Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2013, 06:58 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Some walkshots of Pentax Q7 with 02 zoom lens at Shanghai

The new Q camera looks tiny as its predecessors. Cuz I don't have Q or Q10, the comparison between Q7 and its predecessors can not be made. However, I think the photo quality of Q7 is not bad if U don't see the pictures magnified 100 times. The photos attached here were shooted in the RAW format and edited with the LR.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo             
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
07-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The shots look great. How do you feel about the performance in AF speed, startup, write time?
07-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Very nice, great sample variety too. Looks like a fun walk with a great camera!
07-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #4

Original Poster
AF speed is much faster than K01 but a little slower than NEX-6.
I haven't noticed the exact time of writing the picture.However, I think it still take a little longer time.
Suprisingly, the startup is fast. You can shoot as soon as you press the ON button.

07-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Very nice, great sample variety too. Looks like a fun walk with a great camera!
Thank you very much for your reply. It's hot here in Shanghai. It's a hot walk.
07-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looking good!
07-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jim7592 Quote
AF speed is much faster than K01 but a little slower than NEX-6.
I haven't noticed the exact time of writing the picture.However, I think it still take a little longer time.
Suprisingly, the startup is fast. You can shoot as soon as you press the ON button.
Cool, thanks!
07-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I wonder if the larger sensor can help with AF in low light? A clearer signal may help the calibrations.

07-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I wonder if the larger sensor can help with AF in low light? A clearer signal may help the calibrations.
Hi VisD,

I think they stated something like this in the recently linked interview. With sensels @ 1.5x larger, the CD AF has a bit more light to work with in lower light situations. If the AF performance is linear to light received, it won't be more than a half stop improvement, and I doubt it's directly proportional, so probably less in actuality.

I'm not displeased with the Q's AF, even in lower light. The FW updates have made a huge improvement for the AF lenses, and, of course, with adapted lenses, the AF is not a factor.

Scott
07-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The shots look great. How do you feel about the performance in AF speed, startup, write time?
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I've got the Q7 since Sat and have been using it intensively over the past few days as I'm on a tour.
AF is fantastic. Very fast even in low light. (with prime 01)
So much so that I'm pretty amazed.
Not the usual wishy-washy uncertainty seen in most older Pentax cameras until the K5II and the updated Q/Q10.
The AF box needs to be set to the larger one, since it defines the area it looks for contrast.
Its F A S T.

Can't post picts now.
Wait for my 'real world review'
07-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Looking forward to it.
07-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've got the Q7 since Sat and have been using it intensively over the past few days as I'm on a tour.
AF is fantastic. Very fast even in low light. (with prime 01)
So much so that I'm pretty amazed.
Not the usual wishy-washy uncertainty seen in most older Pentax cameras until the K5II and the updated Q/Q10.
The AF box needs to be set to the larger one, since it defines the area it looks for contrast.
Its F A S T.

Can't post picts now.
Wow...how did you get it already? I thought it wasn't coming until September. What color combo did you decide on?

I'm looking forward to your review. I got weak and bought the Canon EOS-M camera when it was on sale for $299 earlier this month. I wanted to check it out as a high-quality "pocketable" camera (by pocketable I mean large jacket pockets, cargo short pockets, etc.).

I usually carry my Q around with the 01 lens on it with the 03 fisheye (and sometimes 06 zoom) in the other pocket of my cargo shorts. Now I'm trying to decide should I continue with my plans to upgrade my Q to the Q7 or should I just focus on the Canon as my "carry around" camera. Right now my 01 is on it about 98% of the time.
07-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
Wow...how did you get it already? I thought it wasn't coming until September. What color combo did you decide on?

I'm looking forward to your review. I got weak and bought the Canon EOS-M camera when it was on sale for $299 earlier this month. I wanted to check it out as a high-quality "pocketable" camera (by pocketable I mean large jacket pockets, cargo short pockets, etc.).

I usually carry my Q around with the 01 lens on it with the 03 fisheye (and sometimes 06 zoom) in the other pocket of my cargo shorts. Now I'm trying to decide should I continue with my plans to upgrade my Q to the Q7 or should I just focus on the Canon as my "carry around" camera. Right now my 01 is on it about 98% of the time.
I'm in the place that sells them now of course

ATM, my impression is that is fast and better IQ. Better FOV with the 01 prime too (for what I do).
I have the 01,02,06 and fisheye.
Vs the EOS-M, I think its smaller/lighter, more fun, less serious (and can end up using it less seriously and fun/creatively) and certainly faster.
The EOS-M will have better pixel peeping IQ.
Personally, the IQ on the Q7 is really good enough for most intents.
I'll say more in the 'real world review'
07-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #14

Original Poster
I'm in the place that sells them now of course

ATM, my impression is that is fast and better IQ. Better FOV with the 01 prime too (for what I do).
I have the 01,02,06 and fisheye.
Vs the EOS-M, I think its smaller/lighter, more fun, less serious (and can end up using it less seriously and fun/creatively) and certainly faster.
The EOS-M will have better pixel peeping IQ.
Personally, the IQ on the Q7 is really good enough for most intents.
I'll say more in the 'real world review'
Looking forward to it.