Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-02-2013, 08:51 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Fotodiox K-Q adapter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The new Fotodiox Pentax K - Q adapter has been redesigned so I ordered one to see what is different about it. I paid 26.00 plus tax from Amazon.
Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter with Aperture Dial, Pentax K/PK Lens to Pentax Q-Series Camera, fits Pentax Q Mirrorless Cameras: Camera & Photo

Right off the bat the design looks more modern, sporting a stacked cylinder look vs the older one's funnel design.

This version does not have a tripod mount or any obvious mounting area, so if needed you will have to find a lens solution.
The Q mount would be stressed too much by the weight leverage of a lens on the end of this mount (except for maybe the DA40XS.)

This version appears to only be sold with an aperture ring which is great, since on the old one there were two versions so you had to take care not order the wrong one (non aperture was cheapest cost.)

For DA lens use you need to have an aperture control on the adapter since the Q cannot control aperture of adapted lenses.

The aperture ring on this new design is a stepless design, vs the old one's click stop design.
It does not have a scale or any marks to tell you where you have set it.

The ring has an extremely short throw from stop to stop, as the movement of the ring translates directly to the aperture arm.
I put a piece of tape on one of the ring notches to show the extent of movement.

On an FA50 1.4 the ring takes the lens from wide open to approx F8.

The ring moves smoothly but i noticed some bits of grease oozing a bit from the edges of the ring, so it would be a good a idea to work the aperture a bit to get most of this out before handling it around camera/lenses or have a rag to wipe it off.

In use the new build quality seems more refined than the old one. The adapter easily mounted and clicked in place on the lens and the Q. The Q end has a tiny bit of play, but so does the Pentax OEM unit.

The short throw and absence of markings do make the aperture control less friendly than it should. I mounted a DA*300 and in contrast to the OEM adapter where I know what setting is best and can quickly dial it in, with this new fotodiox I have no idea where I am setting it and if I get a good position I will not be able to duplicate it unless I paint my own markings on the unit.

I had fading light for these samples, next chance I get I will take it out for some shots in better light.

If not for the short throw and lack of markings this unit would be perfect.
For $26 I think it is worth it for someone wanting to try out adapting their K lenses on the Q and not wanting to spend yet 10x as much on the OEM adapter.

Stick a label on the barrel with some ruler marks and paint a dot on the aperture ring and you should be all set.

08-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice (and the Katana in the background)
08-03-2013, 02:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Larry,

Nice review!!

You always keep us up on the latest developments for the Q series.

Scott
08-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nicely done Larry

08-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Here is my quick fix for the missing scale: printed ruler + tape + Sharpie.
Note the section I attached is probably twice as long as it needs to be given the range of motion.

In this shot you can also see a little bit of that grease leaching out.

http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/paper_rulers/UnstableURL/ruler_foot.pdf

08-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is a sample shot with the Bigma at 500mm with the Fotodiox adapter set at first notch in on my new scale.
This is similar to results from the Pentax OEM adapter since there is no glass involved.

Following is a quick video with the setup and a shot with 01 Prime for idea of distance.

08-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Super review crewl1. Do you feel this adapter needs painting/flocking internally? Kind of miss the tripod socket. The stepped tube construction would make it easy to add a home brew one. Is this adapter as fat as the Pentax near the camera body? The Pentax is pretty cramped for hand holding.
thanks
barondla

08-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Barondla.
It doesn't seem like this adapter will need painting or flocking because the internal angles are straight and they have added ridges as light baffles.

Unfortunately I no longer have the lens that showed most evidence of reflections to test with.

Regarding the girth, this adapter is smaller overall than the OEM.

I will post some comparison shots when I get home this evening.
08-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice review Larry - thanks for taking the time and sharing it with us. Also nice to see Fododiox upgrading this for the Q.
08-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Stan. Here are some comparison photos.

08-05-2013, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I actually just got one of these and am returning it. I ordered through amazon prime and it arrived in a beat-up, unsealed container, and the lens release pin was busted.

