Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #1

future of the q

The q7 looks great, but what would make you upgrade your q body?

For me it is something unexpected... I recently took my q to Sri Lanka and realised that the poor screen visibility in intense light was a big drawback & also made me realise that I probably don't take the camera with me as much as I should due to the fact that I live in a desert with intense sunlight... so, an optical viewfinder would be the one thing that would make me change up. Is it even possible?

Obviously it would add to the size, but they could possibly sell two body's side by side with different specs and price points.

Also, I want the wide angle zoom to be released asap. This would make all the difference to me. After being on safari in Sri Lanka I've also decided I need the 06 zoom, the 02 just ran out of reach sometimes, even though our driver was a madman and got us as close to the animals as possible.

08-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use an optical viewfinder in the hotshoe and that works well for me. I am VERY happy with my 06, what a gem.
08-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I use an optical viewfinder in the hotshoe and that works well for me. I am VERY happy with my 06, what a gem.
But if you use one in the hotshoe, do you not need one for each lens? Or will the standard Pentax viewfinder work with all lenses.
08-21-2013, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bluefoam Quote
But if you use one in the hotshoe, do you not need one for each lens? Or will the standard Pentax viewfinder work with all lenses.
I use an older VF from a rangefinder that has multiple guide lines so its good for several lenses.

08-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Hi bluefoam,

It should be mentioned that the LCD becomes substantially more usable in sunlight if you turn the brightness up to max via the menu.

Let's hope that an improvement in the LCD is in the future for the Q system. I'd like to see a higher res, higher refresh rate (maybe an OLED) LCD in future models. An optional EVF would also be a nice addition.

Personally, I wouldn't mind either or both of these meant a slight increase in body size -- but make it on the right hand side if possible. With the OEM K2Q adapter, there's very little left to grasp with the right hand. Bragging rights to the smallest interchangeable lens camera don't mean much to me. . .though I do prefer smaller to bigger in general when it comes to photo gear.

Scott
08-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

The Q7 might be enough to get me to upgrade -- I'll wait till there are more thorough reviews and side-by-side comparisons available to see if there's been much of a jump in IQ and higher-ISO performance.

Re features, better focus peaking would be nice, as would more options for customizing the front knob.
08-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #7

For me it is something unexpected... I recently took my q to Sri Lanka and realised that the poor screen visibility in intense light was a big drawback & also made me realise that I probably don't take the camera with me as much as I should due to the fact that I live in a desert with intense sunlight... so, an optical viewfinder would be the one thing that would make me change up. Is it even possible?

Obviously it would add to the size, but they could possibly sell two body's side by side with different specs and price points.

Also, I want the wide angle zoom to be released asap. This would make all the difference to me. After being on safari in Sri Lanka I've also decided I need the 06 zoom, the 02 just ran out of reach sometimes, even though our driver was a madman and got us as close to the animals as possible.
The Q and the K-01 platforms need an an EVF option. That would be a solution the problem.
08-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I really love my Q, but to be perfectly honest, the IQ and battery life has frustrated me.

I'm hoping when more and more reviews come on-line that the larger sensor makes the case to upgrade.

If not, then I will continue to take my K-01 out more (when I don't want my full-on K5) as I seem to be using that because of the native K-Mount option.

Besides, the K-01 uses the same battery as my K5.

08-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Wow, I'm 100% satisfied with the IQ of the original Q.
Nothing would make me upgrade, it's great just as it is.
After a mag-alloy Q I'd not want to go to plastic either..
08-21-2013, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think I would upgrade bodies soon after my current body bites the dust. I really like the Q. It's a fun camera that fits in well with my current setup. I can't justify upgrading bodies now though, so I have to wait until something happens to the current body.

QuoteQuote:
There is a non-loupe product (LCD film) that eliminates glare that has been given a hearty recommendation by a Floridian PF member:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-mirrorless-camera-discussion/23410...inkin-evf.html

And I'm eager to get my hands on it, but it'll have to wait until I get back from my trip.

The LCD washout thing bothers me too, especially since I dim my LCD almost all the way to help conserve battery. Luckily I am mostly using the 03 fishy these days, so I can just literally blindly point it in the general direction of what I want to take a picture of.

QuoteQuote:
I'm still salivating over the supposed 100mm equivalent (macro) prime.