Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2013, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They should just look at a 'real world review'

Can never trust a straight tie camera review website to show off what the camera can do.

All I can say, I have the camera and have used it probably more and more intensively that the reviewer.
All real world, real life situations.
To me, the Q7 with the bigger sensor is 'There'
Something that one has no qualms about bringing out as a camera that will carry the day thru.
01, 06 and FE are great (and perhaps so the 02, but I'm not chummy with it yet), limited no. of lenses comment in the summary is toss.. (Its good enough for now IF the user has the vision)
Don't forget that lenses carry over to the next system, so in the long run, its cheaper than any 'like' pns.
They still can't detach their thinking that ILC means that it needs a big sensor.... sad...

Q7+FE something no other compact camera has unless attaching a 3rd party FE adapter which is big and gives bad IQ.
A last minute trip to this spot yesterday cause some visiting relatives wanted to view the place.
Did not want to be burdened by gear and I knew the sky wasn't the best (gloomy), so just grabbed the Q7 and a full set (FE,01;06) all in a waist pouch.

All said though, pretty even review that's quite expected from DPR ( also lacks that 'oomph' in enthusiasm and vision to use a camera thats typical from them )

Last edited by pinholecam; 08-09-2013 at 05:06 PM.
08-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #17

I didn't really find anything wrong with the review. It's for the masses after all. It covered all the usual aspects that you'd expect to see in any sort of review. I'm not sure how this sort of stuff works but maybe Pentax Marketing could've supplied a review unit and it would've rated more than a single mention in a pages long review.

Anyway, chances are that if you are the sort of person who was interested in the non usual capabilities of anything you'd be on blogs/forums looking for information no? Real world information and real experience is best after all.
08-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
A rather uninspired review to be sure, but I think that's DPR for you. Certainly, you have to give them "credit" for paying a bit more attention to the brand and its unique offerings. (I recall seeing a commenter having to point out to a DPR staffer who credited some Canikon full frame camera with leading low light focusing ability when the Pentax K-5ii had already set the bar on that front.)

The Q is a unique proposition and if you don't make an effort to appreciate it for what it is, then this is the sort of review you get -- one that misses the point. They way cameras are going especially in mirrorless, I think DPR won't be able to do these straightjacket reviews and have them be useful to anyone, never mind "the masses."

This is a bit self-serving, but I do consider if and how a site reviews/acknowledges Pentax for the quality and high-value gear it makes to be indicative of how fairminded/competent a camera site is, and a measure of how enthusiastic about cameras in general they actually are. DPR I find measures up not so great in this regard. Very stodgy bunch for the most part. But I guess the 800 pound gorilla of camera review sites seems to do whatever it wants, I suppose.
08-11-2013, 04:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I agree with your comments NotSteve. Being that DPR is merely an advertising vehicle for Amazon, they will of course cater their reviews to the masses where they know a lot of sales will be generated (Canikon etc).