Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #46
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I hate the Quick Dial, it's useless to me. Why didn't they just give us a second wheel on the Q7, like all current Pentax bodies?
Because the quick dial is very useful for some people, especially those that use the Q for video.

08-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by verdigris Quote
Because the quick dial is very useful for some people, especially those that use the Q for video.
OK, then they should have at least provided a lock out feature to defeat when it accidentally gets moved and starts shooting jpegs.
08-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OK, then they should have at least provided a lock out feature to defeat when it accidentally gets moved and starts shooting jpegs.
They do, even if they don't call it that. Set it to aspect ratio and you'll still get raw. (And set all positions to 4:3 if you want it to really do nothing. But the raw stores the whole frame regardless, so unless your software is stupid you lose nothing from using other aspects.)
08-29-2013, 06:02 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
They do, even if they don't call it that. Set it to aspect ratio and you'll still get raw. (And set all positions to 4:3 if you want it to really do nothing. But the raw stores the whole frame regardless, so unless your software is stupid you lose nothing from using other aspects.)
Good suggestion, thanks.

08-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #50
Site Supporter

This is a great thread! Thanks for posting all those pictures, pinholecamera!

Are any of these pictures available at their native resolutions on a flickr account? I'd love to pixel peep and see the sharpness.
09-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
This is a great thread! Thanks for posting all those pictures, pinholecamera!

Are any of these pictures available at their native resolutions on a flickr account? I'd love to pixel peep and see the sharpness.
Sorry, but I'm purposely avoiding 100% pixel peeping with this sort of real world review.
IMHO, lets face it, its not going to cut it vs 1"; m4/3 or aps-c in terms of pixel peeping quality.
Its certainly good enough for most intents (as most cameras are nowadays) in IQ.
So why bother (for me).
The last thing I want is another one of those 'Large sensor is holier than thou' folks declaring that XXX camera is the best and the Q is pointless, just by pixel peeping at my samples.
Did they even use the camera and see its pros as well as its cons? (no! or that they were too myoptic to see it)

Thats why I've always focused on the usage of the Q system in all 3 reviews I've done, the spontaneousness of using it, its strengths in easy macro (and a bit super tele) , how easy it is to do street photography, etc.
Right system for the right job.
Or rather fun system for the fun times.
Thats where I want to get to in these reviews.

Hope you understand.

BTW, I dislike doing boring controlled tests, cropping to 100% and posting them up.
I just do a poor job of it.
Those DPR or IR comparison sites do a far better job imo.
And the Q7 comparisons are up on IR and DPR.
I think its better to compare images there. (but don't trust DPR's review )
09-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good suggestion, thanks.
On the Q7, you can also set the Quick Dial to "ND OFF" (ie. nd filter off) on all positions.
Effectively, it does nothing.

But imho, the quick dial adds to the spontaneous usage of picture settings/filters.
Otherwise, my usual dull side takes over, and I just try to take 'straight shots' over and over (just like on my other 'serious cameras' )
10-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Been very busy and had no time to generate anything new for the review (or accumulating content for it)

Demo of Multi-exposure mode (for practical usage)

Here is a practical example of what a feature like the multiple exposure function is able to help out in some situations.
The Q7 does up to 9 frames.

Single shot at ISO100, f5.6, 1/13s (max for the Toy Fisheye)

Multi-exposure (9 frames combined in-camera; 1/13s each) + 1 frame to expose for the sky.
Notice the slightly calmer waters from combining the frames.

Its a good feature to have when one is w/o a ND filter or a weak ND filter that is not enough to slow moment.

10-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
BC (Blur Control)

To give the ability to get a more shallow DOF look on a small sensor camera, Pentax introduced a Blur Control mode on the Q system.
It has its own dial position on the mode dial.

I would not touch this thing with a barge pole on the older Q model, but I think it works a bit better on Q7.
It can still come up with awful results though.

My take on it is that it is a 'fun' effect, but don't count on it for that wedding job.

If this mode allowed 3 frames (actual; front focused; back focused) to be saved and used for manual blending, that it would be so much better.

BC = 'Being Corny' mode

10-05-2013, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

Original Poster
4.6x macro

The Q7 again provides unique macro opportunities with its 4.6x crop sensor.

I find that the newer sensor gives a bit better iso performance when need be (eg. a practical ISO200-400 for macro if necesary)
The 5.6x vs 4.6x crop of the Q vs Q7 did not pose much of a practical difference as usually magnification was enough before 1:1 and considerations needed to be given to composition and having more DOF.

The following 3 shots are with a trial Q7+06 zoom+ x4 close up filter.
The x4 filter does not give as much magnification, but does give the advantage of a small light setup with auto aperture and auto focus as well as flash sync of 1/250.

10-05-2013, 08:53 PM - 2 Likes   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
With dedicated macro lens.

With a dedicated macro lens ( the Vivitar 55/2.8 macro this time).
Options open a bit with its flexibility to do 1:1 macro (accentuated by the crop factor of 4.6x) and a fully usable focus range from minimum focus distance to infinity.

10-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #57
Inactive Account

Amazing stuff Pinholecam!, Great to see someone who has 'master' control of his Q7
10-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Slice Of Light Quote
Amazing stuff Pinholecam!, Great to see someone who has 'master' control of his Q7
Thanks.
More like a learning journey rather than mastering.
10-06-2013, 06:14 AM - 2 Likes   #59
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just to give an idea of what the Q7 with macro lens can get to with a very familiar subject.
All images shown so far are mostly uncropped or just cropped slightly for composition, so thats how close the combi gets.

Doing a macro review is risky business.
Had to be a blood donor.
10-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #60

hi pinholecam,

great review. kudos.

I am looking for a small camera for my vacation. currently this Q7 is in my top list.

looking at your macro shots, I'd like to ask - did you use the original adapter or the 3rd party from ebay? if you used the 3rd party, does it have any glass in it? i'd like to buy the original PK-Q adapter but the price is soooo expensive