Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These are very impressive shots coming from the Pentax Q7, to the extent that I am seriously thinking to buy one for myself.

Do you guys owned all the q lenses family? I wonder how much this will set the wallet back?

08-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #32
Banned

Great story. We don't have that restaurant overhere with warriors.
08-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a great review pinholecam. Can't wait for the adapted long lens section. Still curious how much wider the 03 is on Q7 vsQ/Q10, and if the trimming is noticeable.
thanks
barondla
08-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RonHendriks1966, you need to add a Q to your yellow K-01. They get along fine. It is surprising how people relate to the Q and don't even care that they are being photographed.
thanks
barondla

08-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Great stuff as usual, Pinholecam! A simultaneous thanks and damn you for making me want the Q7!
08-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Great stuff as usual, Pinholecam! A simultaneous thanks and damn you for making me want the Q7!

+1

Great Review and Pics as usual Pinholecam thank's.

Ted
08-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by theeggplanthunter Quote
I love the shot of the skyline. The 80s japanese architecture plays with the skyscraper on the right, which looks like the registration holes on film. Rad shot!
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
You sir are a master. Great pictures. Great review!

You are also brave for taking pictures of a girl's backside.
QuoteOriginally posted by antzutd Quote
amazing review! thank you for the hard work! really enjoyed it!
Thank you guys!
Really appreciate it to know that I'm not writing stuff that isn't read by anyone.

08-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
These are very impressive shots coming from the Pentax Q7, to the extent that I am seriously thinking to buy one for myself.

Do you guys owned all the q lenses family? I wonder how much this will set the wallet back?
The dual lens kit (02, 06) should be about $6xx
Thats based on Japan prices, but I do think US prices follow that pretty closely.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Great story. We don't have that restaurant overhere with warriors.
Thanks Ron.
You don't need such a restaurant in Holland with the many ahem... alternative entertainment around

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
It is a great review pinholecam. Can't wait for the adapted long lens section. Still curious how much wider the 03 is on Q7 vsQ/Q10, and if the trimming is noticeable.
thanks
barondla
Thanks Barondla.
I'm a bit delayed with that part of the review due to work and time commitments, but I'll certainly get to those.

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
John, thanks for your kinds words as usual.
08-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Thanks Pinholecam for the great read, looking forward to see and hear more of this amazing Q7.
Love your pictures and hands on review, keep it coming you are Great at it.
08-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Some of the features on the Q7

Something a bit more dry, but here are some options that can be quickly accessed by the 4 way directional buttons that are increased and improved over the Q/Q10.
Its basically pretty generous, for such a small camera.

Many modes available for shooting. The interesting ones over what most cameras have (esp. such a small one) are :
1. Exposure bracketing (via shutter button or via IR remote)
2. Multi-exposure up to 9 shots (useful for creating 'slow' effects with moving water (eg. waterfall; sea waves) - triggered normally/remote/timer
3. Interval shooting

The notable one here is the 3 memory option for custom White Balance (WB)
Example of usage would be to store WB for ones own house; one for the color cast of a ND filter; one for a favorite sunset color.

Again a wealth of on camera flash option from the typical auto, red-eye reduction, to trailing curtain sync.

This is whats configurable from the Quick Dial if one does not want to use it for picture modes.

Overall, I'm impressed by this 'no hold barred' approach by Pentax to provide as many features as they can.
No mindset that a small camera should not have good/many features or tie it such that only expensive higher tier ones get more functions/features that are just firmware/software implementations (i.e. no hardware costs involved)
08-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Some of the features on the Q7

Something a bit more dry, but here are some options that can be quickly accessed by the 4 way directional buttons that are increased and improved over the Q/Q10.
Its basically pretty generous, for such a small camera.

Many modes available for shooting. The interesting ones over what most cameras have (esp. such a small one) are :
1. Exposure bracketing (via shutter button or via IR remote)
2. Multi-exposure up to 9 shots (useful for creating 'slow' effects with moving water (eg. waterfall; sea waves) - triggered normally/remote/timer
3. Interval shooting

The notable one here is the 3 memory option for custom White Balance (WB)
Example of usage would be to store WB for ones own house; one for the color cast of a ND filter; one for a favorite sunset color.

Again a wealth of on camera flash option from the typical auto, red-eye reduction, to trailing curtain sync.

This is whats configurable from the Quick Dial if one does not want to use it for picture modes.

Overall, I'm impressed by this 'no hold barred' approach by Pentax to provide as many features as they can.
No mindset that a small camera should not have good/many features or tie it such that only expensive higher tier ones get more functions/features that are just firmware/software implementations (i.e. no hardware costs involved)
Thanks for this exceptionally useful information, Pinholecam. The ways in which the quick dial can be reconfigured is likely to be especially helpful in my view.
08-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Question: Is this per position (as it should be), or is it for the whole dial (as I assume from prior experience with the dial working hard on being less useful for no apparent reason)?

To make my question clearer: If I choose for example focus peaking, is this the only thing the whole dial does now?

Of course what I really want is still full user modes on it (like on the K5, not the unrelated "user" thing they have on the front dial of the original Q), but that's obviously not what I'm getting.
08-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Question: Is this per position (as it should be), or is it for the whole dial (as I assume from prior experience with the dial working hard on being less useful for no apparent reason)?

To make my question clearer: If I choose for example focus peaking, is this the only thing the whole dial does now?

Of course what I really want is still full user modes on it (like on the K5, not the unrelated "user" thing they have on the front dial of the original Q), but that's obviously not what I'm getting.
The setting changes I show above is for the whole dial.
Yes, thats not as good as per position, at least for firmware v1.0
It can be pretty lame too since there are 4 dial positions and many cases only 2 options (eg. ND ON, ND OFF )

However, for picture presets, its much better now as its per position and we can store almost any preset+filter setting so long as the camera has it.
08-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #44
Veteran Member

The setting changes I show above is for the whole dial.
Yes, thats not as good as per position, at least for firmware v1.0
It can be pretty lame too since there are 4 dial positions and many cases only 2 options (eg. ND ON, ND OFF )
I've got to find a way to befriend someone who works on the firmware for Pentax cameras. (Or at least a good channel to contact them, which I don't think I have. Anyone?)
08-28-2013, 05:07 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I hate the Quick Dial, it's useless to me. Why didn't they just give us a second wheel on the Q7, like all current Pentax bodies?