Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2013, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New Pentax Gameseeker Mini red dot sight review.

My dealer always lets me know when there is a new Pentax accessory. Got a call to check out Pentax's third red dot sight. Couldn't wait to see what Pentax changed.

The Gameskeeper Mini is a tube style sight like our beloved RD10. Takes the same 2032 battery and has a very similar click stopped on/off/intensity setting knob. The main draw of the Mini is the size. Taking this out of the box was a feeling of deja vu. It surprises in the same way the Q does. The mini is so, mini. It makes the RD10 sight look like a giant.

In use:

The Mini is very easy to use ( I prefer it to the screen style sight). The control knob is built as well as the RD10. The unit is water tight. Aiming is nice. Love how little room this reQuires in the camera bag. It is sized to fit the Q. The horizontal and vertical adjustments work the same way as the RD10, precisely and smoothly. A pleasure to use.

Mounting to the X-tenda sight adapter is a little picky. There is only one clamping knob on the Mini and the shaft can run into the small top rails on the X-tenda sight. To fix this you have to either mount it forward of the rail or to the rear. Not a big problem.

We do loose one feature I love about the RD10- the stretchy string lenscaps that are clear. The Mini has the front and rear opaque caps tied together by a long solid rubber piece. It must be taken off to use. Could probably find replacement caps at a gun store.

pros:

Super small size. So small the X-tenda sight adapter could be shortened considerably.

Waterproof construction. Nitrogen purged.

Looks freaking cool on the Q!

Quality construction.

Cons:

A little more expensive than RD10.

Smaller tube has narrower field of view. Static subjects no problem. Moving objects are a little more problem ( not the strength of the Q anyway).

Has Pentax started the Q birder set with this unit? I hope so. Pentax, make the kit and sell an adapter to attach your sights to a hotshoe. Please. You are missing a great chance to one up the other brands.

thanks
barondla

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by barondla; 08-05-2013 at 06:52 PM.
08-05-2013, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Niiiiiice!

Thanks for the info and review!
08-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cool! How about the vertical adjustment?
That is the one thing I have trouble with.
08-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey that looks awesome Barondla.
In the mounted picture it looks like the setting knob is forward whereas on the old one it was towards the rear.
Is that the way it goes or is it on backwards?

08-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
LaurenOE, not sure I understand the question. The up/down adjustment works the same as the RD10. It moves in little click stop movements. What problems are you having with it?

Crewl1, I think the Mini is mounted properly in the illustration. I removed the RD10 and mounted the Mini to the X-tenda sight adapter. Went out and used it for a while. Then brought it in to photograph. Don't remember taking it off X-tenda sight adapter, then reinstalling. I could be wrong however. Went to the dealer to take a second look and he has already sold out. Neither of us remember. Sorry.

thanks
barondla
08-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
LaurenOE, not sure I understand the question. The up/down adjustment works the same as the RD10. It moves in little click stop movements. What problems are you having with it?

Crewl1, I think the Mini is mounted properly in the illustration. I removed the RD10 and mounted the Mini to the X-tenda sight adapter. Went out and used it for a while. Then brought it in to photograph. Don't remember taking it off X-tenda sight adapter, then reinstalling. I could be wrong however. Went to the dealer to take a second look and he has already sold out. Neither of us remember. Sorry.

thanks
barondla
It seems that I need more up/down adjustment to be perfectly aligned.
It's not a huge deal, as I tend to put the K5 in 5 point auto when I am trying for BIF or other fast moving objects.
08-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
It seems that I need more up/down adjustment to be perfectly aligned.
It's not a huge deal, as I tend to put the K5 in 5 point auto when I am trying for BIF or other fast moving objects.
I have no problem getting the Pentax RD10 centered on any of my Pentax cameras (K20D, K-7, Q). The Mini worked fine on the Q, so it should work fine on the other cameras. Is it possible there is something wrong with your RD10 or more likely the X-tenda sight adapter? Is anyone else having a tough time centering their red dot sight?
thanks
barondla
08-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

No issues getting my RD10 aligned.
Lauren - I recall someone showing a picture of their setup with the rails mounted in the opposite position from mine, so they had to use the small shelf on the Xtenda sight.
Is that how yours is set up?
In my configuration the rails are setup so they grip the large track on the Xtenda sight.
If yours is setup like mine, then contact Phil at Xtenda sight to see if he has any suggestions or perhaps would swap your unit.

08-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Hi Barondla,

Good review! Thanks for the heads up.

I've got a local dealer a couple of towns over who apparently has it in stock, so I'll head over and check it out when I get a chance. It would be nice to have a "matching" Pentax RDS for both my Q and DSLR setups.

This really looks like a perfect RDS for the Q. I think I'd cut a channel into the 3/8 dovetail to give the screw shaft some clearance so I could mount the scope farther forward though as long as this didn't mess up the eye relief.

Scott
06-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
This really looks like a perfect RDS for the Q. I think I'd cut a channel into the 3/8 dovetail to give the screw shaft some clearance so I could mount the scope farther forward though as long as this didn't mess up the eye relief.
Scott
Wouldn't it be possible to get an adapter rail that attaches to the 3/8 dovetail, and then attach the mini to that? Lifts it up for clearance (not sure if needed). I am thinking of getting the mini - just don't like that it is sticking out over the end... Maybe it is not a big deal???
06-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I haven't researched it but you may be able to find one that will work.
I find it difficult to guesstimate without having the parts in front of me.
Something like this?
Amazon.com : UTG Low Profile Riser Mount with 3 slots : Airsoft Mounts : Sports & Outdoors
06-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yep - except I was thinking of getting something that matched the length of the x-tenda - but that is probably really only to make it look nicer. I will probably order this week and post how it works.