Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2013, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
DC Watch Interview with Q7 Designers

Here is an interesting interview with the designers of the Q7. It has some interesting information about the development of the system and the decision to start with a smaller sensor and later increase the size. Unfortunately, it doesn't reveal much in terms of specifics about the forthcoming lenses.

Here's the original link.
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/interview/20130719_607368.html

And the Google translation.
Google Translate

07-19-2013, 03:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting read, although I probably missed a lot of nuances because of the difficult Google translation...

Tx, Wim
07-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes an interesting read, I would enjoy the wider angle of view of the Q7 for my lenses. I have a Canon S100 with a 1/1.7 CMOS back lit sensor and the IQ is a bit better than my Q's but it has less of a fun factor. I can see a Q7 in my future somewhere, sometime, just need the justification.

Hans
07-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Nice visual on the size difference in the sensors. Works better for me than the line graphics folks always put up showing difference sensor sizes.

Attached Images

Last edited by Docrwm; 07-19-2013 at 05:52 AM.
07-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Market study responses to Q and Q10:

A camera for you!
  • Interchangeable Lenses
  • Custom Colors
  • Many effects
Image quality was a less important reason to choose.

Q7 with the larger sensor and the new Q Engine (something I didn't know about) answers the lower image quality ranking, so the marketing hook is a capable, tiny camera that can be personalized and is fun to use. They expect Q and Q10 owners to eventually upgrade to Q7.
07-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good article - I followed some of the links they are interesting also.
Here shows the Q7 emulating the sound of a 645D and K-5 Shutter
Digital camera long-term real-time reports to be worried about: PENTAX Q7 [1st] - Watch digital camera
07-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Market study responses to Q and Q10:

A camera for you!
  • Many effects
I wish there was a menu to disable that front dial. Effects are fun for some, but not for me, when I think I'm shooting raw and find out later that the front dial has been accidentally rotated.

07-24-2013, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I wish there was a menu to disable that front dial. Effects are fun for some, but not for me, when I think I'm shooting raw and find out later that the front dial has been accidentally rotated.
Set it to aspect ratio. You can even set all of the positions to the same ratio if you want -- that way the front dial won't change anything -- effectively disabled.

Scott.

Actually, you can also set it to digital filter and turn all of the positions "off".

Last edited by snostorm; 07-24-2013 at 09:08 AM.
07-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Set it to aspect ratio. You can even set all of the positions to the same ratio if you want -- that way the front dial won't change anything -- effectively disabled.

Scott.
But it will still only shoot jpegs whenever the dial is rotated from the 0 position unless you choose RAW+, which is glacially slow.

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-24-2013 at 09:14 AM.
07-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Scott.
I just report and provide information and insight. I try to allow readers and members to temper their criticisms and alter thier expectations by understanding why the designers did what they did. If they put a dial like this on the K5II replacement I will be appalled. I don't consider the Q a dSLR replacement, nor even intended to emulate a dSLR. I consider Q to be intentionally a conundrum (buit don't tell Jim Malcolm I wrote that).

I, for one, continually find myself moving the Mode Dial. I must have large fingers or something - it gets somewhat frustrating.
07-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I, for one, continually find myself moving the Mode Dial. I must have large fingers or something - it gets somewhat frustrating.
Same here. If I'm in P mode, I end up in Movie. I have a lot of short videos with audio of me swearing loudly.
07-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

But it will still only shoot jpegs whenever the dial is rotated from the 0 position unless you choose RAW+, which is glacially slow.
I was wrong, rotating the dial always shoots jpeg, no matter what the menu setting.
07-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I've just gotten into the habit of glancing at the Mode Dial first thing as I would the top LCD on my DSLRs. The perfect fix for me would be a lock button like the K-5, but I'd make it a push on - push off type so the user can choose between locked or not.

Scott
07-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I was wrong, rotating the dial always shoots jpeg, no matter what the menu setting.
I just tried both aspect ratio (either set to different ratios or the same) and digital filter (with all positions "off") for the front dial and the file format stays in RAW for both. I'm using FW v1.13 in this body. Perhaps the body FW makes a difference.

Scott
07-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I just tried both aspect ratio (either set to different ratios or the same) and digital filter (with all positions "off") for the front dial and the file format stays in RAW for both. I'm using FW v1.13 in this body. Perhaps the body FW makes a difference.

Scott
That would do it. I'll check it out. Thanks Scott.