Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2013, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
Pentax Q Time Lapse Experiment

I used the Q to take a time lapse of a neighborhood movie night we put on tonight.
I wanted to see how long a single battery would hold out.

The stats were:
Fully charged Pentax OEM battery
Lasted for 856 exposures
Total time from start to finish was 143 minutes (2 hours 23 minutes)
Interval setting was a every 10 seconds
The lens used was 03 Fisheye which has a fixed aperture of f5.6
I used AV mode with Auto ISO max of 3200
Starting at 6:40 PM the camera chose ISO 250, exposure of 1/125 sec
By end of the evening the camera used ISO 3200, exposure of 2 seconds (the max it will do with toy lens)

If I was to do it again I would have set a lower max ISO as the ISO 3200 shots are noisy and I would have liked a darker scene at the end.
I could have PP'd with noise reduction but did not bother for this experiment.

I was surprised the battery lasted as long as it did. In interval mode the camera shuts off quickly after each picture which saves power.
If I do this again I will use the power adapter so I can get the wrap up of the event.

I mounted the camera on the window of my truck that was parked at the curb, using a Manfrotto 243 window mount.

I used Windows Live Movie Maker to join the shots, using a duration of .25 seconds for each.
Music is Youtube stock music.



08-01-2013, 04:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian
hnikesch's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,254
Cool Larry intresting results and stats on the battery, what was the movie

Hans
08-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Richmond, Virginia USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,649
larry great info and i find it really cool to see the light change and the movement of people...it's also cool you still had your camera at the end of the night...it might not have been there in my neighborhood
08-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
So cool Larry! Thanks for sharing the stats on how long the battery lasted along with the number of shots.

I've been meaning to do a time lapse when we go on a grocery run - dog cam or couch cam - want to catch him in the act! I still have yet to order that A/C adapter.....

QuoteQuote:
I used the Q to take a time lapse of a neighborhood movie night we put on tonight.
That is kind of neat - never heard of such a thing before..........

08-01-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member
ChrisJ's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eckington, Derbyshire UK
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 316
The Q is surprisingly good at video and time lapse, this is mine.




Standard 8.5mm lens and a simple piece of wood to hold the camera onto the head restraint mounting, around 0ne frame every 3 seconds as I recall, using Av and on the lowest Jpeg setting.

I used Adobe Premier in Photoshop CS6, lots of possibilties as you can use all the stills photography tools only on a video. Just a touch of High Pass Sharpening on this one.

Chris
08-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
Neat Chris! Except I got half dizzy driving on the left side of the road.........
08-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Cool Larry intresting results and stats on the battery, what was the movie

Hans
Hi Hans, we showed Despicable Me 1. Family friendly faire
08-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
larry great info and i find it really cool to see the light change and the movement of people...it's also cool you still had your camera at the end of the night...it might not have been there in my neighborhood
Thanks Amy. There are parts of our town that are not the best but the folks around our block are nice.

Actually the most annoying guest was a squirrel in a tree over the screen that kept dropping pine cone trash on the stuff as he was eating.
That's why I am looking up in the beginning of the video.


Last edited by crewl1; 08-01-2013 at 07:49 AM.
08-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
So cool Larry! Thanks for sharing the stats on how long the battery lasted along with the number of shots.

I've been meaning to do a time lapse when we go on a grocery run - dog cam or couch cam - want to catch him in the act! I still have yet to order that A/C adapter.....



That is kind of neat - never heard of such a thing before..........
You gotta do it! Would be cool to see what kind of partying goes on at the stormtech house while you guys are away

This is our first movie night in the neighborhood.
I have done them at our church but wanted to meet some of the neighbors that we didn't know, so used this as an excuse to walk around and invite them and say hello.
We gave out 20 invites and had 6 families show up, which I thought was pretty good considering it turned out to be a chilly night.
08-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
The Q is surprisingly good at video and time lapse, this is mine.

Standard 8.5mm lens and a simple piece of wood to hold the camera onto the head restraint mounting, around 0ne frame every 3 seconds as I recall, using Av and on the lowest Jpeg setting.

I used Adobe Premier in Photoshop CS6, lots of possibilties as you can use all the stills photography tools only on a video. Just a touch of High Pass Sharpening on this one.

Chris
That's awesome Chris. Looks like you had more traffic going out than coming back.

I saw one like this taken from the top of a tour bus, I'd like to do one here on an LA tour.

I used LR4 to adjust the angle of the shots prior to doing the movie since I didn't realize I had a slight tilt when I took the photos.
I was able to do the angle adjustment to one shot in develop, then copy and paste the setting to all the rest of the shots.
Very handy!
08-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member
ChrisJ's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eckington, Derbyshire UK
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 316
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
That's awesome Chris. Looks like you had more traffic going out than coming back.

I saw one like this taken from the top of a tour bus, I'd like to do one here on an LA tour.

I used LR4 to adjust the angle of the shots prior to doing the movie since I didn't realize I had a slight tilt when I took the photos.
I was able to do the angle adjustment to one shot in develop, then copy and paste the setting to all the rest of the shots.
Very handy!
Thanks Larry, just shows how versatile the little Q is. We don't normally have much traffic in our small Town, but, at the moment, they are laying a new sewerage system to stop flooding, traffic mayhem everywhere.

I'd like to see one from the top of an LA Tour Bus, time lapse, or drive-lapse as they are getting known, show the layout and give you a feel for a place better than anything

Chris
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, camera, max, mirrorless, movie, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q10, q7, time, time lapse
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Q battery duration for time lapse stormtech Pentax Q 16 06-08-2014 10:09 AM
Drawing Time Lapse Pentax X-5 ASheffield Video and Pentax HDSLRs 9 07-10-2013 05:20 AM
Time Lapse leadguitarest Photographic Technique 2 03-19-2012 10:31 PM
Pentax k2000 time lapse photography possible? fauxnym Visitors' Center 2 02-20-2012 09:43 AM
Time Lapse with Pentax K-x? cmilian Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 12-26-2010 08:24 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:50 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top