Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2013, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #1

Just joined the Qrowd

Hey Folks,

After many years away from shooting with a digital camera, I'm back in the mix. I've been using Pentax film cameras for quite a while and even participated on PDML (even back when Pentax sponsored it). At one point, I had a Pentax *istDS but it died after 4 years. Since then, I've been shooting my ME Super and PZ-20 exclusively. At the prompting of a PDML buddy, I took a hard look at the Q. The prices at B&H were too hard to resist. The white one arrived yesterday.

So, I just thought I'd drop in and say Hi. I like the activity on this and I'll be posting pics from time to time.

Mark

07-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #2

Welqome!
07-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome. We are hardly a crowd, however, as we frequently do not see another Pentax user for months or years - no joke...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/109990-we-really-rare.html
07-24-2013, 03:11 AM   #4
Forum Member

Welcome! Which lenses do you have? I have just received my Q with 01 Prime and 02 Zoom and loving it already.

Enjoy!

07-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome and join the fun

Hans
07-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lampo Quote
Welcome! Which lenses do you have? I have just received my Q with 01 Prime and 02 Zoom and loving it already.

Enjoy!
I bought the kit with the 02 zoom. I had considered purchasing the kit with the 01 prime but thought this made little financial sense. B&H is selling the white Q with 02 zoom for $249. New, the 02 zoom sells for ~$300 on its own whereas the 01 prime sells for ~$200. My plan is to order the 06 zoom first, then add the 01 prime. Also, I will get the Fotodiox Q-K adapter.
07-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #7

Always interesting to see the difference in prices between US and UK. My white Q with 01 and 02 lenses was 249 including tax or approx $385, would that be a good deal in the US?
07-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Hi mdintx and other new Qusers,

Welcome!!!
Don't forget to upgrade firmware for both the body and 01 and 02 Q system lenses. The improvement in AF speed is very significant, plus they added Focus Peaking if you want that feature for MF. Also watch for future FW updates. Every time they add a Lens to the lineup, they'll have to upgrade the body FW to accommodate it, so the updates will keep coming, hopefully with some added tweaks in other areas.

Also look for compatible batteries on the 'net. They're common, cheap and small -- the Q goes through batteries pretty quickly, so you'll want to carry a few at all times.

Have fun with your new Q -- it's a system that promotes experimentation and brings a lot of unexpected joy back to photography.

Scott

07-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by theoldsmithy Quote
Always interesting to see the difference in prices between US and UK. My white Q with 01 and 02 lenses was 249 including tax or approx $385, would that be a good deal in the US?
That would be a great deal. The only way I could match that is to find a used 01 at $100.
07-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Also look for compatible batteries on the 'net. They're common, cheap and small -- the Q goes through batteries pretty quickly, so you'll want to carry a few at all times.
For a full day of casual shooting (let's say 250 shots and 5 minutes of short videos) with a Wi-Fi card I typically use three batteries. Withuot Wi-Fi I can get by on one battery conservatively or 500 shots and the video without paying attention to power conservation.
07-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi mdintx and other new Qusers,

Welcome!!!
Don't forget to upgrade firmware for both the body and 01 and 02 Q system lenses. The improvement in AF speed is very significant, plus they added Focus Peaking if you want that feature for MF. Also watch for future FW updates. Every time they add a Lens to the lineup, they'll have to upgrade the body FW to accommodate it, so the updates will keep coming, hopefully with some added tweaks in other areas.

Have fun with your new Q -- it's a system that promotes experimentation and brings a lot of unexpected joy back to photography.

Scott
Scott,

I updated the body to 1.13 but am not familiar with updating the lens. Where can I find info about that?

In terms of batteries, my plan was to get the Wasabi charger with 2 batteries from amazon. My buddy who has the Q uses that set up and is pleased.

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone!

Mark
07-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mdintx Quote
Scott,

I updated the body to 1.13 but am not familiar with updating the lens. Where can I find info about that?

In terms of batteries, my plan was to get the Wasabi charger with 2 batteries from amazon. My buddy who has the Q uses that set up and is pleased.

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone!

Mark
Have a look here, Mark

Latest PENTAX Q Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Scroll right down to the bottom

I'm just reading up after acquiring a Q as a birthday present along with an 02 zoom lens. . . . But I'm not quite sure how to go about the actual 'updating' yet - more reading to do.
07-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #13
Forum Member

Just use the same procedure as you would use for the firmware of the Q itself: take an empty formatted SD card, copy the new firmware on the card and insert the card in the Q with fully charged battery and the 01 or 02 lens mounted Go to the menu and scroll left to the fourth tab. Scroll down to info firmware, and select it. It will show the current firmware version of the Q and the attached lens. You can than select the firmware of the lens and choose to update it. That is all, it only takes few seconds!
07-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mdintx Quote
my plan was to get the Wasabi charger with 2 batteries from amazon.
I got that exact set for my new Q. They actually seem to be lasting longer than the OEM battery. The charger is nice as it's a direct plug to the outlet, rather than via cord. The wasabi's are no joke!

Dave
07-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Hi Mark,

For extra batteries, when I purchased my first Q, I bought a Pearstone 3rd party from B&H, later, I bought the Wasabi 2 battery/charger package that you mention. All the batteries perform essentially the same, so I'd feel comfortable recommending either. I also bought a Wasabi battery/charger combination for my K-5, and both perform well, so I feel good about Wasabis. There seem to be quite a few people who have had good experiences with them, so they are a good bet. The chargers for both seem to charge the respective batteries more quickly, so I use the OEMs for charging at home when there is no hurry since the gentler charging cycle is probably more likely to give me more total charges over the batteries' lifetimes, I would think.

Scott