Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very good point Gibby. Don't want to scratch the front element.
thanks
barondla

08-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #17
Forum Member

Hi Gibby TheMole
Those Pipe endcaps i'm thinking of are twice as deep as the original.

Ted
08-21-2013, 04:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Teddy 738 Quote
Those Pipe endcaps i'm thinking of are twice as deep as the original.
There ya go... Sounds like a plan! :-)
08-26-2013, 06:37 AM   #19

Original Poster
Hi Gibby. I'm fairly certain that the cap I lost didn't have or need any such protrusions. It sat on the focus ring (too loosely of course) which kept the end of the cap from touching the front element. Perhaps Pentax used more than type of plastic doohickey for lens cap.

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Here's a thing to remember with the cap for the 03, though... If you look at the inside, there are little protrusions that stop the cap from making contact with the convex front element. If you stick something else on there, unless it's deep enough for the focusing ring to stop it, it might rub up against the glass. That's what I'd be concerned about with a DIY cap on that particular lens. If it was a regular flat lens with filter threads, it wouldn't be a problem.

08-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #20

Original Poster
Well, folks here's the ending of my story. I went to Home Depot last week looking for pipe end caps after striking out at Lowe's. It looked like I was also going to come up empty there as well. I came across some plastic caps for furniture legs which were cheap, but the plastic was really hard so there wouldn't be any give, plus it might scratch up the lens barrel. In the plumbing dept, it seemed they only had large diameter end caps for PVC piping. Then I noticed, rolling around on the floor near the station were they were threading steel pipe, several end caps for 1" steel pipe. They hadn't made it into the scrap bin. In the end I found four like that. One is actually too narrow, but the others fit quite nicely. Thanks for the help everyone. If anyone else needs one, send me a PM. Here's some pictures:

08-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good info NotSteve. I will have to keep an eye out for some on my next HD trip, thanks.
08-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hah Hah! Mine just came today and I had (still having) precisely the same discomfiting sensation. There are throw-away end caps on all kinds of partially assembled household furnishings to protect them during shipping - I think that's what I'm remembering (I save that kind of stuff in a big jar on my workbench).
QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
Well, folks here's the ending of my story. I went to Home Depot last week looking for pipe end caps after striking out at Lowe's. It looked like I was also going to come up empty there as well. I came across some plastic caps for furniture legs which were cheap, but the plastic was really hard so there wouldn't be any give, plus it might scratch up the lens barrel. In the plumbing dept, it seemed they only had large diameter end caps for PVC piping. Then I noticed, rolling around on the floor near the station were they were threading steel pipe, several end caps for 1" steel pipe. They hadn't made it into the scrap bin. In the end I found four like that. One is actually too narrow, but the others fit quite nicely. Thanks for the help everyone. If anyone else needs one, send me a PM. Here's some pictures:
I knew I was thinking of something like that