Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Fujian 35mm

QuoteOriginally posted by Travis Butler Quote
I admit, I was never that fond of the 35mm Fujian when I tried it; I thought several D-mount cine lenses beat it, like the Kern-Paillard 36mm and any of the Elgeet 38mm f/1.8s.
First, I want to apologize for essentially highjacking this thread by mentioning the c-mount alternative. I never expected the comparison to K mount to attract this much attention.

All of the alternatives possible are interesting if you are willing to experiment. It does seem that the D-mounts present a bit more of a challenge due to the smaller image circle and the issues with registration distance. Then again, many fine cine-specific lenses were made for that mount.

By the way, as far as the registration distance on the Fujian 35mm is concerned (for Gibby and others sharing this lens and mount), I just picked up a nice, thin 1" diameter O ring - hardware store garden variety - for less than $1, and the fit is perfect due to how the ring compresses and allows for a nice tight match screwed to the correct registration distance. This is a fine fix to achieve infinity (I prefer to allow for just a bit past infinity - but you can set it exactly just as easily).

Travis, it is likely that the older Fujian 35mm you tried had the oddball 6-blade aperture that probably gave unacceptable bokeh and poorer overall edge performance. While this lens is not terribly impressive once you open past about f/2.4, it is particularly good at the middle apertures (f/4-8) as long as you are avoiding direct light on the lens. It does appear that the 12-blade redesign has made a difference in the overall image quality. (Although the other design can give you a very interesting alternative perspective, as well.)

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 08-30-2013 at 08:21 AM.
08-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
The jello effect is also called the Rolling Shutter Effect, and shows up when there is horizontal movement while the sensor is still scanning.
If you try panning to follow a moving subject, you'll most likely see the tilt in the foreground. Instead of just blur, there's a horizontal displacement for every succeeding row, so something that would normally be just blurred with a mechanical shutter CMOS camera will appear tilted, with the lower rows of the image frame displaced in the direction of the panning motion.
This was the effect that old-time photographers like Jaques Henri Lartigue
used to obtain with focal-plane shutters:

08-30-2013, 05:26 AM   #33

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
afaik is the jello effect caused by rolling shutter but ... isnt jello what u get when u record videos ?!
wobbeling corners and stuff ... anyway i wanted to ask something else

i ordered the Q and also wanna get a c-mount adapter ... is there any difference in quality between different adapters ?!
08-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Differences in C mount adapters

No doubt about it there are differences. The biggest difference is the ability to adjust the collar - you should see that there are set screws along the sides. That way you can align the focus and/or aperture on top just like conventional mounting. The adapter I found on ebay was a precision fit with excellent coating that matches well with the Q exterior. At about $8 shipped free I am sure that I'll just plan on buying another one of these for each lens I add.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 08-30-2013 at 08:33 AM.
08-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
By the way, as far as the registration distance on the Fujian 35mm is concerned (for Gabby and others sharing this lens and mount), I just picked up a nice, thin 1" diameter O ring - hardware store garden variety - for less than $1, and the fit is perfect due to how the ring compresses and allows for a nice tight match screwed to the correct registration distance. This is a fine fix to achieve infinity (I prefer to allow for just a bit past infinity - but you can set it exactly just as easily).
I'm pretty sure mine achieves infinity focus as it is, without further modification. But now you've got me wondering...