Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

Lovin the Q tremendously!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all, just picked up à Q with prime and 02 zoom lens to accompany me on my bicycle travels, as my K-5 with the right collection of lenses is just too heavy to carry around whil travelling on à bike.

First impression: damn, that Q is small! Forget photo's you will have to see it in the flesh to appreciate the size. Than comes the hard part: waiting for the battery to be fully charged in order to update both the firmware of the Q and the lenses. Update went swift without any problem and after that I could take it out to the garden for à first spin. And what aan impression did that made, the prime is wide open already impressively sharp and the zoom did not dissapoint either!

Yes, the Q is not à low light monster like the K-5, so it is best kept at base iso for most circumstances. But I am astonished what kind of quality they managed to extract from such à small sensor, it is really incredible how much detail is captured. Futhermore the build quality of both the Q and the lenses are impressive, with the lenses built with tight tolerances. Better built than most DA and DAL lenses.

The bold monochrome setting is brilliant, it is amazing how easy street photography becomes, even though it is possibly one of my least developed talents within photography. And it is so small that it easy to walk around with and take pictures without being noticed. Although I think about changing the strap, I feel it draws quite some attention. Also I am wondering what kind of camera bag you guys use to store the Q and the lenses. Because the lens does not retract, my collection of p&s bags are too small...

The only thing I did not figure out yet, is how to persuade Lightroom 4.4 to recognize both lenses...

But in short: loving the Q and I am convinced that you need to experience this camera before you will appreciate it!

07-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations. I agree, its tiny, easy to take with you, and fun to use. Don't forget to update the Firmware for the Camera and 01 & 02 lenses. To update the lenses you have to have each one mounted when you do the update (three updates - Q firmware, 01 firmware, and 02 firmware). It does make a difference.
07-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm looking forward to getting one myself, and carrying while cycling is one of the big attractions.
07-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Congratulations. I agree, its tiny, easy to take with you, and fun to use. Don't forget to update the Firmware for the Camera and 01 & 02 lenses. To update the lenses you have to have each one mounted when you do the update (three updates - Q firmware, 01 firmware, and 02 firmware). It does make a difference.
Thanks for the suggestion, all firmwares are updated, also of the two lenses. Just struggling now with the strap (I think the included strap is a bit big for the Q, it draws too much attention) and with finding a neat camerabag to carry the Q with lenses. Most camerabags with room for multiple lenses are way too big for the Q ;-).

Last night I have collected the Q, the two lenses with hoods, an additional battery and the charger in one bag and that was unbelievably light and compact! Now I am eyeballing to a nice Q/K adapter to mount my DA* 300 on the Q and experiment a little with birding. But considering the cost, I will probably need to save some money first :-(

07-24-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome and enjoy your Q

Hans
07-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep... The Q is pretty awesome. I use it even more than my K-x's. I think you're in for much fun.

As far as the bag, I use an older Ambico bag for an 8mm camcorder similar to this one. Small enough to be easy to tote, but plenty spacious for the Q, several lenses & all the goodies. Alternatively, when I only need to carry 2 or 3 lenses & the Q, I use a fanny pack along the lines of this.

Have fun!
Bob :-)

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 07-24-2013 at 06:32 AM.
07-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #7

Really enjoying my Q. I tried the "official" "multibag" but it was only really works if you keep the camera in it with the 01 lens mounted. Plus it's a shiny silvery grey which looks a bit cheap. So that went back to Amazon... I'm now using the Lowepro Compact Courier 80 that I got originally for my Sony NEX. It's quite small but big enough for the Q plus a couple of spare lenses, batteries etc.

07-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lampo Quote
I am wondering what kind of camera bag you guys use to store the Q and the lenses. Because the lens does not retract, my collection of p&s bags are too small.
If I have the 01 prime on the (original) Q, it will fit in a P&S pouch.

If the 02 zoom is fitted, I use a Case Logic camcorder bag,
USD 14 at big-box stores in the US.

Here's your local equivalent:

CASE LOGIC EHC-103 Cameratas Zwart Camcorders bestel online bij Media Markt
07-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best suggestion someone made for a Q strap for me is a Nintendo Wii strap.

For your DA 300 if you don't want to spend much you can get a Fotodiox adapter with aperture control.
It will work fine if you keep the setup on a tripod.
07-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Best suggestion someone made for a Q strap for me is a Nintendo Wii strap.

For your DA 300 if you don't want to spend much you can get a Fotodiox adapter with aperture control.
I use them and they are easy to order on eBay for next to nothing. Nice slider, good attachment, sturdy and you can choose your color too
07-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Where did you find the adapter? If I search in the Fotodiox webshop I can not find an adapter for Q to K. If I use the search function of eBay, I can not find the adapter either...
07-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lampo Quote
Where did you find the adapter? If I search in the Fotodiox webshop I can not find an adapter for Q to K. If I use the search function of eBay, I can not find the adapter either...
Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Pentax K/PK Lens to Pentax Q-Series Camera, fits Pentax Q Mirrorless Cameras: Camera & Photo
07-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure you get one with aperture control for your DA300 - the one Doc linked I think does not have aperture control.
THis one has it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-PK-A-AF-DA-lens-to-Pentax-Q-CIRRUS-adapter-ap...item3cc08eedb5
The Fotodiox version is cheaper though.
07-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Make sure you get one with aperture control for your DA300 - the one Doc linked I think does not have aperture control.
THis one has it. Pentax PK A AF Da Lens to Pentax Q Cirrus Adapter Aperture Ring Tripod Mount | eBay
The Fotodiox version is cheaper though.
Ok, Here is the one with the aperture control:
Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter with Aperture Dial, Pentax K/PK Lens to Pentax Q-Series Camera, fits Pentax Q Mirrorless Cameras: Electronics
07-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good find Doc.
That looks like a new design - it seems to have ridges inside too that probably helps with the reflection problems we had with the old ones.
I'm going to order one and see how it works.

Last edited by crewl1; 07-24-2013 at 11:24 AM.