Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q Whilst Cycling / Running

Hi,

I posted a (very!) similar thread in the DSLR section - taking photos whilst cycling or running. The Q was mentioned as an alternative to a heavy and bulky DSLR, as was the Go Pro Hero 3. I will primarily be taking photos, not videos, so I'm erring towards the Q.

I'm thinking of selling the photos (prints or JPEGs) to fellow competitors after the event - is the Q's image quality up to that? The examples I've seen would certainly appear to show that they are!

I recently (yesterday) ran a 10k race with a Fuji S7000 bridge camera. The photos were easy enough to take, I "shot from the hip". The photos were ok, but the image quality isn't there plus it's a big rig.

Which lens would be the best? 5 - 15mm or the 8mm prime?

Does anybody have any thoughts? All replies gratefully accepted!

Cheers,

Matthew.

07-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you want image quality, go with a larger format IMO. The Q will get the job done, but it's not easily pocketable and it's not as fast as say the ricoh GR or sony rx100. And if you're looking for speed, the nikon 1 system is pretty good, I've heard.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The IQ of the Pentax Q is great when you stay at low isos; as these events are outdoor with plenty of light, that should be sufficient. The Q7 improves image quality of the original Q with a larger sensor. The 8,5 mm prime on the Q7 is a 40 mm equivalent, this is great to take picture of peoples, and the system is easily pocketable, i myself ride with my Q very often, but I expect a wide angle prime which is on the roadmap. If you sell pictures, these pictures will not be enlarged tu such a size that image quality should be on par with a high end DSLR camera, IMHO
Regards
07-29-2013, 01:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have taken the Q on my 10km hill runs, and it travels quite well. I have a couple of small LowePro belt pouches which accommodate the kit well.
I would take the 01 Prime on the body and maybe the 03 Fish-Eye in a spare pocket.
I'm sure there are plenty of other options, and Adam has a far better idea of what they might be.