Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #1

Q lenses on K body?

Is it possible to use Q lenses on a K-mount body? I realize this is a rather silly question, but I'm curious about it and can't find an answer anywhere. I was thinking it might be a fun experiment when I get a Q7 in the near-ish future.

08-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The registration distance is short for a Q lens to sensor, you'd have to stick the lens inside the mirror box of the K camera.
Only toy lenses that do not have a leaf shutter are open to pass light through if not activated by the Q.
No one makes an adapter that lets you mount a Q lens on a K body, and such a device would need optical correction as well.
Image circle would be small so lots of vignetting on the K camera.
Lot of other reasons not to do it, I'm sure.
08-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The registration distance is short for a Q lens to sensor, you'd have to stick the lens inside the mirror box of the K camera.
Only toy lenses that do not have a leaf shutter are open to pass light through if not activated by the Q.
No one makes an adapter that lets you mount a Q lens on a K body, and such a device would need optical correction as well.
Image circle would be small so lots of vignetting on the K camera.
Lot of other reasons not to do it, I'm sure.
Ah, okay. I thought that would be the case. Thanks for the answer!
08-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Neopifex Quote
Ah, okay. I thought that would be the case. Thanks for the answer!
Actually,it is possible to use small format lenses in something like the way you ask. You need to use a second lens, such as a 35mm macro lens as a relay lens. I have done this with a Cosmicar 8.5mm cctv lens in C mount. It works fine and gives you the kind of pictures you probably wouldn't get any other way. I found this technique on line and spent many happy hours replicating it with items from my photo -junk box. Try googling "roll your own lens" for the original article that I followed.