Is there any other option with an aperture control ring other than this or the expensive pentax model?
08-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
I actually just got one of these and am returning it. I ordered through amazon prime and it arrived in a beat-up, unsealed container, and the lens release pin was busted.

Is there any other option with an aperture control ring other than this or the expensive pentax model?
Yes the box mine came in appears too small for the unit and offers no protection. Fortunately the whole thing was shipped in a larger box and arrived intact.

There is the RJ version which looks like the old Fotodiox, I believe a few folks here have used this unit.
Based on the design it is possible it may need some attention to reduce internal reflections by painting with flat black paint or flocking.
RJ Pentax PK PK A AF Da Lens to Pentax Q Adapter with Tripod Mount Aperture Ring | eBay

Last edited by crewl1; 08-05-2013 at 08:03 AM.
08-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

A little history, FWIW. When I first got my first Q, I had gone to Fotodiox (it's not too far from where I live) and inquired about their plans to offer a K to Q adapter. The owner was in China on a buying trip, and they had not yet even considered an adapter in this configuration, but would contact me if and when they had something. About a month after, RJ offered one for sale with the aperture ring, and I bought one of those. Up to that point, I had been using a Bower K to C adapter and a Kipon C to Q adapter which worked, but the registration distance was not on the money, so there were some focusing issues with at least one lens. Two or three months after getting the RJ (which works fine), Fotodiox contacted me saying that they had an adapter available, but since I already had the RJ, I told them I had already found another, and thanked them for following up on my original inquiry. When I saw pics of their adapter, it was pretty obvious that they either sourced their adapter from the same maker, or was getting them from RJ rebadged since they looked to be the same piece. My best guess is that they were getting their adapters from the same source.

I still have and use my RJ, BTW, even after getting a Pentax OEM. It's good for stealth shooting since using it defaults to the electronic shutter at all speeds, and it's totally silent. I like the Q with the FA 50 f1.4 or F 50 f1.7 for candids at parties and family get togethers. It's silent and inconspicuous, and gives me a similar FOV to a 180mm on one of my Pentax bodies, but at f1.4/1.7, which gives me an extra two stops over the big heavy, and rather intimidating Sigma EX 180 f3.5 Macro or A* 200 f2.8 on a K-5.

From all of this, just from experience and looking at Larry's pics of the new Fotodiox, I'd say that the Pentax OEM is the best because of the included shutter and very fine aperture control, and the RJ/original Fotodiox is probably the easiest to handhold because it's the smallest, so gives more clearance to grasp the body for the right hand, The new Fotodiox looks to be the best of the 3rd party adapters other than the very pricey Novoflex ($292 without a shutter) and the ultra pricey Rayqual (not easily available outside Japan -- I was quoted something over $400 to get one to the US, IIRC) , and Larry's mod for the aperture ring looks to make it very usable.

Scott
08-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I followed Scotts lead and did the Pk to C/C -Q adapter. Then moved to the RJ adapter. It needs the mentioned painting/flocking. It also needs the tripod adapter stabilized with JB Weld. Even though I have the oem Pentax adater I still use the RJ at times because of the larger hand hold it provides.

The Fotodiox looks great, but I wouldn't be able to do without the tripod foot. Think it would be easier for me to strengthen the RJ foot than build one for the Fotodiox. Though a rotating foot would be possible for the Fotodiox.
thanks
barondla
04-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
I actually just got one of these and am returning it. I ordered through amazon prime and it arrived in a beat-up, unsealed container, and the lens release pin was busted...
Thanks to crewl1 for the review and for starting this informative thread. FWIW, I ordered one of the same Fotodiox adapters off the 'bay, and when I received it, the lens release button/lever was broken off and missing out of the box. Seeing another forum member's similar experience here doesn't inspire confidence; I’m thinking it may be a design weakness of that model. Anyway I’m taking that up with the seller…meanwhile my next move may be to get the RJ, as I just can’t see myself spending the big bucks for the Pentax version.