having a small camera with me...
07-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well crap, I did it. I pulled the trigger on the original Q. I wanted the 01, but it was just a bit too much even at the heavily discounted prices you can get the Q for now, so incoming is the black Q with 02. It should be here Friday.

So, clearly there is much love for this thing amongst you Qsers, but I keep seeing mentions of "learning curves" and learning the girl. So, what kind of pain and misery did I buy myself?

Also, as someone else here said, it's all your fault, all of you, who post in here. I accept no claim of responsibility in this.

Dave
I've got the Q with 01. It is different, I think because it is just so small and it is different not having a viewfinder. I've bought several accessories, a cheap screen loupe (made for the Nikon 1), I read about it in the forums here and it works fine on the Q, because that screen is hard to see in bright sunshine. A hood, a cheap Rocketfish circular polarizer, a third part k mount adapter, and extra batteries and mobile charger. Now I really don't use the loupe that much because it is as big as the Q itself but it's nice occasionally. The batteries are essential, it does use them rapidly. I think a hood is essential and should have been included. And the CP is on the lens most of the time. I haven't used the K mount adapter much, but I really want to find a good C mount lens and get that adapter. And got a nice little Lowepro vido bag for $5, tipped of in the forums, which works with just about all of it.

I started using it and one of the first times I used it much was a bright day, I did not have the hood or CP yet and I got a lot of flare and washed out shots. That was a tough test on it, but I still got some decent pics. And I started taking it on walks, when I really don't expect to see much, but gotta have a camera just in case. And it started to grow on me as I became more comfortable with it. I can put it in the pocket of cargo shorts and take it on bike rides, and I've clamped it to the handlebars to shoot a video test. I now throw it in the car nearly every day in case I see something going to or coming home from work. I still occasionally pick it up and bring it to my eye (which I can with the loupe). It's fun, and kind of stealthy. I am planning to get the fisheye at some point, no hurry though, that body cap lens looks interesting too, and the 01, what the heck I really want them all!

The learning to me is the size and shooting without a viewfinder. The menus are Pentax, Oh and I do need to watch the settings when putting it in my pocket I have already moved the dial accidently. I haven't even got into some of the effects and things yet. don't worry, I don't think you have too much pain and misery!

07-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Banned

Dave
:

Welcome to the family!
I love my Q and I think it's the smartest camera system ever conceived. Q is super easy and intuitive to use, and you can operate it in the pocket, in the dark, it hides inside your palm. Yes, grab 01 lens if you can. It's well worth it.
I'm waiting for the wide prime lens charted inside the new Q roadmap. Hopefully it come later this year and will be somewhere 21-24 mm for the Q7, or, 24-28 mm for the Q. Just perfect!
Post some pictures and don't forget to buy an extra battery (buy original Pentax battery, it will not disappoint like cheap ones).
07-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Q and our little forum. You will love the Q. It is so much fun.

Learnng curve depends on which way you are going to use the Q. For P&S with Q lenses it is a breeze. Has AF, program modes, jpeg shooting, etc. You won't find it any harder than your Sony. For adapted lens tele/macro monster the curve becomes much more like an dslr. Manual focus, AV or manual exposure, and Raw take more practice. Using the Q this way is harder because we are playing in more extreme ranges. It is also harder to use an 800mm tele on your dslr.
enjoy the Q
barondla

The 02 is also a fine lens. Enjoy.
07-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
Forum Member

I bought my Q with the 02 lens also. I bought the 01 lens separate from a third party Japanese seller on Amazon. You can also get the 01 from Adorama camera, but it can be a little cheaper getting it from Japan. It is not hard to find like so many people claim. Performance is better than the 02 but of course you give up the ability to zoom so it's a tradeoff as always. 01 is sharper and has better contrast than the 02.
07-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the fun and enjoy your Q, just be careful it can be additive, my Q grew a family 2nd Q, an 06 plus a Pentax K adapter and some old lenses

Hans
07-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #12

Original Poster
Ok, so, something you all already know... holy crap is this thing small, fun, and amazing!! Sooo dense for it's size, too... First thing I did after a quick play with the 3 minutes of battery life, and a full charge, was the firmware updates. What a huge difference that made in AF speed... wow... Also, the 02 is no slouch, I can't wait until I can acquire an 01.... I don't have any post-worthy shots yet, but hopefully once I do I'll not be lazy and put them up here!

Thanks all for your comments!
07-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have any post-worthy shots yet, but hopefully once I do I'll not be lazy and put them up here!
Pet shots are welcome.
Remember a Qat is the typical first model for a new Q owner
07-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #14

Original Poster
Alright, here are some photos from the weekend. Saturday was an event called the Paddle & Portage here in Madison, I'm intending to do this 20 consecutive years. two 1.5 mile paddles and a 1 mile portage in between. Lots of characters at these. I wasn't trying to be too skillful, just shot jpeg in auto to see how it handled there. All shots are at the party at the finish.

It's amazing how non-intimidated people are with this little thing, in fact, I'm less intimidated and have taken shots I would've probably not taken with my K200D (street style is intimidating to me...).

Last edited by pezmaker; 07-24-2013 at 08:58 AM.
07-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #15

Original Poster
I guess my previous post was broken - I wanted to put my attachments in line. I think I got it now, I'll just leave them as attachments. *shrugs*
Attached Images