Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Teddy 738 Quote
Re: 01 Lenses
Lens#1: Ser.# 3021xxx weight 36gr.
Lens#2: Ser.# 3026xxx weight 36gr.

Ted
Thanks Ted, those specs are in line with mine so I assume the construction is the same plastic.
Let's see what Scott's comes in at.
I suspect Hans lens weighs the same as ours.

08-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I can't vouch for the absolute accuracy of my scale -- it is a pretty high end digital food scale -- but my 01 is coming in at 36 grams and when I change it to oz, it shows 1.3 oz. I have a friend who has what should be a more accurate scale and I'll try his in the next few days.

Scott
08-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mpreston Quote
I have two 01 lenses. I pretty sure they both are plastic. I took a compass point and it seemed to make a indention.

The first one I bought back in the spring of 2012 with a serial number 3070607 the second one is 3082350.
For reference both of my 01s weighed in at 37 g
08-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #19

Reweigh )1 lenses

I weighed them again both came in a 37g and 1.3 oz.

I'm using this exact scale but it only measures in 1 g increments (0.1 oz) so its not all that accurate.

08-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not vouching for the accuracy of my scale either, it is a Sunbeam food scale.

I thought the difference in materials between a metal 01 and plastic 01 would change weight in a measurable amount, but who knows?

Maybe that 1 gram difference is it. But since Scott indicates the same weight as mine and he states his is metal, maybe weight is not the identifying factor.

Perhaps only destructive testing will determine the difference, and I draw the line there
08-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was reading the Photozone lens review of the 01 & 02 lens and came across this in the review "The build quality of this tiny lens is very good. The outer barrel is made of some kind of alloy although the inner construction is made of plastic (plus the glass elements, of course)." and the review of the 02 said "The build quality of this tiny lens is very good. The outer barrel is made of some kind of alloy although the inner tub is made of plastic." and "The rubberized zoom- and metal focus-control rings operate smoothly."

Hans
08-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I was reading the Photozone lens review of the 01 & 02 lens and came across this in the review "The build quality of this tiny lens is very good. The outer barrel is made of some kind of alloy although the inner construction is made of plastic (plus the glass elements, of course)." and the review of the 02 said "The build quality of this tiny lens is very good. The outer barrel is made of some kind of alloy although the inner tub is made of plastic." and "The rubberized zoom- and metal focus-control rings operate smoothly."

Hans
Re:01 Lenses #2
Further searches came up with this from photoreview.com quote
" It weighs only 37.14 grams without the supplied lens cap and end cap,
largely because it's mostly made from lightweight aluminium.

Ted

08-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

01 #3078xxx = 1.3oz.
06 # 3247xxx = 3.2oz.

Both feel like metal in that they are cool to the touch and do not deflect when the barrel is pressed with a pointed object. Both have the same timber when tapped as the OEM 01 Metal hood, which we know is aluminum.

I bought 2 Q's and the 01 and 02 lenses individually in the Marketplace beginning in March from separate members and the third Q as a Body + 02 kit from NewEgg. I couldn't say at all when any of them was manufactured (other than to do an EXIF dump on an image file for the bodies).

I will follow up with both 02's when I can pry the other 2 Q's out of my wife's fingers.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-01-2013 at 08:22 PM.
08-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #24
Veteran Member

from what I can remember the 02 lens was metal and I bought everything Q related like a week or two after it's launch and payed launch prices for it, I even own a sonnetar which is going bye bye soon just like the rest of my Q stuff. The 02 was def metal I remember because the lens hood was plastic and I thought to myself at the time why they couldnt make it all metal like the 01. I wouldn't doubt that they changed materials to cut cost. they are selling black 01s on evil bay right now, I wonder if those are plastic or aluminum lenses...
08-11-2013, 12:55 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've got a very rudimentary yet fairly accurate method of telling metal from plastic.

After my test subject has spent some time untouched and turned off in a climate controled location (say indoors 75° f), I touch it with my lips. If it is cool to the touch it's metal. If not, plastic.

That's how I discovered (god forbid I look it up), much to my chagrin, that the entire back plate of my K-5 is plastic.

Lips are far more sensitive to heat than fingertips.

Oh, and my 01 is plastic.
08-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Thanks Ted, those specs are in line with mine so I assume the construction is the same plastic.
Let's see what Scott's comes in at.
I suspect Hans lens weighs the same as ours.
Memo to all those who live in So.Cal. and took part in the conference call
with James Malcolm,maybe he can clear it up for us?

Ted