Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2013, 04:23 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
03 Fisheye focus keeper tip

One of the annoyances with my 03 fisheye is that the focus throw is super short, and any little handling will move the focus ring from where you need it since it is not damped at all.

Since the lens focus moves past infinity you can't just turn it all the way to lock, actual infinity is about one tick less.

I have been looking for a 'lens band' type of solution to keep focus in place but couldn't find anything until now.

This week I had to get one of our bikes worked on and when I went to the shop I asked them for some throwaway tubes to see if I could find one the right diameter that would work as a lens band.

I was able to use a tube of size 24x1.75 to fit the lens perfectly.

Here is a picture of my first one, it allows the focus to be moved manually but keeps it in place one you find the right spot.

Using the 4x magnification or focus peak assist you can find your setting and then you can handle the lens normally without it going out of focus.

This will make my street shooting easier.

Image is below. I plan to go back and make a neater cut band when I have time.

Attached Images

08-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Inactive Account

On the 06 lens, one forum member slipped a thin shim of plastic underneath the focus ring. Here's the thread where this is posted - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/210797-06-lens.html
08-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Larry,
Always the innovator! I'd happily send you a few bucks for one, if you're interested in going to the trouble.
08-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great minds think alike! I started with a rubber band from a lobster, but have progressed to celery IIRC...

08-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice work John.

If anyone in US wants me to send them a section of tube so you can cut your own keeper band PM me your address.

I have lots of extra. . Send me your info Doc.
08-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
Inactive Account

gonna buy some celery tomorrow. i like the "look"
08-02-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Nice work John.

If anyone in US wants me to send them a section of tube so you can cut your own keeper band PM me your address.

I have lots of extra. . Send me your info Doc.
Larry,
You, sir, are a Mensch!

08-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Larry,

I finally had time today to play with the inner tube you kindly sent me for the 03. Wow, what a great idea. I cut a width just wide enough to allow the cap to seat properly and which covered the ridges and the base of the lens enough for a solid grip. I used a seam on the inner tube as a marker in adjusting the setting of the lens and matched it to a mark on the lens barrel (see photo below). Works like a charm, no more inadvertent movement out of focus and if it does I just need to move the seam back to its correct position Thanks.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
08-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Larry,

I finally had time today to play with the inner tube you kindly sent me for the 03. Wow, what a great idea. I cut a width just wide enough to allow the cap to seat properly and which covered the ridges and the base of the lens enough for a solid grip. I used a seam on the inner tube as a marker in adjusting the setting of the lens and matched it to a mark on the lens barrel (see photo below). Works like a charm, no more inadvertent movement out of focus and if it does I just need to move the seam back to its correct position Thanks.
Way to go, Doc. That's a great idea, I will have to try your method.
08-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Way to go, Doc. That's a great idea, I will have to try your method.
Larry
I used a small "O"ring on mine (OD=32mm,ID=29mm).
Works very well and you can still just see the mark on the
Lensbarrel.

Ted