Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

Difference betw Q and Q10 after firmware updates

Currently in the Netherlands the original Q is sold for 314 with the prime and the 5-15 zoom. The Q10 with the zoom is 450. Now I am wondering, since the zoom Alone is 279 in the Netherlands, I guess that If I got the prime and zoom for 314 it would still be great deal and I get the Q more or less for free. That is tempting!

But what I am wondering now is How big the difference is between the Q and Q10 after all firmware updates? Is there difference between AF or overall snappyness of operation?

07-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
After the firmware update, the AF on the original Q is VERY quick. If I were you, I'd save some coin & just go for the original Q. The differences between the Q & Q10 are extremely minimal, and the original Q has the nice magnesium alloy body.
07-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
After the firmware update, the AF on the original Q is VERY quick. If I were you, I'd save some coin & just go for the original Q. The differences between the Q & Q10 are extremely minimal, and the original Q has the nice magnesium alloy body.
I agree. The big difference is between the Q/Q10 and the new Q7 because of updated processor and a larger (and newer) sensor. The Q, with newest firmware, is not much different in handling or performance from the Q10 but as has been stated the Q has better styling and a much more solid body construction.
07-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #4

+ 1 for the Q...

07-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Purchasing the Q with 01 & 02 would be my choice as well. The €136 savings over the Q10 kit could be applied to the purchase of an 06 at some point. :-)

I also agree regarding performance of Q vs Q10......marginal differences. The build quality of the Q and overall feel is so much better IMHO. And yes, AF of Q is pretty quick.
07-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #6

If I rememeber correctly, the biggest difference is capture speed, which is actually more than it sounds. It is a combination of processing speed, buffer size, and write speed. With the Q, 1.12 firmware, I have no follow up shot capability. The buffer fills with one raw+ capture and takes at least half a second to write on a class 10 card. It's the orange LED of death. During that time, the camera locks and you can't change any settings or switch to the info screen. From what I've read, the Q10 is better on all counts wrt follow up shots. I think I read that you can basically shoot continuously in jpg mode with the Q10. I doubt my Q's buffer would take more than a handful before slowing down.

ymmv, and I went with the Q (I have 2) for the design, but if you are planning on shooting in burst mode or where camera speed performance is vital, do yourself a favor and get the Q10.
07-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by theeggplanthunter Quote
If I rememeber correctly, the biggest difference is capture speed, which is actually more than it sounds. It is a combination of processing speed, buffer size, and write speed. With the Q, 1.12 firmware, I have no follow up shot capability. The buffer fills with one raw+ capture and takes at least half a second to write on a class 10 card. It's the orange LED of death. During that time, the camera locks and you can't change any settings or switch to the info screen. From what I've read, the Q10 is better on all counts wrt follow up shots. I think I read that you can basically shoot continuously in jpg mode with the Q10. I doubt my Q's buffer would take more than a handful before slowing down.

ymmv, and I went with the Q (I have 2) for the design, but if you are planning on shooting in burst mode or where camera speed performance is vital, do yourself a favor and get the Q10.
Interesting, my Q takes a good number of shots in JPG mode before slowing down - not as you assert " Q's buffer would take more than a handful". The official stats on the issue say that the Q's Continuous Shooting = Approx. 5 fps, JPEG (12M Continuous Hi): up to 5 frames & Approx. 1.5 fps, JPEG (12M Continuous Lo): up to 100 frames. The Q10 is Approx. 5 fps, JPEG (12M Continuous Hi): up to 5 frames Approx. 1.5 fps, JPEG (12M Continuous Lo): up to 100 frames. Wow, identical stats per the information in our Camera database.
07-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #8

Maybe the firmware helped a bit. I'll need to try it out. It'd be nice to find someone with a Q10 and see how the raw performance stacks up. If the difference is really that little in real world conditions, I take back everything.

Back with 1.10 firmware, I remember one trick to getting more shots in the buffer was to put it on bracket, which'll let you burst 3 raws, but then you have to wait like usual.

07-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for this usefull feedback, I was already leaning towards the Q, as I am travelling on a bicycle with my girlfriend and the K5 with lenses is just way to heavy for that purpose. So I wanted something as sturdy as the K5, but than smaller and lighter. Seems like the Q is the best candidate. I will go to the store this afternoon and see if I can pick one up!