Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Broken LCD glass on my aerial Q ..

I had a suspicion a day like this could come, one day .. while doing my aerial pole photography thing last week I stepped off a boulder which then unexpectedly shifted, causing me to step off the wrong way and nearly breaking my ankle (it hurt real bad - but walking now). In the middle of this I let go the pole and my beloved Q/03 hit the rocky ground - breaking the rear LCD glass.

The cam still works fine (good thing for the metal shell!), LCD works fine, 03 lens did not touch ground (T.G.) but I'd like to replace the glass. Does anybody have experience with this already??

I contacted Pentax, they referred me to the "Parts Dept.", a lady named "Lynn" at 720 988 2653. Unfortunately she never answers the phone, nor does she seem to return left messages!! Anyone have a better way to obtain Pentax parts in the US of A ?

Thanks!
-Flex

07-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
I had a suspicion a day like this could come, one day .. while doing my aerial pole photography thing last week I stepped off a boulder which then unexpectedly shifted, causing me to step off the wrong way and nearly breaking my ankle (it hurt real bad - but walking now). In the middle of this I let go the pole and my beloved Q/03 hit the rocky ground - breaking the rear LCD glass.

The cam still works fine (good thing for the metal shell!), LCD works fine, 03 lens did not touch ground (T.G.) but I'd like to replace the glass. Does anybody have experience with this already??

I contacted Pentax, they referred me to the "Parts Dept.", a lady named "Lynn" at 720 988 2653. Unfortunately she never answers the phone, nor does she seem to return left messages!! Anyone have a better way to obtain Pentax parts in the US of A ?

Thanks!
-Flex
Above all else, it's good that you didn't hurt yourself As for the camera, I'd say it might be cheaper just to get a used Q on the marketplace, as they're selling in the low $100's now.

Also, I'd recommend getting a gopro for stuff like this, as those things are built like tanks!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about the mishap. I've reached Lynn when I call around mid morning my time.
You may want to try around 1pm Florida time.
07-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

digital029art, glad you are OK. Sounds like the Q will be up and running soon. If the glass isn't too expensive you might order a spare. Think Lynn only spends some time in parts dept. Keep trying. She will get you the part.

Be careful. Can't imagine using a pole from a Kayak. I probably will try it though. Everyone watch those electrical lines. Most poles (including carbon fiber) conduct electricity.
thanks
barondla

07-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I broke my Q10 LCD screen after dropping it in a padded camera case. It was only 3 days old and I had not taken a single pic when the fate intervened. Anyway, the Australian Pentax distributor repaired it for $120.

Give the cost of repairs here this must have been a fast, simple task
07-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions, good to know somebody was actually able to get in touch with Lynn. I've had no luck today, called several times, left two messages .. nothing!

Sure would like to replace that glass - everything works fine otherwise!

07-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's weird.
I would call into the Pentax support desk or do a chat with them and tell them your experience, see if they can roust her or someone in her place if she is out ill.

07-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #8

Photos: Albums

Thanks!
-Flex
Flex, hope you get the camera sorted out soon. Glad you are back on your feet.

By the way, I'm kind of stoked that someone else uses the Q and the fisheye lens for pole aerial photography. I find them to be an unbeatable combination for this purpose. A real killer application for the Q as far as I am concerned -- I don't think anything else will get you as high and wide, and still be safe to hold by hand.
07-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

digital029art, glad you are up and around again. It might be possible to call Pentax and get an email address for the parts dept. Then Lynn would see it when she is there.

Hope you get the Q up and running soon. Hate to see it in its present condition.
thanks
barondla
07-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
Forum Member

Is it actually glass or is it plastic?
07-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure it's glass (I have a plastic film covering it).

I have to say I am REALLY DISAPPOINTED with Pentax USA .. no answer, no replies, the "instant chat" .. nobody home .. impossible to find any real contact information ..

On the plus side, my foot feels at about 95% now, that's the best news of all!
07-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well after some additional emails (that thank fully got someone's attention at Pentax - public relations - THANK YOU!) I was able to get in touch with Lynn in the parts dept. Apparently they are moving and thus response times were slow .. also appears that parts is now fulfilled by another company.

Anyway these are the parts needed to replace the back LCD glass:

77540.A241 LCD Window is $3.54 ea. and are back ordered 2-3 weeks
77540.A242 LCD Window Tape is .72 ea. and are back ordered 2-3 weeks

Also if anyone is interested, email me I'll forward you the Q exploded diagram PDF!

Thanks for all you suggestions & help!
-Flex
www.kayakfari.com
07-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool. Not very expensive at all. As hard as they are to get I would order spares. Your accident has made me consider rigging a foam "nerf" suit for my Q to give it a little proection.
thanks
barondla
07-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also if anyone is interested, email me I'll forward you the Q exploded diagram PDF!
This diagram is now available in the Q Resources sticky at top of this forum.
Thanks Flex!
07-25-2013, 05:20 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
you got it! can't wait to do the glass transplant .. i got 2x sets - just in case! lol