Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which one: Pentax Q or Q7?

(this is about my 4th comment/query on this topic already...sorry, but I want to make the right decision)

I'm going to get either one of these two cameras, but which one?

I like the size and metal body of the Q, but the Q7 has better IQ and is a better all round camera (plus the colour combinations!).

I'll use it when I'm running and cycling plus for everyday photo taking opportunities (for more "serious" times and paid gigs I'll continue to use my K-5).

I might try to sell the pics (prints or JPEGs) during 10k races and road cycling events, too.

So...which one do you recommend?

07-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If you do not plan to make it into a super-duper-telephoto with a converter than the Q7 is a better imaging system natively from the information available currently.
07-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by The Kellyboy Quote
(this is about my 4th comment/query on this topic already...sorry, but I want to make the right decision)

I'm going to get either one of these two cameras, but which one?

I like the size and metal body of the Q, but the Q7 has better IQ and is a better all round camera (plus the colour combinations!).

I'll use it when I'm running and cycling plus for everyday photo taking opportunities (for more "serious" times and paid gigs I'll continue to use my K-5).

I might try to sell the pics (prints or JPEGs) during 10k races and road cycling events, too.

So...which one do you recommend?
Yeah, go for the Q7 if you can. Bigger is better as far as sensor sizes go.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a Q and love it, but I would definitely choose the bigger sensor.

07-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can look at it several different ways, they both have advantages.

1. Cost - the Q is cheaper while supplies last. This might or might not be important to you.
2. IQ improvement - the Q7 does seem to have better quality, but it is an incremental increase, more obvious under some conditions like low light/high ISO. If your primary purpose is shooting outdoors, then the cost difference might be more important than the IQ increase.
3. Focal length - if you want the most reach you can get, then the Q wins. If you want as wide as you can, the Q7 wins. This might or might not be important to you at all.
4. Having nothing to do with pictures (personal preference) - the color variety is one of those personal preference things that might or might not be a deciding factor. I still want a white Kx for some reason. I already know the color combination I want if I were to get a Q7 (which I am unlikely to do at the moment, I feel no need to upgrade one of my two Q cameras). There are other things besides color that falls into this category, such as the metal vs. plastic body etc.

I can see why you are in a quandry. If you are seriously considering selling photos I think the Q7 would get the edge. If you take that out of the equation, I think you fall back on either point #1 (finances) or point #4 (those cool color combinations). I think you stand a good chance of being happy with either camera.
07-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have 2 Q's but the IQ of my older Canon S100 with a 1/1.7 backlit CMOS sensor is slightly better, the S100 is limited to the built in zoom. if the Q7 were available when I got the Q's I would now have (1Q) and (1)Q7 The Q for the additional reach and lower price and the Q7 for the IQ. I had the S100 first and will keep it for snapshots. Now if I could only find the perfect belt case for the Q with the 02 or 06. The S100 has the perfect belt case but it will not fit the Q.

Hans
07-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi The Kellyboy,

At this point in time, I'd think that price would have to be a significant consideration. Personally, I find the larger sensor pretty much a horizontal "upgrade". To get significantly better IQ, from what I've seen, you'd probably have to go to a 1" sensor. Feature-wise, the cameras are pretty close. Of course there's the FOV difference - if you tend to shoot wider, then the Q7 will probably fit your wants a bit better since the lens lineup is, at this time, pretty limited.

A good portion of your decision probably should be based on which lens(es) you plan to use most extensively. If you like the idea of a fast prime, then you might find the best deal in a Q + 01 kit if you can find one. You can also possibly get a Q + 01 and 02 kit for less than a Q7 + 02 kit, and if you decide that you want the larger sensor, then just get the Q7 body once the price drops.

Scott

I see that mtgal has made the points I was trying to get across while I was still typing. . .

08-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #8

After much reading, I decided to order a Q. Couldn't beat $250 for a used one from KEH via Amazon. Hope to have it by the weekend......white with 01. Ordered the wasabi 2 battery kit, and will be ordering a half case and strap shortly....yay.
08-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leitztozeiss Quote
After much reading, I decided to order a Q. Couldn't beat $250 for a used one from KEH via Amazon. Hope to have it by the weekend......white with 01. Ordered the wasabi 2 battery kit, and will be ordering a half case and strap shortly....yay.
Congratulations, welcome aboard!
08-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Too late to this.

Q7 without a doubt for me

Less packed sensor (more forgiving on lenses)
Better high ISO
Better IQ
Better AF all round
A bit more DOF control (I'd even venture to say; rather good for a pns sensor)
Better customization of the quick dial
Better BC (yes, the feature we'd all like to forget about on the Q)

Probably more, I just haven't gotten round exploring everything on my Q7.