Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #1

My new Q is defective ! :(

I just got a new Q with the 01 prime lens. This was my second attempt to purchase one since July. I had a problem with my first order from amazon (the seller sold it to someone else), so I ordered a "new" Q with 01 prime from a legit e-bay seller.

I turn on my camera and there is a nice straight thin black line running horizontally across the LCD screen. I really don't want to go through the hastle of returning it and waiting for a new one. Is the black line just dead pixels, or is my LCD bad? In other words, if it doesn't affect the pictures, I guess I can live with it.

Advice?

08-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Send it back.
08-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There is an option to show different patterns on the screen are you sure it is not one of those that is on?
08-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would agree with Jatrax. If it has this fault new, what other faults or possible damage might it have?

08-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Reset to factory default settings (chapter 'Default Settings' in manual).
08-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
1. Camera is not in grid view. When the lens cap is on, the line appears as different colored pixels
2. I tried resetting, no dice.
08-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I know how hard it is to get a new toy and have to send it back. My first k-5 had a defective level system, I could have lived with it and kept the camera but after a day or so I realized I paid a lot of money for this and every time I use it I'm going to see the one fault and not all the good things. So I sent it back, got a good copy and have been very happy since.

So, it really stinks but, send it back!
08-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

The focus peaking makes some weird patterns and sometimes snow when the lens cap is on. However, I've never seen a black line across the LCD.

08-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Send it back!
08-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
legit e-bay seller.
Oxymoron?

Send it back.
08-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
Pentaxian

My screen has a vertical line

About three months into ownership, mine developed a single-pixel vertical line down the right side of the screen. No impact on the image quality, of course. Sometimes, depending on the scene, you get a second, lighter toned echo line.

I have several months left on the warranty - and will wait until near the end of the warranty period before deciding to send it in. My guess is that it isn't going to be repairable, so I will likely get a refurbished unit. My first Q was defective on arrival - often freezing if used for several shots in a row or with the flash.

As with many things that are miniature - early failure rates are high even on something so finely crafted. So, the hesitation to exchange or repair a problem that is essentially cosmetic in nature - has its potential downsides...