Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
What can I repurpose as replacement lens cap for 03 fisheye ens?

Hey everybody,

Well, I've finally gone and lost the lens cover for the 03 fisheye lens. Seems to pop off a bit too easily on its own or pop out of my pockets more than other lenses (or maybe I just use it more than the others). I should have learned my lesson and put a bit of scotch table on the inside edge to reduce the circumference and make it a bit grippier -- too late for that now.

So, naturally I can order a replacement for about $10 + tx and shipping from any number of places, but that really seems a bit pricey. Since I can't be the only one having this problem, I thought I'd see if anyone else already figured out an alternative or could suggest one. I've got this feeling there is something that I'm just not thinking of -- some small commonly available plastic container I can just cut the end off -- which could be used.

Got any bright ideas?

Last edited by NotSteve; 08-19-2013 at 06:54 PM.
08-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Lately I was looking into the math required to make your own hood and came across the following threads:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/135542-diy-lens-hoods-no-math-required.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/134700-optimum...culator-4.html

Perhaps you can get some ideas there.
08-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Find a source for individual units of these.
Kapsto 250 / 33.7 Polyethylene Protective Cap For Pipes, Yellow, 33.7 mm Tube OD (Pack of 100): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

You could try a plumbing supply shop.

For mine I found a generic plastic 33.7mm cap on ebay but don't see any at the moment.
08-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi NotSteve,

I'd probably try making one. You could use either resin coated paper or get some thin plastic sheet from a hobby or craft store (model makers use this kind of stuff for a lot of things) -- I've also used flexible thin plastic cutting boards from culinary stores. Trace around the front of the lens, then add 2x the depth that you want to the diameter and cut out the circle. Then cut wedges equal to the difference in circumference between the inner circle and outer, and fold them down, then use a good grade of electricialn's tape (I like 3M because it's thin and flexible and the adhesive doesn't get gummy over time) to cover and keep the sides in shape.

it's a little strange that you bring this up now -- yesterday, I noticed that my 03 cap was getting too loose, and I used some of the 3m tape to make it fit tighter. . .

Scott

08-19-2013, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Hi NotSteve
Try a Pipe endcap from a Building Supply or Plumbing Store.
They are plastic,var.Colors used on Steel and/or EMT pipes
to protect the ends.I have a blue one in my hand and it is very
tight on the FE.

Ted
08-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #6

Original Poster
Wow, that was fast. Thanks to each of you for all the great suggestions! The 03 is such a winner on the Q -- gotta make sure it stays protected. Looks like a trip to the hardware store is in order.
08-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had the misfortune to loose my 03 cap in Tokyo recently.

When I had time at night, I made a hood out of card and some tape.
That tided me over till I gave in and just bought a replacement from the Pentax Forum (in Shinjuku)

08-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
Wow, that was fast. Thanks to each of you for all the great suggestions! The 03 is such a winner on the Q -- gotta make sure it stays protected. Looks like a trip to the hardware store is in order.

Hi
Let us know how it goes,if you can't find one,PM me and i'll send you one.
Good Luck.

Ted
08-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

So, naturally I can order a replacement for about $10 + tx and shipping from any number of places, but that really seems a bit pricey.
LOL... That seems more than a bit pricey.
08-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, 10 USD is actually cheep . I need a MH-RA 49 hood for the FA43, its here 52,- Euro (about 45,- USD). I think I'm going to make one from a filter ring + short tube glued to it
08-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
I need a MH-RA 49 hood for the FA43, its here 52,- Euro (about 45,- USD).
Agreed... That is a ripoff.
08-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #12

Original Poster
Well, I guess no one picks up photography because it's a cheap hobby, at least not most ordinary folk.

Anyhow Kobayashi, I sympathize, that is crazy expensive for a hood. On the other hand I think generic 49mm thread hoods are readily available on ebay... I was fortunate that when I broke the hood for my 55-300mm, a generic duplicate item was easily found online for much cheaper price than the OEM part.

For the 03 fisheye, I just got such a sense of deja vu looking at the lens cap when I still had it -- it seemed terribly familiar, but I couldn't place where I'd seen one before. I mean it is so generic it probably isn't even a lens cap but something else that someone at Pentax stumbled across.

Anyhow, very good leads given by forum members to find the right item. Pipe end caps located at Lowe's, but far too big. Will update when I get it sorted. Alternatively, thanks very much for the kind offer to send one Ted. I'll you know.

Well, 10 USD is actually cheep . I need a MH-RA 49 hood for the FA43, its here 52,- Euro (about 45,- USD). I think I'm going to make one from a filter ring + short tube glued to it
08-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the 03 fisheye, I just got such a sense of deja vu looking at the lens cap when I still had it -- it seemed terribly familiar, but I couldn't place where I'd seen one before. I mean it is so generic it probably isn't even a lens cap but something else that someone at Pentax stumbled across.
Hah Hah! Mine just came today and I had (still having) precisely the same discomfiting sensation. There are throw-away end caps on all kinds of partially assembled household furnishings to protect them during shipping - I think that's what I'm remembering (I save that kind of stuff in a big jar on my workbench).

Or it is some kind of bottle cap with the threads shaved off the inside.
08-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi Kobayashi,

I picked up one of these for my FA 50/1.4 and F 50/1.7. It's not an OEM copy relatively light plastic, but hasn't proven to be fragile, and it's convenient enough -- snaps on like a pinch cap, either forward for use, or reversed for storage, and a 49mm pinch cap will fit on it while reversed. Being square, I doubt that the shorter FL will cause any vignetting. Might be worth a try.

Sorry for taking an OT turn. . .

Scott
08-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Here's a thing to remember with the cap for the 03, though... If you look at the inside, there are little protrusions that stop the cap from making contact with the convex front element. If you stick something else on there, unless it's deep enough for the focusing ring to stop it, it might rub up against the glass. That's what I'd be concerned about with a DIY cap on that particular lens. If it was a regular flat lens with filter threads, it wouldn't be a problem.